• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 31, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aschumacher

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Allen Schumacher
Wayne...If you loose +12 volts to the coil its gonna stop right now! You've been here for a while. Broken wire...ignition sw...safety sw some where?? Go get the wire diagram and chase 'er down !
thumbsup.gif
...don't forget points and connecting wire.

WAYNE - Yes, loss of ignition can shut an engine down just like turning off the key. If the side of the engine was real oily there may be oil on the points.

And sorry, but a .020" O/S K341 is still just a 16 HP engine. In round numbers, it's .384 CID more than stock.... so MAYBE 16.17 HP @ 2.25 CID per HP, 36 CID divided by 16 HP.

Wayne,

Did you hard wire the coil like Dave suggested BEFORE you went to all of this other work??

Wayne,

You said in your first post that you had fire. How were you testing it? My 1250 acted the same once, but only occasional spark. It turned out that my points had arced across the gap.

I have read that a spark plug can fire in open air and still not work under compression.

Steve B & Wayne

this is great because I`am having trouble with my 62 Original. ran good last fall but hunted , So I pushed it in my shop this spring and replaced the fuel bowl and now have no spark at the plug
bash.gif
.I have fire to the points but none at the plug (no spark)
1a_scratchhead.gif
. I`am
lurking.gif

Dtanner: if you use a test light on the - post of the coil while you are cranking the engine over, you should get a blinking light. If the light is on solid , no blinking the points are not working and the engine won't run.

Steve-

Answer in short...no. I guess I jumped the gun but the oil had me baffled and I wanted to find the source. After I checked and had spark I shot some gas in the carb with no results. Will there be a time when the engine does or doesn't do something that will cause oil to bathe the side of the engine below the breather (other than the little hole getting plugged)? I recently had the same thing happen with the 129 and it apparently was just failing gaskets.

I did all of this head work because it's something I usually do to all "new" cubs but this engine ran very well so I held off. There was one head bolt that would have been bad trouble in a year or two. It was rusted and the 3/8" impact wouldn't remove it. I used a 1/2" impact and it came on out. I also did all of the other stuff like resurface the head etc. so I'll know where it stands.

Tomorrow I'll attack with a test light, meter, etc. until I find something. I'm also waiting on paint to dry. I always clean and paint the head bolt heads and washers with high heat paint for instance. It's these little things that always take so much time.

At this point everything points to what you all are saying. It almost has to be electrical.

I certainly appreciate all of the response; you guys are the best.

hey guys got my clutch working right! chased the threads and installed a new lock nut on the adjusting rod for the lever, but I have it wrenched down all the way to where the threads are done. It should be ok for a little longer, until I replace/fix the lever.

my new problem is now I can't find my reference's from before I disconnected the wiring harness. I believe I have it all figured out except for a wire that runs from a small box on the engine on the left side. It either goes to the coil or the generator. I hope. You guys know what I'm talking about?

I have come to realize my tractor has been abused by the "make it work" repair shop. safety switch bypassed, makeshift throttle and choke brackets. Yup its a doozey

Well, I have been biting my tongue for about a month not because I believe in jinxs, I dont,
but I did not want to add any variables.

So tomorrow morning my two daughters and I are going on a 500 mile road trip to get a

whistling.gif

and to qoute a fellow member "nines are wild"

Patrick,
If you meen the wire coming from the points at the front left lower area, the it goes to the negetive side of the coil with the condenser.

at the bottom of the topics page go to wiring diagrams

Thanks Jeff that's where I had put it but didn't want to try it risking making things worse. I forgot to mention I had been looking over the manual's diagrams. But it wasn't really making sense to me. the magnetic switch (magneto?) is throwing me off.and why is there nothing going to the - on the coil?

Does anyone have an idea on where a replacement seat cushion and cover might be obtained? My 1250 seat is original, but in horrible condition. Through the years, I have seen seat cover kits. I haven't found one lately when I need one. A replacement Cub Cadet seat is way expensive, and I really want to retain the original metal frame, and don't care to go the aftermarket route, mainly due to the unique Cub Cadet bolt pattern.

Any thoughts as to what I should do?

Brian: I have a thought. A replacement Cub Cadet seat IS way expensive, but it should last for years (and years). I don't know what's "correct" for a 1250, high or low back seat or black or white pan, but the high back I use on my 149 worker is 4 years old and the covering is like new. (The paint doesn't take well to waxing.) You've got to try one to believe how comfortable they are. It's hard spending for a seat what some guys pay for a tractor but I think it's a good investment. Fathers' Day is coming right up - treat yourself. There's my thought, for you and all the world to see. Now for another cup of coffee.
coffee.gif
happy.gif

Jeff-

I hope it's in perfect condition and the seller wants it gone so bad he's paying you.

Good luck!!!!

Brian-

I agree with Frank about the new seat purchase but one other way would be simply check out the auto upholstery shops around you. That way you could even go with leather if desired.

well guys i think i got my daughters 72 done and i believe i have the plow setup for use
i will be testing it this weekend

the main thing i know is she is happy with HER tractor
happy.gif

239557.jpg

Well I`am doing some service work on an 1862 for a friend .My loader sure comes in handy .

239568.jpg

Chris,
Nice pic of your daughter. Reminds me of my son's picture. Hummmm.....He's looking for a prom date in about 12 years.
err.gif

239571.jpg

I normally wouldn't do something like this, but this one is to freakin funny not to share!
I guess the location of the show he'll be at explains a lot, LOL

239573.jpg

Description,

here i have for sale is a cub cadet 125 tractor. this cub cadet 125 was restored about 2 years a go. it dose not have very many hours on the tractor or on the motor. the motor is a 12hp kohlor enigne is was rebuilt 2 years ago to. i have over $500.00 in the motor getting it resbuilt. the tractor as a lot of new parts on it. its got a new carburetor got a new battary the fram was all sand down to the bore metel and repanited. its got stainless steel boits all over it i have over $100.00 in stainless steel boits in this tractor .the tractor got a alumn box on it with all kinds of diffen wireing put in the box for lights. the tractor got new lights all around it front and back i it got lot of stuff on its. and there is a 38 or a 42 inch mower deck thats gos with the tractor not showen in the pics mower deck not restored.i have over $1000.00 in this tractor.
i use this as a show tractor only noth else only for tractor shows . the tractor got a new seat on it to .im getting out of showing tractors and pulling them thats why im selling this tractor this is a very very nice restored cub cadet 125.

i will be showing this tractor out at the chickentown gas and steam show this weekend of may 26 and 27 in somerset.pa 15501 if you like to see the tractor i will have it there to show

Back