• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 22, 2017

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom F., does it have a good ground connection from the battery to the Starter Generator? Is the wiring in good condition?

Good ole Hydro-

No, you apparently don't understand because there is no "peening" going on here at all. The mechanism is clamped onto the throttle shaft with a screw and the arm for the governor linkage screws onto this clamp. Now do you follow?

I don't think they are the least bit rare because I have several carbs with this style connection.

Wayne/Hydro,

There are two different styles of throttle shafts. The early type has a die cast piece for the governor arm attachment that clamps onto the shaft. This is the style that Wayne is talking about. It will work loose with age and wear on the shaft due to the vibrations of the engine. The later design has a sheet metal piece that is swaged (peened) onto the shaft for the governor arm attachment. It is a much better design.

I have a 147 that has the early throttle shaft and the die cast piece is loose and vibrates up and down on the shaft when running. I plan to replace the shaft with the later throttle shaft design.

Thanks Ron-

I figured they were from different generations of throttle shafts. As I was tightening the clamp screw I wondered about the integrity of what appears to be an aluminum alloy. I did get it tight this time but I'll know the engine sounds should it ever come loose.

Wayne and Ron - well, I've said it before, a pic or two is worth 1000 words. I'm sure I know what you're talking about but with my lack of inventory and all the brains cells I've killed off over my lifetime, well, it's hard to remember.
beerchug.gif
Here's to you.

Attachments

• beerchug.gif
    beerchug.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 119
Kraig M, I'll check that ground wire. Would bad things happen if I used jumper cables directly to the starter from the battery to by pass all the wiring to see if it turns over better?

I'll slip this in before the close of OT Friday..
Back in '04 I bought a Scag Tiger Cub to mow with, leaving the 129 to all the heavy duty work. This influenced the two closest neighbors to also buy Scags, as I told them both, the brand was as close to a vintage Cub's toughness as I could find. One of them came with a 21 horse Kaw, the other a 25 Horse Briggs (my initial reaction was a "uh oh")...
Thursday afternoon, I was standing in my front yard watching the bigger one at work and was marveling that all three of the Scags were still running great after more than ten years, with no issues other than my starter issue a few years ago. As I stood there, Tom made a turn, I thought it bogged down and then the unmistakable sound of a now single cylinder 25 horse Briggs, blowing a little smoke and chuffing to a stop. By the sound, the other cylinder now has the piston stuffed up towards the head..

As usual, I bury my Scag every so often) The 129 made the trip across the road, and after I loosened the bypasses on the Scag's pumps,towed the Scag up to the end of the driveway to wait the overworked L&G dealer's trailer.

God, it is satisfying to have that 25 year old 12 horse Kohler in a 43 year old Cub just keep on keepin' on...
ihrotate.gif

Attachments

• ihrotate.gif
    ihrotate.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 110
Tom F., says "My 125s starter/generator turns over too slow, the battery is good and fully charged, must use starting fluid and have charger on "To Start" to get it started. If I loosen up the mowing deck to take pressure off the front pulley then it won't mow properly."

Tom, the only way the mowing deck can affect the starting of the tractor is if the PTO clutch is not fully disengaging. See if the deck belt is stationary during starting, or if it moving or trying to move. Read up on the manual for PTO adjustment and try again.

Latest posts

Back