• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 16, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i posted here awhile back about a cub i picked up from someone (it is a cub original 1961 according to the serial number )
if you dont remember it here is a picture
186944.jpg

anyway
just trying to figure out what to do with it
i would love to put it back together but i could be a complete one for just the parts this needs.

so i am looking for any ideas

the jackshaft? spins the front wheels are rusted
one back wheel rotates

sell it ?
or see if i can put a motor to it and go from that?
so what does everyone think?

thanks for the input

Kraig,

Actually that "trailing arm" is a Radius Arm or Radius Rod. It "is a suspension member intended to control wheel motion in the longitudinal (fore-aft) plane" (Wikipedia). The one shown compensates for a worn pivot bolt. Trailing arms trail back to the axle and are usually attached to a rear axle, (see Wikipedia). Either type solves the problem of controlling axle position and movement with much less weight than brute force brackets.

JimE

Chris: I went back to your post on March 8 and that thing still doesn't look any better! Let's start the decision making with the serial # ??
coffee.gif

Jim, OK. I've always heard of them as a trailing arm, as in the arm trails behind
1a_scratchhead.gif
and usually in reference to an IFS snowmobile front suspension as was used on Polaris and Ski-Doo snowmobiles. I've always been an Arctic Cat guy, they only used that style front suspension on the 1979/80 Trail Cat, then they came out with their AFS suspension using upper and lower A-Arms. Hmmm, so the snowmobile industry has been using the wrong terminology for over 30 years.
bottom.gif
In any case, I have a Cub Cadet based project in mind, (actually it's been rolling around in my mind for several years now...
dizzy.gif
) and Eric's photo just fueled my thoughts some more, as I had been thinking of using just such a setup.

Frank

i really havent done anything yet to it

i dont remember the serial number off of the top of my head but it is definatly a first year number

Chris, is the SN 3 digit, 4 digit or? Does the front axle have a thin casting or thick casting? Do the spindle tops have the collars with roll pins or bolts through washers?

Kraig

it is like a 11xxx number i believe

the tops of the spindles are bolted
casting????

here is a pic

186949.jpg

Marty Gwin,
I just got done restoring my Original and made my own decal for a buck a piece. I got the proper fonts and ink jetted the artwork onto decal paper. The process has it's limitations: the type face isn't as crisp around the edges as I would like, BUT, if you want me to send you the file, let me know. They peel off, so, if you don't like them, it's no big deal.

All,
It's been a while. Hope everyone is doin' well. I'll post some pics of the restoration in the few days. Boy, I really like the "O". I couldn't help think while driving it that all the other subsequent IH models have a hard time matching the quality of the little 7 horse.

--Ray

Chris, in that case it looks like spare parts to me...

Ray, long time no post.
wave.gif
worthless.gif
whistling.gif

Latest posts

Back