• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 11, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bryan, any chance <strike>we</strike> you can add the links to the Kohler manual downloads to the FAQ?

talk about tough plowing old feedlot quackgrass pulling hard half way done snap.Is the 982 the only hydro with a splined input shaft?
18689.jpg
18690.jpg
18691.jpg

All the Super Tractors & the later 1864 style tractors had a splined input shaft.

Not sure where the cutoff is for the type change on the newer tractors.

Hey Mike- That shaft sure bent a long way before it let go... and it didn't break where it deformed. Strange. It might've had a bend in it before it broke.

Take a look at the break from the end- is the face of the break rough all over, or smooth at one particular point? If smooth, there was a pre-existing fracture that buffed itself, and eventually the remainder of the shaft gave up.

Check your differential and bearings, make sure they're okay and running true...

Tedd- I'll put you, and another guy on the reciept list!

MIKE - Kinda made a mess of the Cat. O 3-point arms too didn't it. OUCH!

Does anyone have an illustration of how a spring assist mounts on a 147? I guess since it's not in my manual, it must have been made by somebody else.

Joel-

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Questions regarding the specific value of any particular unit, implement or whatever are not allowed. Any posts containing such queries will be removed.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Bryan must be asleep
lol.gif

Dave K.,

I'll try the voltmeter test on the battery, see how it does. The S/G hasn't been off for repairs for 8 years or so (knock on wood). Could be the S/G or the engine is
getting tired. It was rebuilt in '91. Of course, when the engine is
warm, it starts real easily, just when it has set for a week or so, it starts harder. It
seems to be turning slower than I remember it did last fall.

Thanks

Matt G. -

Asleep? Only in the meetings at HQ today.

Just working for a living - you'll learn about that some day...
lol.gif

That's why we have TWO members of the <FONT COLOR="ff0000">Democracy of Two&#153;</FONT>

Kraig -

A wonderful idea. Someday. Real soon now.
lol.gif

Mike M.
My neighbors Crapsman lawn mower lost the transmission for the second time in a couple of weeks so I loaned him the 1450 I got from you a couple of years ago. Now he won't bring it back, he is going to bring me a check next week. Do I get credit for improving the neighborhood? One less Crapsman, several more to go.

Dave K-
I think Mike's axle shows a vivid reminder why case hardening is about the best thing for axles since they put the wet in water.

Honestly, I'd have figured that splined hydro inputs and fine-spline carriers would have gone hand in hand . . . . BUT seeing that example, it's not hard to understand the design change!

Picked up a 1oo today for parts . The best thing is it was free. Will the mule drive off of it work on my original?

Keith- you're a ghoulish fan of moto-carnage!

Richard- Congrats on coercing a 'convert'!

Wyatt- that's definately the case. My gut feeling, just by the side-view of those tweaked splines, is that the shaft was tweaked sometime earlier, and just decided to give up during his barnyard-grass incident.

I've never heard anything about splines and hydro input shafts... do tell!

Dennis- I don't think the failure munched his Cat-0- I think that's just what it looked like after he disassembled the back-end.

Mike- was the C-clip still in place on the shaft when you retrieved the pieces? Kinda looks like there's a chance it might'a slid out a tad, then twisted off.

Hi all, it's been a real long time since I've posted but I saw pic of a 71 with round diamond tires. I recently purchased a 100 with these same tires. My question to those in the know. Were these a stock tire?
18709.jpg

Dave K,
You might want to re-look that pic, I'm thinkin hard ground, plow buried, axle cuttin loose and a swift left turn insued!!!

Latest posts

Back