• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through May 27, 2015

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ken,
Wow, that picture online looks really close!
thumbsup.gif

I would like to see a side by side comparison.

Cletus and all - I can't understand a Kohler K series (horizontal crankshaft) engine "not" having a drain plug in the oil pan. I know some of the 7hp engines have a drain plug on the side but it still has to be part of the pan. If it was not part of the pan you would never drain all the oil. I have to think the plug for Cletus's engine is hidden some place.

OP """No smoke, but terrible breath choking exhaust.
1973 cc 108 with original engine replaced in the middle 1990's is running great. Starts on first starter turnover."""

As time allowed this week:
I drained winter stablized gas from tank which had been fresh 2-3 months ago.
Replaced with fresh 2 day old ethanol gas 87 octane
and adjusted carburetor.
Resulted in about 75% reduction of objectionable exhaust fumes.
Took following photos of spark plug.

Since the cub has been run on ethanol gas for many years and didn't have bad exhaust I am holding off on the ethanol free gasoline.

Plan on installing new spark plug tomorrow and will see what gives.
Thanks,
Richard

Here are some photos that Richard was trying to post:

296981.jpg

296982.jpg

Gosh, that is an idea for a grill. Ought to just about work for even a Quiet Line!

I don't know why, but I have a very much better running 1450 since adjusting the Kohler built #30 carb to the set points given for a Kohler K301A found in the IH Cub Cadet Operators Manual 71, 102, 122, and 123. I have went over three times the information settings given in the Kohler Engine Service Manual, and there is a big difference in the starting out set points for the carbs. Yes, I know I have a K321AQS,....but I have never since seen my 1450 run so well!

I also sandblasted the recommended Champion H10C spark plug, and set that gap at .035 . Matchbook the points and I was in business!

Going to head out now and clean down the tractor. Has been raining off and on today.

ok....before i destroy what i've put a lot of work into....i have a few more questions. bear with me because when i studied engineering back in the day, i was told more than once that the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. the seals came today from ccs...you guys rock... and when i put the first spindle together, some things struck me. i'll put description of pics here in the order they appear 'cuz when i add description to the upload, it doesn't come thru.
1) this makes sense as one of the spindles has the original seal and it's close
2) pulley has good clearence see later pic
3) all 3 spindles have 2 of what should be IH-473431-R1/R2 spacers but also what appears to be an additional spacer/washer under the cup end for clearance, can't find anything on pl see next 2 pics
4) this make sense
5)seems like the pulley should be flush with the top of the spindle, but if i take out the additional spacer, the cup rubs on the spindle base. as it is, the rubbing i hear on the washer bug the crap outta me
296994.jpg

296995.jpg

296996.jpg

296997.jpg

296998.jpg

296999.jpg

297000.jpg

Can anyone tell me where the factory was and was called that made my cub cadet 70 back in the day, I'm trying to put a little information sheet together to put with my tractor when it is on show, many thanks Ewan

Latest posts

Back