• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 19, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kweaver

displayname
KENtuckyKEN
Brian - that's step 1 ... when you're there there's a step 2 ... as per Charlie's link
53573.gif

Brian B.
When I get some spare time and Bryan gets some spare time, both FAQ's will be combined.
I'm lazy and Bryan is busy, that's my only excuse.
biggrin.gif

Mr. Weaver, I see that now and I am sorry for making the mistake, I will make sure I dont repeat, what can I say, I am not as sharp as some, but now that I know I will not make the same mistake twice.

Brian B,
Ah come on now.
The grump was just tryin to help and I don't see where he jumped on ya.
clappy.gif

You dint make any mistake, You dint piss anyone off. Be happy! and be glad we gotcha where ya needed to be.
beerchug.gif

Mike F.,
Thanks for your interest in my new-to-me 127!

I'd love to share pics with everyone, but alas, I have no camera. A digital camera was on my "Dear Santa" list last December, but I guess I was a bad boy..
dunno.gif

Ryan W
sad.gif

Lonny B.,
What did you use to clean all that black crap off of your piston so nicely?
It doesn't appear to have been simply scraped off. Maybe a wire brush on your electric drill & some fuel oil?

What prompted you to pull the head off? Was it running poorly, smoking, etc.
Ryan W
beerchug.gif

Ken M.,
Well, I should of guessed that it takes excellent prep work FIRST to get your paint job to look that good in the end! You should be proud of it!

Yep, I'd say you were real lucky with that 10HP ticking time bomb.... With my luck, it wouldn't have run another minute with broken rings for me!

Keep up the good work!
Ryan W
beerchug.gif

Ryan,
What promped me to pull the head was the blown head gasket.
There was no mistaking that, with all the oil and gunk built up on the cooling fins.
As fas as decarboning the piston and head.
Your guess was close, I used a metal putty knife and a brass wheel on my hand drill, I scraped the big chunks off with the putty knife and was careful useing the brash wheel so as not to leave any nasty marks in the top of the poston or the head.
I have another 12hp in the 129 I picked up earler in the month that also has a blown head gasket that will need changing. I have not run that motor long enough to know if it uses any oil to speek of.
I know they all will use oil, even when new, its just how much they use how fast.
I can live with a motor that uses a 1/2 quart of oil to a tank of gas. But when they get to the point of useing a full quart of oil befor the tank is dry, than its time to get rid of the motor as I have not the knowlage or patience to rebuild a motor.

Lonny B.,
Makes good sense to me. Thanks for sharing your reasoning and cleanup procedure!
Ryan W
beerchug.gif

Digger,
I'm surprised to hear you added some CERMA to your hydro unit....because I didn't see anywhere on their web page that it was ok to add to transmissions or even gear boxes. In fact, I believe in their FAQ section, they direct you to NOT add a "maintenance dose" of the product to the "transmission" or to the "drivetrain".
Ryan W
beerchug.gif

Ryan,
I never said anything about adding a "maintenance dose" to the hydro did I?
I started using this stuff before any testing was done on garden tractors.
I guess you could say I was the tester for GT's.
I used the same stuff that originally was designed for engines.
All i can tell ya is. My 1450 had a very weak reverse relief valve and after adding the Cermax, I've got a good 75% back in reverse with less than 4 hours run time on it. And it just keeps getting better.

There's also nothing on that website about air tools, hand sanders, pillow blocks on furnace fans, air compressors, leaf blowers, walk behind snow blowers or weed eaters.
BUT, I've tried it on all the above with great results. So I guess I'm still testing, LOL

Hello been awhile since I posted but I am about to change all that I am an owner of a 782 w/kt-17 that has had an abundance of problems, now I am purchasing a 582 w/ not sure of the motor at a glance it doesnt look a thing like my kt-17 but the current owner told me "it was running when I parked it there" It looks like my 782 on the "Outside" kinda it doesnt have the slide speed on the dash and it has a clutch. any info you guys could sling my way on this mower would be appreciated my kt-17 may need more tlc than I can offer right now so my plan was to possibly get the 582 up and put my deck on it. Please let me know what you think. Thanks in advance

Jack M.
Why in the world would ya want to downgrade to a 582?
That 782 with problems is still twice the tractor of a 582.
What kinda problems does it have?
Maybe we can get'um fixed for ya and save you from making a boo boo.
biggrin.gif

well it is an extremely long story but i am gettin the 582 for $50.00 and if the iron will swap itll be worth that. Anyway the 782 was my father in laws before he past away 3 years ago he blew the orig kt 17 and bought a Brand new one and it worked beautifuly after he passed I started it up to cut his property and it ran lousy I left it awhile then one day I pulled the valve cover inspection plates and found one of the intake screws hung in a valve pulled it out and it ran great was cutting grass one day 6 months after that and all of a sudden whamo the whole drivetrain dissintegrated I bout a new flywheel driveshaft and all the goodies that go with em had a new hydro line made got it all back together and running like a top yet again then one day shortly thereafter was cuting the grass and had a bang then it sounded as if it was coming apart shut her daown and did my preliminary inspection and walked away frustrated it will start and run kinda lousy cant give it any throttle. then i delved back into the other day and tried to fired her up her 3rd resurection and it seem the points may need replacing and I am sure the carb needs cleaning. anyway that is believe it or not the short version

I'm not much on red Cubs, but I'll betcha someone here will chime in with some tips for ya.
Don't give up on the ole girl just yet.
beerchug.gif

You can keep that 582 as a backup!
thumbsup.gif

Ryan,
If I rember to do so I will snap a photo or two of the motor in the 129, it has the same grease spot on the fins as the 127 did befor I pulled the head.
I am hoping that the motor in the 129 is in good of condition as the one in the 127.
They both start real good, usally fire up 3rd or 4th turn of the crank and run well.
The 127 was not showing any smoke in the exhgaust, but since I replaced the head gasket it now has a light blue haze and an occational puff of black smoke, kind of like its getting to much gas every once in a while.

Back