• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 26, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My only other guess would be to find a manual for the 358/44GT deck to see if it gives an explanation for the hole.
The deck I have is early 1990's vintage off a 1541 (if production longevity is any indicator, it was a great design).

RYAN - I'm thinking of a pattern of holes, like three holes about 1/2" or larger around each spindle.

I know Richard Christensen put holes in the belt covers of a couple of his decks to allow debris to escape a couple years ago. I think I'd put a couple holes in my belt cover about an inch or larger around each spindle. I've never really had a problem with debris causing problems on the 50C deck under the belt cover. I might even cover the holes with some mesh to see if I can remove what little that does get in their.

I would think adding holes to a 38 or 42 inch deck would be worth while too. When I run my lawn vac on my 38" deck I put a set of modified blades on that I put "Wings" on top of the formed wings on each of the three blades. They're about an inch tall and the length of the formed wing. The added wings run within 1/8 inch of the underside of the deck housing. They really move some air and keep the clippings/leaves moving. I've seen my 38" deck suck leaves under the deck from SIX inches away from the left side of the deck. So it's begging for more air flow.

Jim D's neighbor's idea is a good one I think. When you look how a centrifugal pump works it's very similar to how the mower decks with these holes works. The fluid, air in this case, enters the pump chamber, the mower deck in this example, close to the center of the impeller, the spindle & blade on the deck. The fact there's three impellers under the deck really shouldn't effect how they work. The baffles around the blades should isolate them enough to allow them to operate independently.

Harry,
Here's the picture you requested, also some more. Question: with the hydralic lift how do I get the same heigth for mowing each time?
Tom
Charlie was here.
239461.jpg

Charlie was here.
239462.jpg

Charlie was here.
239463.jpg

Charlie was here.
239464.jpg
}

Charlie thanks for the fix
I was hoping you or Kraig would unsretch

Tom,

The std depth stop can still be used with the hyd. lift.

Dennis F.,
Thanks for your response!
thumbsup.gif

I recall you speaking of your custom, self-modified 'winged blades' awhile ago and your comments on how well they worked for you.

I may try adding a couple of 1/2" holes (left of center) to the top of the deck where they wouldn't weaken the deck nor interfere with anything - but still be within the blade shrouding area.

Wishing everyone a GREAT Memorial Day!
My gratitude to all our armed forces.

RWilke
coffee.gif

I have a 123 with a PTO driven peco vac, I'm looking for the part number for the drive belt.

Thanks Greg

Happy Memorial Day to all
war.gif

Charlie after seeing that picture I have a different outlook about having to go to work today

Nice pic Charlie...a real eye opener.

I hope everyone enjoys there weekend and takes a moment to reflect.

Since everyone likes pics I thought I'd share the new addition (headlights) to the 104 gotten from a fellow member. It was a bright, sunny day so the pic could be better (I'm no "Kraig" when it comes to pics).

239478.jpg

They aren't hooked up yet because I'm looking for an OEM switch. I may end up settling for one of Charlies aftermarket switches.

Well said Charlie! THANK YOU to all our Veterans,those currently serving our Country, and those who have given their lives to protect us. You have all made the United States of America the BEST place in the world to live!!!!

Wayne Shytle

That is a fine looking 104 you have there, ( wish it was over here , but only it it charges the bat
bash.gif
). I Used my 149 today and all of a sudden IT does not show a charge when running. I really have to get at these and get them charging as I have only two that charge the battery.

When you take, pictures try to get the sun behind you and make sure your shadow is not in the picture. Paid my insurance today for my MC and thought $375.00 a year was bad , The guy waiting behind me said don`t say a word I owe $2400.00
jawdrop.gif
. Seem a new bike over 1000 cc and the bank wants collision and IF you don`t have a license for over three years you can get a bill over $3500.00 , and age does not help with under three years with proof of insurance. Life is getting to cost more every day .

DON - WOW!!! Bike insurance is that high now?!?!

I used to insure my old RD-350 Yamahauler for less than $100/yr for full coverage and I was about 22 yrs old at the time. And I didn't even have a motorcycle classification on my license, the license bureau screwed up when I got my chauffer's license to drive trucks and didn't give me my bike license.

Don-

I know what you mean about the shadows and having the sun behind me. I was simply trying to keep MY shadow out of the pic. I can't believe MC insurance is so expensive.

Dennis-

I was thinking about that exact MC the other day. It is the one with the road pipes right?

I went to do some harrowing between the rows yesterday with the 129 after I used it to mow quite a bit of grass. As soon as I got the deck/undercarriage off and the harrow on the flywheel screen started screaming. I'm guessing it's more the mechanic than the machine.

Rick A.,

The steering column is mounted at an angle on the frame, so hanging it up by the steering wheel is not a good idea. That will not only put pressure on the bearings, it will put a lot of pressure on the housing where it is bolted to the frame. This housing is made of aluminum and could easily break!
If you sit on the tractor and push up on the wheel with your legs (use your feet from the foot rest to raise your legs) and hit the nut with a hammer it should pop loose. Remember to leave some space between the nut and the wheel so the wheel can move, but make sure the nut is down on the shaft enough so you won't mess up the threads when you hit the nut.
The whole idea is to put straight "up pressure" on the wheel and at the same time, a straight, quick "down pressure" on the shaft. This will not put any unwanted pressure on anything else.
Pulling or especially pressing at an angle usually don't work. If it does, it usually creates unwanted damage.
Patience is a good thing!!
thumbsup_old.gif

Marty-

I have a 5/8-18 grade 8 bolt and nut I use for removing steering wheels. I remove the steering wheel nut and put the regular size nut in its place. With about 1/8" clearance before the nut bottoms out I screw the bolt until it bottoms on the shaft. A bit of upward pressure and a few blows on the bolt and the wheel usually comes loose. The use of the bolt helps prevent damage and is a better target for the hammer.

This way is a tad different from the way you were explaining and is used by several people as a standard practice. I think using a nut with the full height helps get a better "grip" on the steering shaft and there's less chance for thread damage.

Picking the tractor up by the steering system is a definite no no.

Today was a good day traded a 42 inch deck for all three of these Originals!
239489.jpg

239490.jpg

Latest posts

Back