• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 01, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jason
Try R.F.Houtz at the top of the page. He has
alot of that old cub stuff and might be able to help you.

Hello all! I have a chance to buy a Kohler k341aqs out of a JD 316. Does anyone know if it will interchange correctly with my 1650?

My motor needs to be rebuilt. I think I can buy this cheaper than rebuilding mine.

Thanks in advance! Scott-

Roland, thanks man, that was the part number all right.

So I talked to Mike M and he seems like a really nice guy, he's gonig to help me out on the trunion. I ordered all the parts that I am going to need today including the new plastic fan and rag joint. I have a question about that though, how exactly do I get the fan on the shaft? Do I need to remove it from the engine, take it out and maybe put it on a bench and hammer out the roll pin to slide off the end bracket that ataches to the rag joint? I tried pulling off the fan, but broke my clip removing tool. Advice on what to do now?

Thanks guys,
Chuck

Here are some pics for you all.
Do you think this end looks ok? This is the first time I've taken the side panels off.
27867.jpg

This doesn't look all that bad, but it could use a little work.
27868.jpg

Darn 4 dollar cheap a** tools at menards!
27869.jpg

Chuck,

Your front rag joint is shot, junk, kaput, etc.....notice how it's tore out at the yellow casting...that's bad. Replace it while you are doing the fan, it will be worth it.

BTW, have you checked the engine mounts in that 1250?? Chances are, if they haven't been recently serviced they are shot.

One other thing about QL's, check your air filter wing nut often, they have a bad habit of vibrating loose (especially with worn motor mounts) and then you lose you clean intake air, ouch.

Chuck F.
Like Steve says, replace the rag joint and while your at it check the brass bushing on the front, it is in a metal bracket. If it is bad you need to get the entire bracket. Check the shaft at that time also as they sometimes wear off at the end.

27871.jpg

Also check the rear as there is a brass bushing there also the shaft runs in. Some of the early models had a ball bearing behind the bushing on the rear. The rear bushing can be a bear to remove on the tractor, I use a pair of water pump pliars to remove it.

27872.jpg

Tachometer question,
I had another Cub follow me home. It is a 70 in good shape. I am learning small engine repair as I go and would like to know what you guys use to measure engine speed. I am unable to find anything at my local parts store and don't really know what to look for. I know this is a basic question but then I am a basic kind of guy.
Thanks, Herb

Herb G,
Vibra Tachs work pretty well. They run about $20.00.
Pocket size RPM meter that is compact, competent and inexpensive. It will tell you the RPM of any piece of revolving machinery by transforming vibrations into revolutions per minute on a gauge that is simplicity itself.
27875.jpg

Steve B,
I doubt you will loose much of anything but I have seen many side panels with holes worn in them from those dang wings nuts backing off!

SB/Charlie -

We all know that my wingnut backed off on the 1450 - luckily I caught it before it ground too far into the paint, but it did mangle the air cleaner cover a bit...
wink.gif

However, Cap'n Kirk has the solution on his site - nylock wing nuts. Work great for high vibration environments like the 169!

Charlie -

Only thing about the vibratach - not a good thing to have laying on the workbench when one (ok, I) casually tosses a CarboChlor soaked rag on the bench (and thus on the vibratach) - eats right into that plastic
lol.gif

But it still works, it's just real hard to read...

Thanks again Richard... guess I need to order a few more parts! So you're saying I might need to replace the drive shaft as well because it wears down on the end? I'll post some pictures when I get it out, Hopefully tonight if I can.

Thanks again guys,
Chuck

Charlie,

"Then you loose your <font size="+2">CLEAN INTAKE AIR</font>".......No, you won't loose the cover, yes, it will scratch up the paint....BUT MOST IMPORTANT, suck several mowings with of unfiltered crap into your engine and you will hurt your engine.

BTW, the wingnuts usually are not the culprit when it comes to holes in the side sheets, it's usually the stud, and that is caused by neglected engine mounts.

Steve B,
If I can find the pics, I've had 3 sets of panels with 2 holes from those freakin wingnuts!
Kinda makes ya wonder about the guy that owned them!!!!

Oh yea on the clean air! But guys like Bryan live where the smog is thick anyway, so it's a mute point for them.
biggrin.gif

FWIW Kohler X-276-7 is a stamped steel wingnut with a sort of plastic insert.
whistling.gif

Charlie,

Most of the ones I have seen have had the wing nut replaced many moons ago with a std. nut (overtightened to the hilt) and the stud just bores it's way right thru the sheet metal, but I'm sure it's 6 to one, half-dozen to another.......either way, not paying attention to the AC under that side sheet is a mistake!!!!!

One thing nice about the series' before the QL's and the 82 series after....the AC is right out there where you can get a visual on it (side or top) and with a quick glance make sure it's A-OK). I would bet a lot of AQS K series motors in QL's died an early death from eating dirt....it doesn't take much
sad.gif

Spent some quality time on the 782 last night mowing, and the 169 the night before tilling the garden.......endless torque and power on the tiller, and a nice smmmmoooooth ride on the mower........yeah, I'm still smiling
bouncy.gif
. Yanked the creeper and 3pt. off of the 128 last night.......582+ Plow Special project will be taking off soon!!!!!
happy.gif
happy.gif

Charlie, Steve - Those little green tractors with the Kohler engines & engine side sheets have even BIGGER problems with loose A/F covers than the Q/L's. The cover & filter can completely fall off and they get a real good helping of dust/dirt. Brother-in-law had to replace the K341 in His 216 Very early in it's life for that reason. That's about when He took over mowing duties from My Sister-i-Law....

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

I would bet a lot of AQS K series motors in QL's died an early death from eating dirt....<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

<font face="times new roman,times,roman">I meant to ask about that...

I noticed on the 1200 (my first QL) that the air comes into the cover from the inside, or flywheel side. A poor mans blower?
happy.gif
err.gif

(Now there's a silly bug - if you quote text it enlarges the font size for the text after the quote!)</font>

(Message edited by rmunday on May 04, 2005)

Rick,

Probably more along the lines of, cool inlet air as opposed to the stagnant hot air around the engine, but the "blower" effect surely didn't hurt that restrictive AC assembly either!!!!! (especially on the 14 and 16 hp)

Latest posts

Back