• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 14, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry - it's out!

258502.jpg

Nice Terry! Patience is a virtue.

My dainty 105 is monstering the mowing, I'm going to have to get her a tiller or a boyfriend or something!

258504.jpg

Thanks Martin. Just took lots of lube, big pipe wrench, big hammer, big vise, and a LOT of luck! BTW - the elbow laying on top of the block is the replacement - the one removed was complete toast! Kept waiting for something to give just hoping it wasn't the block! So far, so good.

Hey Charlie, are you alright up there? I just looked at some pictures from the Park Rapids area posted by a Facebook friend, and it doesn't look good south of town. I know you are north of town, but are you in danger?

For those not quite sure of what Brian is referring to, there are wildfires in Minnesota, being whipped up by high temps and winds.... Charlie, we wanted you warmer, but not that warm....
bash.gif

Had to replace front oil seal on my 1650 yesterday, while I had the flywheel off I noticed the bearing plate bolts weren't very tight. I knew these shouldn't be as loose as they were so I snugged the up with a wrench as I didn't have a small torque wrench with me. Replaced the seal and reinstalled engine, changed oil (sae 30) and went to mow some grass, however it makes a heck of a clatter/ knock that I had not ever noticed before. I replaced the oil pan a month ago and the internals looked great. One thing I haven't done to this engine yet is check the valve lash which I will do once I get it back home, but it doesn't sound like valves to me. I could be wrong and hoping I am. Any other suggestions/recommendations? I hope she don't need a rebuild as that definitely doesn't fit into the budget.

Joseph, I'm not all that knowledgeable regarding engine building but the only thing that comes to mind seeing that the bearing plate was slightly loose, is crank shaft end play.
1a_scratchhead.gif
dunno.gif

258509.jpg

Or, perhaps the crank seal isn't quite right.
1a_scratchhead.gif
dunno.gif

258511.jpg

UNDER EDIT: I reread your post and zeroed in on the work "clatter" could it be the grass screen has come loose and is rattling/clattering in the engine shroud?

I checked the grass screen as I had that same thought. I installed the seal to the same depth as the old one and as according to the manual, which seemed to coincide. I'm perplexed and a bit down, if this needs a rebuild it will be sitting for quite some time as funds just aren't available. Also I should note that at 3/4 throttle it is quite pronounced, however at 1/4 throttle any noise is barely audible even when put under load by the hydro

Joseph, I had another thought, what is the condition of the iso mounts? Could one of them be worn to the point of metal on metal contact? I'm not well versed in Quiet Line issues (I tend to avoid wide frames...) Hopefully someone with Quiet Line experience will chime in here soon.

Iso mounts are in good condition, I had refurbed them when I did the cradle mod

Joseph J. Smith
I would run the engine so it is knocking and place a broom stick on the block and against your head and you will be able to move the stick around and find out where the noise is coming from. If the bearing plate was loose I bet the paper shim is damaged and now you have a crank end play issue. My .02

i will try the broom stick when I get it home. Would it be too much or too little end play potentially causing the noise? The part that gets me is how quiet it is even under load at 1/4 throttle.

I think mid-range and upper speed knocks can come from engine timeing.
maybe the points are too wide. I think that would advance the timeing too much..causeing pre-ignition knock....???

Joseph Smith,

The bolts holding the flywheel shroud tin may be different lengths and you may have gotten one of the longer ones incorrectly installed down by the flywheel and it is hitting it. Just a thought to check.

Martin, this may not be the place but I noticed you have a cyclone attached. I have been contemplating various systems (it takes a long time for me to decide - over analyzing)and was wondering how it performs? I have tons of live oak leaves during the year and need something. Any information is appreciated. Thank you.

Back