• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 10, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hydroharry

displayname
Harry Bursell
FLASH - UPDATE - spoke with Frank C yesterday. He is alive and sounded well up there in the Great East Coast Spud-land. Guess we'll have to keep waiting for an update on his 169/K341A project unit.

Frank should contact Marlin to see if Marlin would send him a "Thumb up the Butt" emoticon!
258350.jpg

258351.jpg

This morning there's about 150' between the 2 major components. Note the low pressure washing system. That's PURPLE POWER in that thar yellow squirt bottle.
happy.gif

Frank - That 16 k is going to be a heavy haul up out of your basement ! You must show us a video of it running . I`am ready to sit back and hear that K purr.
beerchug.gif

Frank - hey I like where you located the hose off the breather cover. Looks like it's just slightly stuffed in that little space between the backing plate and the block, and once it runs a few times, heats up, it should mold itself right in place.
Now, about the getting it running part- yes we know it's a bit heavy for you to get it from the current location to that place 150' away, but since you left the carb off it should be just light enough for you to get it there
biggrin.gif

OK I have commited myself to buying the 169 I mentioned in a post about a week ago, somewhat dismanteled, somewhat restored, broken block (balance gear grenade) and so on. With his and my work schedual I will pick it up next saturday. I'll post what I have then. I'm hopping I can weld the block, no holes just a crack in the corner, we'll see.
David

Up she comes:
258460.jpg

Away we go:
258461.jpg

Reunited AND bolted in:
258462.jpg

Now for the rest of the little, picky, tie it all together stuff.
Notice you don't see me or any of my sore backed friends in these pics. I guess I'm a lot to blame (born white and guilty). I've made it a point over the years to be able to do things by myself because something in me refuses to ask for favors.
happy.gif

I hear you Frank, Seems I like helping other people but don't want help on my stuff. If I can't do it it don't need done... Guess i'm worried it won't get done my way. I'm hard headed and know it.

Frank and Keith - ya know, I think the hard head, have to do it myself stuff, is something required to be a 169 owner. At least we know there can't be more than 4005 of us.

Frank - don't forget to put the oil in it!

Hairy: The oil was in it when it came out of the cellar - it more than offset the weight of the carb.
So help me God, it runs:
258471.jpg

However: (and I'm done with it for the next couple days
bash.gif
)
I ran into a problem with it not starting and thought it was because I couldn't see fire at the points. Long story short, it wasn't that, it was that it wasn't getting gas. Evidently, the Point Saver was doing it's job!
Anyway, I ran it for 20 minutes with the gas (MMO included) dripping from the carb, shut it down, and now have to deal with the leaky carb problem but IT RUNS!
p.s. Even after that 20 minutes I hit #1 and #2 headbolts with the torque wrench and they needed retorquing. More to follow - maybe on Thursday?
happy.gif

Frank-
That pic of your engine on the 2-wheeled dolly reminded me of a story about "helping a friend".

Phone rings late one Friday night. It's a good friend. "Hey, can you help me move a fridge tomorrow morning? It shouldn't be too tough, you've got that nifty furniture dolly thingie."

Unknowingly, without asking for any further information I say, "Sure" and promptly show up at 8am the next morning with a furniture dolly in the back of my truck. When I show up at his front door, my friend says, "Oh, wheel that thing around back, I'll open the basement door." Now, I'm expecting a walkout basement door, but as I walk around the house I see a set up like yours and instantly I know we're in trouble.

Instantly the door flipped open and he goes, "Come on in!" "Clunk, clunk, clunk" I went down the stairs. The next thing I know I'm standing in a really dark, musty basement next to General Electric's Queen Mary. This thing was HUGE. It was actually a fridge on one side, and a freezer on the other side as if you bolted a fridge and stand up freezer together side by side into one unit. "Well, we're going to need my truck to pull this up." I say. He balks saying his wife doesn't want tire tracks on the lawn. So as we're hooking it up on the dolly, I say, "I'm going to get another strap from my truck, I'll be right back", and quickly disappear back up the steps.

Then I hop in the truck, drive it up on the lawn, hook a tow strap to the front bumper and walk back downstairs with the other end in my hand.

He just laughs and says, "Well, you didn't lie, you went to get another strap! Yeah, I didn't think we would get this thing up the stairs by hand anyway."

5-minutes later, "Thunk, thunk, thunk" up the steps we went... (and the lawn didn't have a mark on it from the 4X4 LOW-Range)
happy.gif

Aw, Art: What we have here is a perfect example of a thread getting sidetracked. (Derailed?). I had a wonderful moving cart. It was red, cost me $200 at our local hardware store (quite some time before it went out of business), and I lent it to my brother. He went through a divorce and the nice red cart disappeared. He did replace it - with this green POS, (IMHO).
Now, back to the 169: I've got to have a serious talk with the carburetor, retorque the head (I remembered where 1 and 2 were and just after 20 minutes of run time they'd slacked off).
More to follow.
happy.gif

Frank - <font size="+2">YIPEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!</font>

she RUNS!!!!
vroom.gif

One more closer to 4005!!!

20 minutes run time, and 30 cooling is about all you need on those head bolts, and you can retorque'm back to spec. Then run her again for 20 and cool for 30 more, and I'll bet when you check'm they are fine.

Don't have a photo handy but, I have a 169 that is alive and well. Tractor # is 513746 and the engine # is 6173475. I thought this was a 149 when I bought it, it has a dash from a 149 on it. A more Cub experienced friend noticed the 169 muffler. At this point I knew it was either a 169 engine in a 149 frame or a 149 dash on a 169. The serial is a 0048U, so there ya go. 169 with a 149 dash. I had the engine rebuilt with Kohler parts and mostly use it for snow removal and tilling.

Warren: Your story reminds me of the saying, "I would rather be lucky than good." (Perhaps I should post that on the "Idioms" thread.)

No matter how well I rebuild my 149, it will never be a 169; which is where you're starting --lucky you.
smile.gif
(imagine the graphic as green with envy)

Frank, Glad to see you got the winter project up and running. It's looking good.

Frank - it's been 5 days!!!! What's going on up there? We should'a had a report by now - WITH PICS!!!!!

Terry Davis brought me my first wide frame.... a 169.
biggrin.gif

Serial 2050048U526675
k341a 71154a S/N unlegible
sad.gif

Harry: I've reached a stalling point for now:
258639.jpg

However, the head has been torqued and retorqued several times - to the point that I now have 1.5 hours run time on the K341.
I've set the idle at about 1800 RPM for now and top end about 3700 RPM. In the process it saw about 4000 RPM and didn't fly apart! No excessive smoke.
A previous pic shows my flexible exhaust pipe that carries most fumes out of the CubHouse. I did notice a difference in the way the engine runs with the exhaust pipe off, which makes me think back pressure does make some difference.
Dave K.'s Point Saver is a little marvel! I see no spark/arcing at all on the points. The little red light is also a reminder that Dummy left the key turned on.
happy.gif

Quite a bit of vibration. I static timed it on the bench but that doesn't mean it can't use a little tweaking.
happy.gif
happy.gif

Latest posts

Back