• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through May 26, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfedwards

displayname
Greg Edwards
Great new site called Eastern Garden Tractor Pulling for all pullers.....lots of pictures, links, parts advertisements, very active message board, chat room, pulling event schedules, event results, etc., etc. The official web address is www.easterngardentractorpulling.com . Check it out. You won't be disappointed. A must for any Cub Cadet pulling fan.

Howdy all
I’ve got my first pull on Saturday hopefully the rains holds of should be a pretty good turn out I got the 124 dialed in and my dad has his 125 running like a top hopefully Monday ill have some pictures of the cubby’s in action have a good one

Looks like I have to wait a month till the next pull to get some action shots of the cub we got 10.5in of rain Thursday night needless to say it was to wet to pull and most of the roads were washed away in my neck of the woods our next pulls is on july 19 happy pulling everyone

Got my first dead weight pull Thursday night 6-26-08. Made a few adjustments for this year hoping to improve on the dead weight side.

Got a little town north a couple boys bought a running sled so maybe a few extra pulls this year.

Pops

hi all, my son is gonna try some pulling this year with the tractor me and him rebuilt this winter.its a cub 100 with a 12hp block bored 30 out the head planed 50th. and ported and polished ports. ive put a new new clutch in to. but it still seems to slip particurly in 3rd gear it will never run out of power or spin it just with slip. second isnt to bad but still a little. i ordered a alluminum cluch disc and yellow spring do you guys think it will hold up?
is there any tips anyone could pass on to a new guy. thanks ,jared carson

Has anyone ever instaled a air cooled Volks Wagon motor in a cub original? I have a spare 1600cc buggy motor just sitting around the shop. I did some measurements and it looks like there's plenty of room.

Jared C.

I have a 86 with 14 horse block version on David Kirt "Killer Kohler" in it. It has a 800 pound spring (red one), split collar holding pressure on the spring and a factory clutch disk. I trued the pressure plates in a lathe before clutch was reassembled.
You can't slip a aluminun clutch very easy.
I don't have any noticeable slippage in the clutch with this setup.

DALE - I'm running the same engine combo in My 72 with the same clutch setup except I've got MWSC billet steel clutch plates. I'm going to soften up the clutch a bit someday when I get time....It's kinda excessive for a "MOW tractor" But the clutch sure doesn't slip!

Dennis,
MWSC clutch plates (or something that I built on a lathe) will be installed the next time the 86 needs clutch plates.

It seams the number one problem I've ran into is someone doesn't true the clutch plates on a lathe. That is the only way you will get a flat surface. Belt sander or a sanding disk on a grinder will not give you a flat surface.

1100 pound spring may be too much spring for your Son to push in. 800 pound spring in my 86 can be hard on my knee after a few hours of run time. I'm planning to try a 650 (blue)pound spring in the future.

The stock spring is rated for 250 pounds.

DALE - Son's 26 yrs old & weighs 275# and is 6+ ft tall.....I think He could almost compress the red spring with His bare hands!

I think next time around I'm installing a stock OEM spring with shims and/or My adjustable split collar. I have a new spring from before I got the MWSC clutch. I'd like to get back to a stock clutch lever length too because I think the T/O bearing is turning almost all the time and I hate to think what kind of grief I'm causing on the ball bearing in the reduction housing from the compression of that stiff spring. I need another clutch for the 70 anyhow so I'll make Julian happy next timne I call!

1100 pound spring comment is for Jared C.'s Son.

The only changes to 86's clutch is a 800 pound spring and a split collar behind spring....no aftermarket/modified clutch lever or clutch plates. This set up works great and is cheap. Tractor has 10.50 ags full of fluid and 60 pounds of weghts on each wheel.

dale,, my clutch spring is broke,just found that out. also just found out the spring i orderd is 800lb red spring. mine has 60lb on each wheel plus fluid in 23x10.5x12 radial carlise bar tires,,it dosnt slip in second gear but in third gear right before the front end comes up it just blows the clutch away but ill have that problem solved before long,jared

Jared,
You will notice a big difference with the red spring in your 100.
I would suggest your try to add a brace behind the clutch yoke bracket. Heavier spring will bend the cross piece that holds the yoke bracket in your 100. It will harder to keep clutch adjusted.

Wide frame tractors like my 86 have a beefier clutch yoke bracket.

How does a guy lock the rear end on these old 3 speed Cubbies? Tackling that 1st with the 106.

Pops

you can either buy a spool set-up from one of the suppliers producing them, or the cheaper route get out the trusty old welder and weld up your spider gears in the differential. Personally I like an open rear, It gives you a straighter more controlable ride down the track. But some people perfer it locked Good luck pulling

Thank you Kevin! I am making the 106 strictly a dead weight puller. I thought about the welding and may give it a try. For running down the track I got a very good 1000 for that and will be leaving that rearend alone.

Pops

Shopping for 23 x 10.50 x 12 ag (bar)tires for stock cc puller 4000 rpmer . What is your opinion on what preforms best on dirt (hard clay ) ?

Dennis-- Go to www.vogelmanufacturing.com and check out their new VM TT 23x10.50x12 pulling tires and wheels. These are designed after the Carlisles but have better rubber compound for pulling. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back