• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 04, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why do "show" garden tractors only have 3 of the 5 lug nuts on them? Whats the point?

Hey Kraig,
Here are the pics you asked for on that orig. pto
set up. (I'll try and do these pics correctly
this time as not to anger the photo gods)
Here goes...
151169.jpg
<>
151170.jpg
<>
151171.jpg

Don T.

Are you or any of your Kohlers (on topic) still smoking?

Paul E. thank you for your instructions to find my problem with the Model 100 with no spark.

I found the 12 volts at the negative side of the coil did not change when the points were open or closed.

I removed the points then I used 600 grit sand paper, folded over, and slid this folded over sand paper between the points to clean the points. I did this several times, then I used carb cleaner to clean the points. Next I used a white business card to slide between the points to insure there was no more left over residue, after a couple times of sliding this business card through the card came out clean, no black streak on the card. I then reinstalled the points and set them to factory spec.

I turned the key and the 100 came back to life!!!!!

MATT STETAR (mstetar) Well, besides my tired arm, I blew the clutch this past winter and the battery needs a charge before every start. I guess I'm tired of piece-mealing the fixes each year and I can't afford a total restore.....We're not supposed to be talking about such things as selling our loved ones here!!

tim keefe (Tkeefe) (Are you or any of your Kohlers (on topic) still smoking?) well i did cut way down, date is not here yet but close.65 down to 15 a day. good thing i got Cubs to work on ,i`am a little grumpy lol. Later Don T
thumbsup_old.gif
greenthumb.gif

Don T.

Good to hear, keep up the good fight, I seem to go back and forth, couple of good days couple of bad days but still trying. Well back out to the garage for me, trying to set up a 38C mower for my 100 but the deck hanger subframe holes miss by about a 1/4 of an inch.

Jim S., I believe that you will just need to change the pulley on the 50A deck (to accept the 5/8" belt) and it should be good to go on your 782, with of course, the 782 deck carriage.

Tom R., make sure that the deck is setting level. The front hangers wear over time and can cause the deck to slope forward thus derailing the belt. Also, make sure the mule drive pulley mounts are not worn on the rod that goes through the mule drive bracket as that can also cause the belt to derail. Finally, reverse the belt orientation, you may have reversed it from how you had it on last year, believe it or not this WILL cause a belt to derail. I learned this last tip from David Schmidt (at least I think it was David).

Jim T., any chance you could email me high resolution versions of those photos of the PTO engagement? Please.
happy.gif
happy.gif

Karen, just curious, are you planning on buying a brand new lawn or garden tractor? In very few years a "brand new" lawn tractor will be back to nickel and dime-ing you. They don't make them like they used to, they are built as throw aways these days. I'm curious about you needing to replace the battery every year, perhaps we can get that issue resolved, it should lasts several years. No need to do a total restore, just a good going through should fix it right up. We are here to help you. You should be able to get a good used clutch for much less then a single payment on a "new" tractor. Don't give up on your loved one just yet!!!
icon_eek.gif

Greg P.,

Not sure if this helps but it at least shows the anatomy of the spindle.

<center><table border=1><tr><td>
mime_pdf.gif

SBCC-170.pdf (40.0 k)</td></tr></table></center>

GREG - Been YEARS since I had a spindle on a CI ended deck apart but if I remember right there's either a hex nut or a 3/8" bolt with a 9/16" hex head on the top of the drive pulley on each spindle, Not the zerk grease fitting but a larger hex nut or bolt that has to be removed to get the pulley off and start disassembly, an Impact wrench works best for removing them. Then carefully and systematically remove all the spacers, washers, & bearings and clean them up a bit and lay them in the order they came apart. The bearings are just smaller tapered roller bearings, probably Timken & tiny Chicago Rawhide or National seals just like the front wheels of older cars & light trucks used for decades.
When half of all the parts are out, the bottom bearing, seal, & spacers come out the bottom of the spindle with the spindle shaft. Seems like there was a sectioned view a page or two back in this forum You could look at. Parts have to go back in the right order or You'll run out of room LONG before You run out of parts when reassembling.

Kraig,
I'll try,but I have to warn you, My computer skills aren't exactly awe inspiring.

Karen: Instead of buying new one start looking for a 149, 1450, 1650, 782 and such that has had a good home. Keep the old guy to play with!

You will be money ahead and something that is easy to work on and will last you a lot longer than the "box stores".

Oh is that how we start a hobby!!!!

Pops

Thanks Ron and Kraig, At least I know I can get it work with little to no problems.

Hi Fellow Cubbies,
I'm new here, but have owned a model 86 for about 6 years mow with it every summer. I did change the 8hp over to a 12hp works better. I kept all of the original parts. Well after lurking here for a while I finally broke down and hunted an old Original seriel#4791 with the timing belt style deck. It does run and move about good in all gears, smokes and has a piston slap, deck is in ok shape and does work, but is very noisy. I also picked up a Model 102 but haven't got it home yet. The 102 came with a snowblower, mower deck and the box on the back with the flat steel hitch.From what I see here these are adicting. I have taken some photos of the Original! I will post photos of it as soon as I figure out how to make smaller!

Roderick, and all the new members of late, WELCOME!
groupwave.gif

Hi again,
Well lets try this and see how well they come out now!
151193.jpg

151194.jpg

151195.jpg

151196.jpg

Latest posts

Back