• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 13, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another long time listener, first time caller...
I've met alot of you at various Plow Days and such
and this question was probably already answered along time ago but I'm going to ask it anyhow...
Was it common for a 169 to have a manual lift???
I've always seen them with a Hydraulic lift...
Can someone please clue me in??? Thanks..KURT

Tedd-
Speaking firsthand (because I DID work on THE first big green track tractor) rubber tracked tractors don't work that well, at least yet, for scraper applications. JD recently pulled their willingness to warranty tracked tractors for scrapers, in returned changed the construction R1 tires from an industrial tread to a 76x50 Firestone 23deg tire, no duals but the rim bolts on using TWO cast hubs - BEEFY! Just guessing from seeing Nebraska Test numbers, the amount of pull these things can generate when hooked up might be able to tear itself apart without typical tilled-ground slippage. I think it's the STX440 that still holds the top #s for drawbar pull.

For a Cub Cadet 782 Hydro, do I HAVE to remove the back plate of the differential to drain the fluid. Is there a plug that I can remove to drain the fluid?

Also, can someone tell me if there is a relief valve on the 782 Hydro?

Thanks again,

Kurt, hydraulic lift was an option on a 169. I've seen 3 with manual lift, and Jim Chabot's was a manual lift tractor.

Wes,
Plote is one of the big players in the area, but the Plote's are big Deer John lover too. I see 'em a lot at the tractor shows.

18741.jpg

Harvey-
No, technically you don't have to, you could take the sump line that goes to the hydro and drain it from there, BUT they're ferrule'd seals and I really don't trust them not to leak once they're cracked open, been there.

As said before, and quite true, there's an advantage to pulling the rear cover in that you can wipe off the film from the inside. The film that gathers is supposed to be HyTran that's absorbed moisture. On top of that, many of us gearheads like to inspect the drive (or axle shafts
happy.gif
) for premature wear.

I want to share my Cup Cakes. I didn't package these so they snuck some JD for Rob's gang. The ones on the left are speedex.
18743.jpg

Must be a midget operating that Cub Cadet Original, or another IH touch up job. Her knees are under the dash.

Waall, Tom... she may be short 'tween the floor and the knees, but she don't look like she's havin' troubles keepin' water out of the seat-pan...

Charlie- nice edit-job on that picture, but the shadows (as always) gives it away. Wha'd it originally say?

Okay everybody...

I may be 1300 miles from the diesel project, but that doesn't mean I'm not makin' progress. Here's two pix taken the day before I left, and when I get back, I've got a little creative metalwork to do:

Gotta get the frame reinforcement and engine mounts in here. Think 26-12-12's will fit under these fenders okay? I think I'll make another set of super-spindles for this bugger...
18745.jpg

And I finally got the coupler for the marine transmission pulled off. I'll probably make a temporary cover for now (to keep dirt, etc out), but in not-too-long, I'll make a stub-shaft and cover/bearing-support/seal plate to fill this hole, hold a nice bearing, retain a stub-shaft, and accept a suitable lip-seal to give this engine a nice front PTO'able shaft.
18746.jpg

I'll hafta pull this flywheel off and make a cub-driveshaft-coupler of some type... will probably fit an automotive ring-gear to it, and mount a conventional starter where this one's s/g is located... then I'll drive an alternator off the other end, perhaps a hydraulic pump, too... dunno yet.

But once I get it operational, I'll definately bury my skull in a CC transaxle housing, and see what kind of viscous beef I can stick in there... mebbie shorten up this pair of 31-spline Dana 60FF shafts and make the housings accept FF spindle ends?

Kraig-
Don't you have some literature that will shed some light on the 169 Hydraulic lift situation? <font size="-2">Hint, hint, hint...</font>

(Message edited by aaytay on May 13, 2004)

Not too bad of a night.....my "pair of old Cub Cadet wheel weights" ended up being a pair of JD weights....2x the weight for my $50!!!!! Then the seller had a pair of 10.50 Cub Cadet tires/rims that he didn't want too bad........Good Night!!!!!!!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

And since I'm stuck here... here's what I'm doing.

I'm teaching about this box
18748.jpg

attached to this vehicle
18749.jpg

on this track
18752.jpg

in this shop
18750.jpg

in this yard
18751.jpg

And if ANYBODY ever tries to tell you that there's enough space for a person to lie flat on the track, and survive underneath a train... this should convince you otherwise. One just rolled in today that went over the top of a 55-gallon steel drum at 60mph...

It tumbled the drum underneath, and when it finally came out, the drum was about the size of a volleyball.

Dave-
That a traction control unit? Fella I worked with at a previous employer got his name on the patent when he worked for EMD.

Hy Wyatt!

No, but a little brother... it's an Auxiliary Power Supply... converts 700vdc (nominal) to 230/3ph to operate HVAC, air compressor, and traction inverter blowers. Output is around 300A.

Traction inverters for these machines are up to 700vac out (VV/VF-PWM/3ph) at oh... 600A or so... about 250hp per axle... but every axle in the train is powered, so it's total power is impressive.

In contrast, the EMD traction units I taught about 7 years ago were in the 2800v/450A range, servicing 2 motors each... 4 axles (2 traction inverters) yielding a (conservative) drawbar capability of about 3000hp... but only one powered vehicle in the consist.

Not sure this shouldn't be on the Pulling board, but Did We ever decide what color the heat shrouds & blower housing should be painted around the cylinder on a Kohler? I know We beat the topic to death about a year ago. I'm thinking White on the inside to reflect heat back into the moving air stream and black on the outside to radiate heat away. I've considered Bare, No paint, but with carbon steel, the inevitable rust is really a great insulator, especially when it get oily. I remember it was even discussed in the EAA magazine a year ago but I don't think I saved that issue.

Travis, I not so sure that Hydraulic lift was an option on the 169, especially after reading this.
<font color="ff0000">Moderator's Note: See above
Thanks Kraig and Tim D.</font>

Back