• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 25, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hydroharry

displayname
Harry Bursell
Rick and Frank - UPDATE. Frank was absolutely CORRECT (yes, chalk one up for Frank, I think that makes 2 now).
The "black positive + wire" goes to the coil, and the "white ground wire" goes to bolt/screw holding the little side panel to the frame. The hour meter (Maintenance Minder) is "not" shown in the 169 wiring diagram, but is shown on the QL diagram which has the positive going to the key switch. Here's a pic of my 169 where you can just see the white wire under the bolt to the frame, and just barely see the black wire going to the coil.
258753.jpg

Well, here she is. Needs a few tlc moments - but she runs and moves under her own power now.
258761.jpg

258762.jpg

John:
thumbsup_old.gif

Sharper eyes than mine may notice more, but the wheel weights caught my eye (I think they're the type that can also be used as inside wheel weights, maybe not with external brakes), hydraulic lift and manual release valves. I once thought that an "upgrade" to auto release valves would be a good idea but have since changed my mind.
happy.gif

Frank, you are right - I think these are 32# split weights from a gravely - but fit nicely on the 10.50's. LOL Also - as most 169s were- this was manual lift then retro'd at the dealer with hydraulic lift. Even has a spring assist on it, and rear lift as well. YAY! I just replaced the two stuck hydro relief's last night. As far as I can tell, everything else is legit. It's a November 74 model if I remember right, and the PO owned it since summer of 1976!

Rick: Can you scale that nice pic that Harry posted? If not, let us know.
happy.gif

Monday we ride!
258775.jpg

Does the little red light show on the PointSaver? (it's running). Vibration's not bad, carburetion is touchy. It's been about 7 months now since this 169 fell in here and I have the next 2 whole days to devote to it. Expect pics ('cause I can do that, too).
happy.gif

P.S. It was kind of neat to have my next door neighbor say "Wow - a Bosch Coil!"
happy.gif
happy.gif

O.K., John. My initial expense was $180 and 2 100 mile round trips. I'm now up to over the $1000 mark. Care to share? When this is up and working, I'm going to have to part with 1 or more of the herd that found homes here over the past 14 years but the 169 will have to remain one of the last ones standing.
happy.gif

Mine was $400 and Terry Davis brought it to my door from Indianapolis. Oh, and a $16 head gasket lol. Swapped a bad tire on rear that was dry rotted, swapped a front one... and the hydro valves a were a gift from a buddy.

Interestly, the guy looking at it right before me decided to pass after the seller refused to put new front wheel bearings on! Bad move on his part. Guess the lift, angle gear box and spring assist just wasn't quite enough for him. John snapped that thing up like an alligator!

What.. (insert narrow frame comment in here) Terry? lol

I know someone is gonna bring up me saying that I'm strictly a NF roundy fender kinda guy....

John - geez, she looks pretty darn complete. What's this Terry is mentioning about a right angle gear box? Did you get a tiller attaching bracket and gear box with it?

Now Frank, I think I still have everyone beat on my initial $20 acquisition price, which really only gave me the frame, rearend and engine, but as far as additional input dollars I'll bet I'm over $2,000 with the engine rebuild and all the other parts I had to get - and the deck and snow blade ain't done yet either. On the other hand, you can have a look at what you can get for about $2500 new these days and you really can't even call them a tractor. And those things you throw away in 10 years - where a 169 is a lifetime forever keeper!

I think I see the red light too.

Harry - It did come with the rear gearbox and bracket. It won't be used on this tractor, but will be put on the shelf at my buddy's for a spare for his tiller. (He tills my garden)
bouncy.gif
I don't want to sound too excited about a wideframe, but I'd love to see what she will do out in the furrow since the rest of mine are 7, 8 and 10hp!

John - hmm, got a tiller gear box and bracket wtih it. Did Terry drop it off around "mid-night"? (They are often less expensive around that time, similar to car parts).

Frank - it's almost time to ride!!!!! What have you done to the carb? I'd expect some differences based on exhaust back pressures, but yours sound really touchy.

Frank and Harry,

That picture woll work for me...thanks.

I'm off to the garage!

We rode:
258850.jpg

Then we returned:
258851.jpg

Now it's back into the CubHouse because he's throwing out his drivepin.
Harry said 169's need male names. Meet "Andy". It's Memorial Day weekend and he's named for Private Andrew Malone. (Suppose that '66 Corvette was yellow and white)?
Lots of tweaking to do. The K341 doesn't vibrate intolerably. Getting it outside in its "natural state" seemed to help with the tuning.
Hope you all have had as good a weekend as it turned out to be, here.
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Frank-

Nice going! I'm glad you finally got to ride all of that work you've been doing.

Now, get out there and paint those wheel weights!

Wayne: Ya think? Watch this space! (I thought I was done for today but the sun's finally shining, the beer's cold and you've given me a new mission.
Thanks!
happy.gif

Wayne: Is this OK, or would you prefer white?
258856.jpg

These were patiently waiting on the shelf. White might take awhile.
happy.gif

No picture yet is a 169 manual lift needs to be restored serial #2050048521464 looks like a winter project

I think it looks a lot better Frank.

I also think it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other when it comes to choosing between white or yellow. I have and use both colors.

not sure bout the "male" thing. but if so i guess i was right in saying matilda needs a boyfriend

Latest posts

Back