• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 29, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andrew: I would think that all the attachments for a 147 would fit the 149; they're both wide frames, and they're even from the same model run, the only difference is that the one has a manual transmission with a clutch and the other has a hydrostatic with hydralic lift. You could still pull a lot of parts off the 147 to fix the 149 (or visa versa), but the fact that neither one runs is troubling. Still, when considering the purchase price, if you want, need, and plan to use a deck, a snowblower, and a tiller, $800 may not be too much to ask, depending on THEIR condition. (It can cost a lot of money to fix a mowing deck, I'm discovering.)

Jason: Have you checked the points? It sounds to me like the coil is shorted to the block and the easiest way that could happen is through points that are closed, stuck together, and passing current.

Of course the insulation on the wire to the points could also have been abraded and is shorting to ground. Either way, current is passing from the hot side of the coil to the engine block ALL THE TIME instead of only when the engine is running and the points are alternately opening and closing.

Ken: Just so I'm clear, even though I'm working on two different decks, each with a different design, BOTH types of spindles were meant to be discarded when worn?

I'm posting a picture of a spindle from the 44" deck that I know requires full replacement. Notice that the pulley is secured differently that the first spindle I pictured.

226965.jpg

JEREMIAH - A 147 is a 14 HP NARROW FRAME Hydro, 149 is a 14 HP WIDE FRAME Hydro. Whether the attachments swap between tractors will depend on how the mule drives are set up, but I wouldn't plan on it.

On your mower deck spindles, the tapered roller bearings are not used in your style spindles, there's two rows of ball bearings, and they are NOT replacable.

You need the waterpump bearings, think they're part number ST-765 or 745, something like that. And they come complete just like you have them, new shaft, zerk, and bearings.

And when you go to get your new bearings, take LOTS of money, they're about $70 each, and the worst part is since your bearings wobble in your housings you probably need new top & bottom parts to the housings. If your doing all three spindles, just hand your check book to the parts guy and let HIM write the check.

I fixed ONE spindle on my 50C last spring, cost $170 for just that spindle. For some reason the other two were fine. Made a world of difference in how the deck mowed.

Jeremiah-

If I were you I would upgrade to the newer-style spindles that have aluminum housings and tapered roller bearings that are cheap to replace when they wear out. I think these are the part numbers: 759-3367 for the center spindle and 759-3293 for the outer, which are unfortunately about $200 each. Looking for used ones would probably be a good idea. I've slowly been swapping out the ST-745 style bearings (which are the ones you currently have) with these newer aluminum housing ones as I come across them used.

I have a 108 and last night the shifter went all floppy on me and it wont go into any gear could someone tell me what went wrong and how to fix it.

WILLIS - I think there's an FAQ on that repair. There's a stamped steel cup spot-welded inside the shifter tower that has broken loose and isn't holding the shift lever in place properly.

Pull the eight bolts off the plate that holds the shifter on and pull the plate up and the loose cup should be evident. Just a small tack weld to two should fix it right up.

I had a shift fork work loose on my #72 last weekend that I've owned for just over 30 years and I had to remove that cover for the very first time, but it had been off before, tractor was 12 yrs old when I bought it, the gasket had sealer on it. It took me about 5-6 hours to pull the whole rearend on my NF. All you have to do is pull your center frame cover!

Thanks for the reply Jeremiah.

Anybody else have any input as to the 147 attachments fitting the 149?

Dennis I looked in both FAQs and didnt find anything on repairing a manual shifter.

WILLIS - Somebody else just had this very same thing happen and asked about it....think it was in the last week. I checked and couldn't find the posts in a quick fly thru the archives.

I know KRAIG has some pic's probably. Steve Blunier did the first repair here years ago that I remember.

Back