• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 29, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hcole

displayname
henri cole
JasonH, nice lookin job with the jb seems like you've has found a good use for that stuff.

Kraig--OK, I gotcha, just didn't realize that's what's called the tension spring. I checked for those broken tabs before, as per Steve's pics--and mine is fine. I'll dig deeper into the pto clutch. I had seen a pic before of a friction disc that had some of the 'ears' broken off of it, mine isn't broken like that. Maybe it's just too thin? Any other ideas for me to keep my eyes open for when I remove the pto clutch? This aint gonna be fun though, as last time I had those set screws out I stripped one of the outer ones when re-installing. Didn't strip the threads, but I stripped the head of it out. I was hoping I could fix this problem without having to drill out set screws, but short of a miracle, I'll probably be doing some screw drilling.
bash.gif

Jarrod, sounds like mine, I bet the friction disc is just worn out (worn thin). Or it could be that one or more of the 3 adjustment screws are loose.
dunno.gif
(Some say I have a screw or two loose...... Art, no need to comment here.
clown.gif
) I'm still trying to get the last set screw out of my PTO. I have not worked on it since last Saturday, I'm about this close >< to getting the Sawzall out......
angry.gif

I have a spare PTO ready to go on so I don't really need to get this one off intact.
bazooka.gif

Hey Kraig, I stripped one of my setscrews out, so I got a hammer and the next biggest allen key out of the set, tapped it in, turned the boooger with a pair of pliars, and the pain in the ass came right out, I then pulled the PTO off, and chased the holes, and got new setscrews on order...
thumbsup.gif

AND
Has anyone ever made a ROPS system for their cub that won't get in the way of the 3point...?

I want to thank everyone for their help in solving this charging problem I had with my Cub 1450. I got a new regulator off of an internet order as that is the fastest way to get anything up here in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. I found out a thing or two though, the old regulator was mounted on the engine shroud with the cooling fins on the outside of the engine, with it mounted that way, the three terminals are dangerously close to touching the metal shroud that it is mounted to. That rectangular hole accomodated this regulator well with the fins inside of the engine shroud and the terminals are a safe distance from the shroud. I think, that maybe this is the way they are supposed to be mounted as the cooling fins are then in the cooling air flow for the engine. Any backers on this? Anyway, it is charging the battery like it should now.

Glen, I have a strong feeling that locktite was used on this setscrew. I've tried all the tricks on it. It just stripped the BRAND NEW allen wrench (Good made in the <font color="ff0000">U</font><font color="ffffff">S</font><font color="0000ff">A</font> brand). Sooooo, then after the hex head was mucked up I thought "screw extractor", drilled it a little deeper tapped in the screw extraxtor and....... it just stripped the screw extractor!
bash.gif
Funny thing is the other two pair of setscrews came out with no trouble, they look like new.
dunno.gif

Glen...
yes, although i don't know who... Here's a pic:
61735.jpg

and I don't know if it interferes w/ the 3 point... I am congering up one to work w/ one on my 149.... the one in the pic apprears to stick out far enough to still use the upper link....

Glen, ummmm, <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> did:

61737.jpg

61738.jpg

Kraig...
<font color="ff0000"><font face="arial,helvetica"><font size="+2">TORCH THE S.O.B.</font></font></font>
lazerburn.gif

Oh, and why tassles on the fringe of the canopy?

Oh, and another SNAFU with the pic... no lift lever for the hydro lift, it had the correct arm for one at least...

Glen, red stripe on the hood = 129 = standard manual lift. Note the shiny thing on the upper right side of the dash, that's a switch for the optional electric lift.
happy.gif

When ever the stripe thing gets mentioned others ask.
Here is the "code" for the stripes;
86 gold/yellow stripe
108,109 green stripe
128,129 red stripe
149,169 blue stripe

Larry M:

YOU installed the V/R correctly on that 1450. The PO did NOT.

Good that you figured that one out....
thumbsup.gif

Here's another repair I did today. The original rag joints were so far gone that the driveshaft had worn a hole all the way through the bushing in the mounting bracket. While it was wobbling around it made some serious grooves in one side of the end of the drivehsaft.

Instead of buying a new driveshaft like a normal person I welded in the grooves. The I ground it rough with a bench grinder. Then I finished it with files.

This would have been much easier with a lathe but my wife said no way could I buy a $2000 tool to fix a $40 part

Rough grind here
61757.jpg

And after filing to fit the bushing

61758.jpg

Welcome to the newbies.
wave.gif

Kevin D. A BIG HOWDY!!!! Great to see you back and posting!!!

Jason H. Your fix looks great. Good job and lots of patience has been shown in doing so.

Myron B. I'll try your suggestion tomorrow morning. Too tuckered out tonight.

Latest posts

Back