• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 27, 2016

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Harry,

Thank you very much for the words of wisdom. You are absolutely right- Frank C is heavily involved in the forum, and I always see him helping out when he can. I owe him a lot, not just for him helping me out with the tin, but for answering my questions over the past few years as well.

I really do like my 108, so it is unlikely I will ever sell it, but like I've said and as you probably understand very well, it can be a bit frustrating fixing the negligence of PO's. But for what I have in it, and for how well built it is, I couldn't replace it.

I will go ahead and pull the engine and clean it out really well- it could probably use it anyway. My short time here at the forum has helped me tremendously with fixing my 108, and I am looking forward to being a part of the community for years to come. I don't intend to stop with my 108, but hopefully in the next few years I will be able to devote more time and money to this hobby that I enjoy very much. Having a support structure like this does help a lot. Thank's again Harry.

Billy D.-

One more thing to consider that I haven't seen mentioned is resurfacing the head. If the engine/tractor has been used a lot without the tins then chances are the head got pretty hot at times. I use a piece of glass with sandpaper to slowly work the mating surface back flat. It takes a little time but you will be able to see your progress as you work it. It's also good to have some compressed air with a blowgun to keep it clean as you work. Follow up with a new gasket and it should be good to go.

Just another .02 worth.

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for the extra tid bit of information. When I first bought the tractor, I had to put a head gasket on it. I didn't know it was blown, Dad spotted it and showed me how to tell. Since I had never done one before, Dad showed me how. I had him fix the head, and he did pretty much as you said to do. Things like this are easy for him, since he was a mechanic for a long time.

This is really the first year I have used it extensively, and I haven't even used it that much yet! I'm not going to use it at all until I can get the tins and put on it- I don't want to take any chances at hurting it.

As you can probably tell, I really had no idea what I was looking at when I bought it. So much was wrong with it, that in hindsight I should have probably walked away. But it is like Harry and I have talked about, for what I've done to it, and what I gave for it, it should (fingers crossed) be good to go for a while now.

Thanks again for your advice- the more time I spend on here, the more I learn about this stuff, which will make it easier for me when I buy my next one.

Billy-

Well, now that I hear you have a dad that knows wrenches then you're well ahead of the game. Get it together and work it like a red headed stepchild. You won't hurt it a bit.

Billy D.,

Be patient, you will get the 108 up to par if you are persistent. It doesn't sound like there is all that much wrong with it.
I bought my first cub(128) for about what you paid for yours. It ran ok, but after close inspection, it needed a lot of work.
I figured if I were to have something dependable, I might as well go all the way with it.
My case was a little different than yours. My cub was intended just for gardening, so I had some time to play with.
After about a year, it was finally complete. Unlike your case, I had several issues with my tractor and decided to replace anything I considered a possible problem in the future. I also stripped down every part, primed, painted, and put it all back together.
This extra work cost me more, but in the long run it will pay off. The total cost of everything with me doing all the work was around two grand. Just remember, this was a total overhaul, so your case should be much less expensive.
Either way, this is cheaper than a new one which will not last near as long as what we have!
Speaking of a money pit, let me tell you about my motorcycle. Only one word: Thousands!!
Hang in there, it will be well worth it.
ihrotate.gif

Attachments

• ihrotate.gif
    ihrotate.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 123
Hi Marty,

Thanks, I'll keep on plugging away at it. I've been going over how much I have put into it, and my figure is close to $900 (including the purchase, so about $575 in parts). I have done most of the labor myself- there were times I had to call in Dad to help, such as with the head gasket, but this has been a learning experience for me. I guess at this point im tired of 'learning' and want to enjoy the fruits of my labor, if you get my meaning.

I think that once the tin is on it, I should be able to use it quite a bit. As I've said, there is a lot to mow down here, so I am really looking forward to some seat time. I've never owned a motorcycle, but I've heard they can be money pits. Thanks again for the encouragement!

Greg, something else to consider is on the QL and WF series , when the mule drive snaps into the quick attach latch, it snaps onto the round bar that the idler brackets is mounted to. On the 82 series it attaches to the 2 short pins that are behind the bar so it sets further forward about 1 ½-2 inches. Your standard belt will not work.

The starter on the 1250 started making some racket while turning over, come to find out the nyloc nut that holds the starter drive gear,spring etc loosened up came off. Well oddly enough I turned the fly-wheel over by hand & found the spring on the on the fly-wheel...I would assume stuck to the fly-wheel magnets. No such luck for the washer and nut...no way I'm pulling the engine & removing the shroud, I'll take my chances that they don't get jammed by the screen.

Paul - hmmmmmm - I'll bet sooner or later you'll get some more racket. Why not do it now. Your 1250 pic looks pretty nice in your profile, and your personal quote says "Service As You Want To Be Served" (isn't that what your engine is saying?) Also, I believe the Kohler Service Manual has recommended maintenance for the starter. Might want to do that at the same time.

Harry,
Yes I'll surely replace the nut, washer & spring, the loose starter flopping around against the ring gear is what was making the noise. The lost nut & washer are probably stuck to the fly-wheel magnets.

Paul - there's a nice electrical stator underneath that flywheel of your 1250. If the starter drive nut and washer are stuck to the magnets do you think they might come loose some time and tear up that expensive stator? (A little time involved maintenance now could avoid an expensive maintenance issue).

Harry,
I know you are right just really don't to deal with it right now, but I guess I have to. Rather be working on the first gen. Firebird.

Paul - well now, if that 1st gen Firebird happens to be a T/A then by all means make sure it gets the attention it needs. They're certainly ain't many of them. I had a '74 T/A 455 (best car I ever owned) and would love to have it now.

My 20yr old Son cutting grass with the Newly Acquired 149,,,

His Time Ever on an IH Cadet,,, Heck Last Month was MY First time ever on a Harvester.

304840.jpg

Gosh I Love This Site!!!
ihrotate.gif

Attachments

• 304840.jpg
    304840.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 122
  • ihrotate.gif
    ihrotate.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 116
  • 304840.jpg
    304840.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 142
Jason,

I think you and your son may have the yellow and white fever!
Nothing like it!
I haven't mown much with a cub, prefer my commercial zero turn.
Now plowing, disking, and cultivating my garden is where I love to be!!!
Shift.gif
ihrotate.gif

P.S. You could take that seat to a local auto upholsterer and get it covered. I paid 70 bucks to get mine done.

Attachments

• Shift.gif
    Shift.gif
    3.1 KB · Views: 130
  • ihrotate.gif
    ihrotate.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 113
Jason,
Here's a pic of the seat on my 128.
It's been 7 years since then and it still looks that good, only a little dustier.
biggrin.gif

304844.jpg

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    419 bytes · Views: 124
  • 304844.jpg
    304844.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 122
  • 304844.jpg
    304844.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 128