• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 19, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbartee

displayname
Norm Bartee
Chris,

I used a pin punch the same diameter as the pin, worked good after several applications of PB. But I'm sure a roll pin punch would work better.

You might be better off splitting the tractor and dropping the rear end to get to things better.
If you do, brace the drive shaft and coupler on the bottom with a pipe or socket and on solid ground/concrete/steel plate to lesson the bounce when hitting on it.
You might have to cut/grind one end of the pin to get it through the hole if it's mushroomed any at all, or just grind/cut it flush to have less to push through.
If all else fails, heat works most of the time on stubborn pins.
A pic or two of what your up against might help someone solve your dilemma.

What does it mean to "split" a tractor?
stupid.gif

Jeremiah C.
On an Original, it means to unbolt the forward frame from the rear reduction housing and make it into two pieces, well actually 3.
You have the main frame, The reduction housing and the transmission and differential housing that make up the complete frame assembly on and Original,
Click the Parts Look up Button above, Enter in Cadet and check out the exploded parts diagrams and you'll see.
thumbsup_old.gif

chris rolke
What I find works the best is to start off with a smaller size pin punch to get the center to move and then go back to the correct size pin punch. On coiled rolled pins and sold pins work the solid pin from both sides some and they will come out easier.Like Charlie say a little heat from a propane torch works wonders also btdt.

I backed up the rockshaft with a hydraulic jack, and like Don said, start with a smaller punch, then go to the full size pin punch when it starts to move.

i will jsut start with this statement

I HATE spiral pins

this is on the input shaft to the rear end of the original

and the frame is seperated from the rear in (along with most of the tractor is in pieces )

me trying to do the right thing and replace the input seal is the reason this started

arghh

It was a nice day today and yesterday. I had Adrian my son so I got out my 105 that been repowered with a 14hp Kohler. I live in town and there is a unused street goin to some apartments behind my house. We went for a Cub Cadet drive down that street. Adrian had a blast! I also let him drive it in the yard by himself. Now I gotta put it back in the garage. Hopfully soon I'll start the teardown and engine swap on it. I about have all the parts to make it a correct 105. I wish I could paint it. We will see. I gotta get it done so I can mess with my 72. If your in Murray and see an old Cub Cadet running down the street that will be me. LOL

I guess some of them are a real pain to get out. I started about a month before soaking it with PB blaster everytime I went to the shop.

Chris,

Charlie has the right answer. If you hit that pin more than five times, you've probably boogered it up too much to go through the hole. I always go back with a fresh pin every time I knock one out that's stubborn. A new one sure goes in a lot better!
thumbsup_old.gif

Kenneth,

How did you know about my pinup?
roflol.gif

Charlie,

I've started reading again!

Does anyone recommend putting any gasket sealer on the rear cover plate gasket?

picked this wagon up i have seen 2 of these any idea's what kind it is? thanks
222741.jpg

I'm not a tire guy, and before I knew better I told the tire salesman to "go ahead and put on a new one" even though he told me that the new tire wasn't an exact replacement for the old one. I didn't want to use a tube at the time, but I wound up having to do so anyway. (I assumed the tire was leaking; it was probably the rim.)

222743.jpg

Long story short, I wish I had not thrown the old tire away. It seems the new tire is a bit taller than the old one. (A fact I did not discover until I tried setting the toe-in after repairing the axle.) To even up the frame I either need to replace the other old tire with one that matches the new one; or I need to find a new tire that matches the old one.

I would prefer to find a match for the original tire. Does anyone know if these tires are still available? They were originally made by Goodyear and they came on my 782 manufactured in 1982/3.

222744.jpg

my stepfather just brought home a 149. he got the tractor, a qa-42 blower, and a 50 deck for 625. the tractor has hydraulic lift and the k321 runs fairly well. it smokes a little but not a whole lot, i told my stepfather that it will run like that for years. the deck is in fair condition, not horrible but in need of some repair. snow blower is about the same, its in ok condition. my stepfather's last machine was a mtd cub cadet 2135 so this machine will be quite an upgrade for him. he was extremely disappointed at the mtd cub cadet he owned, but is aware that IH made a great tractor. he had an IH cub cadet when he was younger and he still to this day talks about how strong it was. im quite sure my stepfather has been reading on this site but i dont know if i can convince him to register.

now i have a question about my deck pan for my 147. i bought a NOS 48" deck pan a few months ago. im starting to put it together since its spring and i will be mowing in the next month or so. looking on partstree i noticed that 3 different 48" deck pans were offered for narrow frame tractors. there were only minor differences between these pans. seems like the later pan did not have deck wheels and the older pans did have deck wheels. the NOS deck pan i bought does not have provisions for wheels, my old deck does have wheels. should i weld the wheels to the new pan or are they not necessary? seems like besides that difference the new pan is otherwise the same as the old pan

Norm,
Just use the gasket without sealer. The RTV sealant likes to break loose and get caught in things, especially if it's a hydro. Not a good combo. Should seal up fine.
thumbsup_old.gif

woooo hoo i got that SOB out (spiral pin)
just have to get a new spiral pin
chris

i have seen something like that somewhere ( the bed is basically a wheel barrow)
i think deere may have had something like that

Latest posts

Back