Archive through May 21, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, Jared, first thought: Are your points and condensor wires on the negative terminal on the coil??
BTW: WELCOME!
groupwave.gif
smile.gif

Frank - Gaskets don't "wear out" they loose their sealing effect due to compression and not springing back to re-seal again.
IF I were to buy an engine that may be running , damn if I'd take anything off it to try on a gremlin engine !
-----------------------------------------------

Dang hillbillys showing up all over the place !!

Welcome to THE FORUM to another Kaintuck.

KENtuckyKEN,
I'm thinking that Don T. is talking to himself right about now re: that tire/tube issue...
bazooka.gif

Ryan Wilke
coffee.gif

Brian, Another trick that I have used that works well if you are trying to remove something hollow. Cut the pipe off with enough sticking out to get a hold of. From the inside,with a hacksaw blade,make two cuts length wise about 90 degrees apart,the full length of the pipe,but not cutting into the threads of the hole. Use a punch/chisel and collapse the small cut section into the large part. This will usually partially collapse the large section inward freeing it from the threads of the hole. If the small section is still attached additional cuts to free it may be required. I have used this technique on antique steam engines and boilers and it has always worked. This method works on studs if they are large enough to center drill large enough to get a saw blade in.

New troubles. I got my belt tensioner rigged to work, but now my mower deck belt keeps jumping off. I got the front [pulleys straight as I can, then I noticed that the belt is riding high and trying to come off of the deck pulley. Dont know of any way to adjust that one, or any reason for it to have come out of alignment. A couple years ago my deck lift lever stopped locking at various heights. It only has all the way up (locked by shoving a block behind it) and all the way down, so I always cut at the lowest setting. This might be why the belt is wanting to ride up and off the top edge of the pulley, but I've been using it this way for several years with no troubles before now. But when I lift the deck a bit it straightens out that belt. Is there any other reason for it to ride high on the deck pulley that I havent thought of? And how hard is it to fix the lift locking mechanism?

Went to look at the cub my dad was wrong it was a quietline 1450 with a hydro lift it was missing its side panels very rough all the levers where froze up 4 flat tires not runing
it did have a deck he wanted $450 for it
jawdrop.gif
he will have it for the rest of his life unless he runs up on a complete idiot who will buy it.This is the problem of my location if
you do find a cub the owner is verry prowd of it.

<font size="-2">Moderator edited for political correctness but not spelling...</font>

Yeah well don't feel so bad, I was talking to a guy about a 149, because it had hydro lift and hydro tranny, I was gonna buy from the guy and he turned around and sold it out from under me.

Jared: Second thought: When you crank it over can you see spark at the points?
Blackfly season in Northern Maine.
wave.gif

We're gaining! There's a chance that your coil-to-points wire is either broken or grounding out. How's your prowess with an ohm meter?
Something that's really been teasing me, lately, is funky ignition switches - ones that will turn the engine over but have to be backed off a little for the engine to start (but I'm not ready for that thought, yet).
smile.gif

It's hard, long distance and w/o pics, to diagnose both electrical and fuel problems, but wth, we're here to try to help.
angel.gif

Ken thanks, giving that a shot tonight. Wayne Miller, thanks, that was my second choice. Not as easy as the first, but will sure work.

Uhhh.... Lucas, speaking of politically correct terms.....

<font size="-2">Moderator edit: See below...</font>

You're right, Kid<font size="-2">e </font>Apalatian should have been capitalized.
asthanos.gif

I'll call my lawyer in the morning. Oh, wait, I don't have a lawyer. OK, I'll go to our new, shiny, Tractor Supply 35 miles away and buy a new tractor battery. Will a Kohler start with a battery that's branded as Briggs & Stratton?
happy.gif

Jared, sounds to me like you don't have continuity through the points. Put a voltmeter on the negative side of the coil and see if the voltage goes to zero when the points close. If it doesn't, drag a piece of paper through the points to clean them. Even new points often need cleaning. Good luck.

Paul:
thumbsup_old.gif

Electrical problems suck, but I'd rather deal with them than fuel problems! Ohm meter 101 should be a requirement for all high school graduates that don't plan to go into politics.
pcwhack.gif

Well, thought I had a chance to get a nice hydraulic tractor finally... There was an auction with a 1650 and snow blade. It was rainy and there was another local auction so I thought my chances were good. When I see it in person I realized it had front hydraulic ports with dual controls (I didnt even know you could get front hydraulics before the red ones came out), and a hydraulic blade on it! Not to mention ags, 50" deck, lights f/r, and chains. Decals look like they were just put on a paint was nearly perfect with the only wear being on the edges of the fenders and some other edges. The thing looked great. I was prepared to spend 4X as much as I did on either my other two tractors
drool.gif
... problem is it started at almost that much!
rant.gif
and when done cleared $2200
eek.gif

Only thing I took home were these two cell phone pics...

1]
190848.jpg

2]
190849.jpg

Latest posts

Back