• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 16, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lonny,
The starter weights bolt the the wheels and you'll notice the two little holes in the weights?
The others bolt to the starter weights.

Charlie,
I see, they don't go on the inside of the rim, they go in the dish of the rim on the out side, inside of the outer 54 pounders.

I like this style of weight for useing on the inside of the rim, seen here. 50lbs
35620.jpg

They work good on the inside of the rim for added weight for plowig as seen here, (white showing inside of rear tires)
35621.jpg

Ok, I posted a while back about having trouble with my 149 lifting (hydraulic) the deck. Charlie thought it may the linkage on the control valve. Checked the linkage and found no problem. When I dismounted the deck from the carriage and could EASILY move the lift cylinder in and out. I considered that my previous actions had either blown a seal in the cylinder or that there was air in the system. I removed what appeared to be a plug on the top of the hydro between the relief valves. When I removed it I heard a small puff of air escape. I could see the oil level and I worked the lift cylinder back and forth while pushing the lift control lever forward and backward. I saw the oil level rise and replaced the plug. I could still freely move the lift cylinder and I called it a day. When I was putting the 149 away I pulled the lift control lever and up went the deck as it should. Great!!!!!!!!!! Everything seems to be working again but now I have new questions.

How do I check the hydraulic fluid level? I can't find a resivoir of any sort.

What was that plug I opened?

And at the risk of kicking off the great debate ...... what do I top the fluid with? Now I don't need to know what's best. I just need to know what to use because I don't know what's in it now. Should I drain it and replace it with my fluid of choice after re-reading the debate over SAE 30 or Hy-tran or .....? Or is there a fluid I could use that will peacefully coexist with whatever is already in there?

On another topic, I recently scored a 36 or 42" blade with mounting bracket in excellent shape. I know I can make a lift rod but I don't recall what length it should be.

I received and installed my hump back hanger on my 147 for my 44a deck.
35630.jpg

I don't need to shim the rear mounts anymore. I can turn my wheels all the way too!
This was the before.
35631.jpg

This is the after.
35632.jpg

My deck doesn't raise up as much as I would like. I might need to make some new hanger brackets to get more height. Has anyone else done this?
35633.jpg

Terry- go with the adjustable bracket on both sides and level the way that Steve B has spelled out in the FAQ section and run Gators on it and you will love how it mows.

Terry, There are 2 different length hangers, the short ones are about 3.25 total length the other about 4". Anyone know what the 2 are used for? The adjustables make leveling easy. From what I've seen, even with the hump back, the decks don't seem to lift as far as what the 42's did.

(Message edited by jgeorg on May 20, 2006)

Terry
Have you tried FAQ-15?
Fourth paragraph where it refers to height adj.at point C. I think that is about excess wear on the pickle fork and the cross shaft that causes lift problems. Heat the pickle fork and bend it down a little and see if that helps. Or rework those worn areas with your welder.

Well it looks like I've solved my traction problem!
Start out with some wide tires,
35649.jpg

Add a little weight to the inside of the wheels,
35650.jpg

Add a touch more to the outside,
35651.jpg

I think I'm going to like this setup.
biggrin.gif

HEY ALL LONG TIME, hey charlie where did you find those ag tires, them are nice. I would like a set of them, but my carlsie ag tires do a good job i guess. Does anyone know why brinly doesn;t make a moldboard for the 510 anymore? Good thing I know how to weld
lazerburn.gif
the old 147 still running stong, just changed the hytrans and engine oil today. its been six long years since the balancing gears has been in the kohler, thank goodness for lucas.

Justin S,
You can get them from many places, I bought those through a guy I know.
I went wide for one reason only.
I do a lot of dirt work around my town and traction was a real problem with the Super lugs I had.
I've got a set of 8.50's that I'll be using for plowing instead of the 26 x 12's.

charlie,
i run a set of 10.50 and they do an awesome job plowing. my 8.50's just couldn;t get the traction i needed to pull my plow in my heavy soil. the 10.50's are also a good tire to have for tractor pulling when i do the stock class. I run about 4 lbs of air pressure in them and man do they dig but yours sure would did better. what brand are they maybe the local elevator can get them for me.
thumbsup.gif

Dennis F.,

Thanks...I'd really enjoy seeing that book and visiting with you.

Had two weeks of grass growth after the rainy spell we've had here. The Gator blades did an awesome job. Clippings are so fine and well-distributed that lawn sweeping wasn't necessary. Got mine from Carter & Gruenwald - great price and two bags of IH microwave popcorn thrown in free! They are the best!

Charlie,

I'm going to guess that the reason I didn't get a face full of hytran is because the fluid level is low. Check FAQ's but found no info. How do I check and fill the fluid level? And should I top it off with Hytran even though I don't know what's in it now. I have some concerns over fluid compatibilities.

Has anyone ever installed a fill hole in a 782 rear cover? Mine is a solid cover...and filling through the dipstick tube is a slow and messy process. I wasn't sure where to locate the fill hole to get full capacity. Or else would another rear cover with hole bolt on?

Wes Heinsohn, first, as I'm sure your aware, just teasing. It really does happen here once in awhile! Believe it or not!!! LOL.. and for me, the best time is just riding around on my tractor and doing my best to get straight cuts in the lawn. Nothing makes me happier than to see a real straight pattern. I know, it is the simple things in life. Most of the time I only use half the deck and use the hood ornament as a guide. Like I said, it's the simple things... Yes, everyone thinks I'm nuts as I'm "cutting" the same ground again and again. I can't help it. It's just quiet time I guess, it's certainly not about speed! LOL.. Thanks for the reply.

Mike

Latest posts

Back