Archive through May 03, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

rwerner

Sorry fellas, No harm mint in my posting, THanks for all the good advise. I will try to
re-familurrize myself with the rules of the post.
I too support the SUPPORTERS of the SITE. If that makes sense.

Kraig- I was on Nick Q's 782D at that point. Maybe Travis was jealous that I was smelling #2 fumes and he wasn't?

Travis- Got rid of the bugs huh?...
rofl.gif

(Message edited by rmull on May 03, 2004)

Thanks Charlie. If there's one person I can always count on to give me "the finger", it's you...<font size="-2">and as a friend, I'd do the same for you!</font>
happy.gif

Dave Kamp,

If the rod cap bolts were still tight, one thing that can cause the cap to fatigue fail is overreving the engine. Maybe the previous owner had the governor speed set too high.

I recently purchased a nicely refurbished Cub 129 (love it). Apart from a few annoyances, it is in great running condition.

The chief annoyance is the PTO engagement disc. The three pronged disk fails to find its way back into the 3 slots located on the engine once it is running(forgive my ignorance re: specific part names -- I have a manual on order). Therefore, I have to disengage the PTO manually. I have tinkered with the PTO engagement lever set-up extensively but to no avail.

I believe that the issue is that the 3 prong disc seems to be at an angle so that only the top two prongs engage (I think that all 3 should engage). Either that, or perhaps the slots on the engine are warn down too much. Also, is the disc supposed to "float" between the PTO lever disk and the engine? It seems that the only thing keeping the 3 prong disk from flying off is the PTO lever aparatus itself.

Any advice would help.

Eric-
I don't know if this is what is happening or not, but I suspect your PTO is either been damaged or is assembled incorrectly.

In about 3.8 seconds a guy named "Kraig" will be posting a picture of what a PTO looks like.

The fiber disk should not be "disengaging" from the slots of the drive pulley behind it, not to mention the fact that it should have more than 3 fingers left on it.

Are these "fingers" as you call them made of a fiber-based material, or metal?...

<font size="-2">If you have a digital camera, post a picture!</font>

I have a Original and when I mow thick grass I hear a banging sound from the mower deck. What is that sound and how do I fix it.

thanks,
Dave in Bristol, NY

David G., the Original has what is referred to as a timed deck. Most likely the blades are out of time and are hitting.
18453.jpg

18454.jpg

18455.jpg

ART - Sounds to Me like Eric's PTO clutch is missing ALL SIX of ther setscrews and the whole PTO is sliding forward on the pilot bearing.

Eric,

It sounds like your dealing with the later pto with the large disk used to brake the pto after disengagement, not the early version Kraig posted the picture of. If the three metal fingers that are on the front are not staying rotating with the pulley when the pto is engaged, there is something wrong. I had the same problem on my 129. Caused a loud rattling sound. I got a rebuild kit and it came with everything needed to solve the problem.

Terry, Eric, the link I posted shows the version with the mechanical brake and the old version like I posted below.

Charlie, what do you mean "gonna be"? I'm swamped with plow day and WFM video and photo stuff already! But go ahead and bring it on! :eek:)

B&B,
Bear with me, I just gotta post some pics of this paper that I just got, It's just way cool stuff.
18460.jpg

18461.jpg

This thing is neat!
18462.jpg

18463.jpg

18464.jpg

18465.jpg

18466.jpg

18467.jpg

18468.jpg

18469.jpg

My neighbor came buy and said I was way to excited about some old paper junk!!!

Charlie, I think you may have found the source of the saying "**** Happens!" have a second look at that Quick Way loader brochure slogan then look at the loader bucket. :eek:)

Latest posts

Back