Archive through March 05, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lynn , here is a pic of the muffler , the new one is the noise suppresion and the used one is a 169 . you just need a strieght pipe nipple for the engine side but you will need the raised top shield like from a 169 . they make a 149 sound like a 169 (almost) and are much quieter.
I picked up a bunch a while back and sold all but two that I am keeping for me . the dealer has more but he wanted to keep some .
80576.jpg

TOM R. Cub 154's do have live rear PTO to run the belly mounted mower. They're very similar to the later elec. clutches used on Cub Cadets if I remember right and run off v-belts off the driveshaft ahead of the engine clutch to the transmission. They are somewhat problematic and VERY expensive to repair. Older Cub's don't have LPTO. But, to answer Your other question I had helped Dad with farmwork for a couple years before He got His first tractor with LPTO, a FARMALL Super M-TA and frankly for some things they're fine but for other things they're a pain. If You have a LOT of close trimming You want to do You will need LPTO....but if Your mowing a wide open space with little to trim around You can get along fine without LPTO.
I think Matt has the right idea....get a bigger Cub Cadet....48, 50, maybe 60" mower....I mow 2.3 acres with close to 100 trees on it in about 2-1/2 to 3 hours with My 982 & 50" deck and I don't hurry. I could actually mow the yard faster with the old 129 & 44" deck because it would fit places for trimming the 982 can't!

Dennis - I'm calling you out on not needing a LPTO !
Hell everytime you shift gears you disengage the PTO. That means you're hitting the clutch with the torque to re-start the PTO, even minute amounts between shifts. A non LPTO will take you down a hill faster than your pincher muscles want to go too if you're running a brush cutter or something else with a heavy rotating mass. A non LPTO will also cause you to rake gears while trying to shift as it'll be rotating the trans shaft.
Before you say "over running clutch" , they're a pain and the clicking will drive ya crazy !

Tom - They're right about getting a Cub Cadet with a big deck. If you have a 16 horse Cub Cadet you'll have more horse power than a Cub Tractor
happy.gif

Speaking of PD,
Here's what the fields look like down by Travis,
80578.jpg

Here's what they look like up my way,
80579.jpg

And just in case you ever wondered just how big those heads are for the wind generators you see everywhere!
80580.jpg

I'm the new guy on the block and came here to get some help and info. Is there a chart or database somewhere that lists the Models and differences between them? I'm looking to get a 105, 107 and/or 122 and would like to find the differences. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Tom, are those truck tires on yer cub? They remind me of the tires on the F250 back when the blue oval guys came out with the "First four wheel drive pickup" available to John Q. Public... just curious

Greetings all! I love the site & your willingness to assist others. You guys are fantastic!

I purchased this 1970 Cub, model 73 a few weeks ago:
80592.jpg

I would like to kindly ask if someone could possibly provide some assistance with a valve guide issue I'm having on my new "toy".

The K161 7hp engine was WAY down on power & would smoke (oil). The head gasket was leaking badly, so I removed the head. I then found the exhaust valve in horrible shape - it has a worn/tapered top/head and the guide to stem clearance is greater than .020". How do I go about removing & replacing the valve guide without the Kohler tool that is listed in the manual?

I greatly appreciate any input and MUCH thanks in advance!

Marty

Michael; Good find. You will like the 147. Best Tractor made. imop
Ken get ready tonight for 6" snow. That will be big for us. Moved a load of dirt yesterday and the robins were after the worms. They are here early. Was 68 here.
Tom; I think a bigger cub cadet would be easier and faster.
Luther

Glen C.-

My 100 had a set of those too, and no, they aren't truck tires. That'd be a pretty small truck to use 12" rims. Anyway, Firestone made turf tires with that pattern for awhile.

Latest posts

Back