• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 16, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A question for the hydro guys.What effect,if any,will not using a fan shroud have on a hydro unit?Is the shroud installed for fan protection or airflow deflection?Thanks,Bob.

Well, the night started out good. I spent 1.5 hours swapping 50" decks. I changed blades, sharpened them, swapped drive pulleys, put it on the 149 and got it all leveled. Started to mow the grass. It was cutting perfect, a nice flat cut pass after pass. I made about 5 rounds and I heard a couple ticks and then some banging. Here is the result.
35601.jpg

35602.jpg

35603.jpg

35604.jpg

Luckily it missed the hydraulic lines but found the filter and speed control rod.

Not sure if it is allowed here, amd I am sure it will get poofed if not. Some times its is the only way to know if it is allowed.

There is a small garden tractor show scheduled for June 24th at Arkansaw Wi.
This is located on the main street of this small village and has mostly been a showing of Simplicity and Allis lawn & garden tractors.

I plan on attending again this year, I went there a year or so ago and even tho there is no plowing event or tractor pulling it is a good chance to look over the other brands of garden tractors.

David and Dennis:

Thank you for your replies on my inquiry on connecting rods. You have answered my questions.
Thanks to all those that sent private Emails also.

thumbsup.gif

Mike F.,
Very true but I can knock almost an hour off my mowing time with the hydro verses my gear drive. This is the first time that has happened to me. It looks like one of the nuts came off the bolt and you see the results. Of course the next time I shear that rear pin in the 106, I will be happy to let someone come replace it for me. Replacing the pin in a tractor with external breaks is a rear bear.

WYATT - I stand corrected..... They were up to 7000 HP weren't they! When You described the oil cooled piston ring lands to Me I was WAY impressed with the engineering that They did. I sure wish I could fit that piston You gave Me into My K-321 at home....But the piston is bigger in diameter than the head bolt spacing so I don't think it would work without a bunch of work.....
DAVE KIRK - Thanks for Your complete explaination of aluminum connecting rods. You've had MUCH more experience in that area than I have and Roland deserved a more thorough explaination than I gave... I was rushed for time yesterday morning. About 3 years ago at the US Gran Prix Son & I saw and held a piston w/rings and connecting rod from Ferrari's 2000 vintage F-1 engine. Engine was a 3.0L V-10, piston was about 3-1/2" in diameter, two very thin rings, very thin wall wrist pin, slipper skirt design, VERY abbreviated... and the titanium rod was maybe 6 inches center-to-center. The whole assembly weighted maybe as much as a 12 HP Kohler piston without rings. Conn rod was machined billet titanium, beautiful piece of craftsmanship. IF I would have had another $100 bill in My pocket it would be sitting on My desk right now....I only had Three with me. Some Guys get ALL the GOOD STUFF, especially when price is no object! I have a technical book on Ferrari's 2004 F-1 car that describes a LOT of detail about the car and engine. Next time I come up to visit I'll bring it along! I think You'd enjoy it!

Scott T., thanks for posting those. Do you happen to have a date stamp on those photos? Or better yet how about the file name (actually a number here's an example: 123456.jpg) that is assigned to the pictures when you save them. If I had that info I could look up the text that was posted with them and find out who posted them.

Wes, ouch!

Kraig
properties shows that it was around March 18, 2003... HTH

PS... i've renamed the pics, so the original name is gone....

(Message edited by stanner on May 19, 2006)

Scott, thanks! From my archives, it was posted by Randy Taylor here's the info from the post:

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

By Randy Taylor (Rtaylor) on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 12:52 pm:

Hey John S,
I am in the process of power steering on a 149. The rotary valve is from a Green tractor (i think) not sure on the model it is made by a company called DANFOSS. The cylinder I am using is from a kubota tractor. Its still in the process but I think it will work great. The tractor will have a loader on it when its done. I also put spindles and rims on it like on a trailer 1000lb deals.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

This is my VERY 1st post...i am a complete newbie to the forums as i have been surfing the web-site for over a week now. I am suprised to find just how difficult it is to locate info on a particular model since there is NO "Model Specific" categories. This web-site has a great potential for all interested in the hobby, whether it's through restoration, service, or just for the love of it. May i suggest a category listing specific models to be the beginning point of discussion, i'm certain many of the members have knowledge on more than one model tractor and can share more easily with those who have only one model tractor. I am a collector by nature, owning one right now that is in the infant stages of restoration, and will be soon searching for another to restore. The posts i've read are in fact informative but at the same time frustrating as they wander from one model to the next randomly. If there is anything i can do to help please let me know, i pride myself in finding facts and searching for sources of information to benefit the hobby.

Scott S., welcome to the forum! Many of the topics/queries are general and can apply to more then one model and some are model specific. I see from your profile that you have a 102, and your father has a 124. These two tractors are very similar in that they are both gear drive and have narrow frames. For example, an answer to a clutch question could pertain to either. The 124 has the QA (Quick Attach) front implement mounts where the 102 is bolt on, however they can use most of the same implements. If we were to make model specific catagories some people might not find an answer to a general query. If you have any questions ask away we'll do our best to answer them.

Bobby B,

I believe fan shrouds were installed on all narrow frame hydro models. I think is was mainly for protection as removing a narrow frame drive shaft to replace a fan is difficult. The shrouds were discontinued when the wide frames were introduced. I believe cooling may have also been a consideration for the shroud as well to provide directed airflow to cool the pump. In the early days of the hydros, adequate cooling of the pump and oil seems to have had high importance because 123's and 5's (not sure on the 7 series) have the pretzel suction tube that wraps up around the hydro pump and back down to where the hydraulic filter is. It is my understanding that this was done for cooling of the Hytran fluid before entering the Hydro pump. The shroud certainly helps direct airflow to where its needed. The pretzel tube was replaced on later models with a simple L-shaped tube so I guess performance over time showed that the pretzel tube didn't do that much and adequate air flow could be obtained for cooling with just the fan and no shroud. Anyhow, that's my thoughts on the subject.

Wes -

What Kraig said! Good thing for those tunnel covers or it would've sliced thru some other plumbing...
wink.gif

As far as hydro cooling, my local dealer (who's not a dealer anymore) taught hydro repair classes at <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT>. He said that unless you're out there plowing for 12 hours on a 90+ degree day, you probably won't even need a cooling fan. Just keep it clean.

Bryan says....."unless you're out there plowing for 12 hours on a 90+ degree day, you probably won't even need a cooling fan"......been there, ALMOST done that.....
buttrock.gif

Speaking of Brinly stuff.
I stopped by an ole guys house that called yesterday and I get there and he says he has some brinly stuff I need to take home!
Well I didn't know he would load me down so heavy,300 plus pieces. He even had a display stand, to bad the top name plate is rusted, sigh!
35610.jpg

Hey John Lang,
I got some tires mounted to those wheels I bought from ya at PD11.
35611.jpg

I finally got me a set of 90# starter weights too.
I figure with these on the inside,
35614.jpg

and the 54 pounders on the outsides,
35615.jpg

and the Titans, I should be good to go for some serious traction!
biggrin.gif

Charlie,
Question ?

How are you going to attach the rim to the axle after you mount the weights to the inside of the rim.?

I see no center hole to go over the axle plate.

Latest posts

Back