• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 22, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrichardson

displayname
jason richardson
Art, well you know, that coming from you means????
wink.gif
crazy.gif
biggrin.gif

BTW, are you getting your money's worth out of those sandles?
blush.gif
clappy.gif

I really have to give credit to Dave Kamp for this modification. Instead of using a non standard bearing, or changing the original tube in any way. I just built up the outside race of the bearing with JB weld and turned it down so that it would be a light press fit to the steering shaft tube. Worked out pretty well. Bearing came from TSC ($2.30???). Time will tell out it will hold up.

Now I just need to be able to get the old tube out of the casting. It is really giving me fits!!
19743.jpg

A good while back (year or so) There was some talk about putting a 54" IH made snowblade on a 982. I know the lift on the 982 is setup to push the 54" Haban into the lifted position. I was thinking that someone posted a bracket of some sort that could be added to change this around so that it would pull the 54" IH made snowblade into raised position. I guess what I'm asking, is there a "Cub Cadet Made" way of putting a 54" IH blade on a 982 or would it be a custom (build your own) type of job.
19745.jpg

19746.jpg

Randy T., AFAIK you'll either have to find a Haban 54" blade or fab a mount and lift to work with the <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> blade. I have scans of the Haban 54" Blade manual (I've sent 'em to a few people, did I already send them to you?) I also have a bunch of detail photos of the Haban 54" blade I could send you so you could see what the real setup looks like.

Randy-
The blade would fit, but the subframe is of course too short. Even if you lengthened the subframe with a welder, the blade still wouldn't be "right" becuase when you lower it to the ground it is tipped too far forward because of the taller tires.

BTDT...

Jeff-
The sandals are doing just fine. Did some cubbin' in them last night as a matter of fact. Next time you're in "The Land of The Cheeze", stop over and I'll show you how well they kick!
happy.gif
biggrin.gif

Hey Guys,
Thanks For the info. I have a NOS 54" haban that I got but its missing alot(most)the of small parts. I guess its time to get the parts for it before the snow flies. I don't really want to go choppin on a good 54" IH blade or subframe just to make it work. I guess the IH 54" on a 982 was just wishful thinking (or being cheap with the Cub Funds) hehe. I will just have to bite the bullet and do it right I guess.
19748.jpg

I do have the big parts though.

Hmm, all this got me to wondering. I was at Houtz over the weekend and saw a blade.

It's probably a 48" blade with a long 2"x3" (?) bar that looks long enough to extend the length of the chassis underneath.

It has a set of short bars that come off of it at about 3' back from the blade and the end of the bar rises at an angle (assume this mounts to the rear hitch plate).

Is this a snow blade only? Will it fit on an 86?

http://home.earthlink.net/~racecuda/cubcadet/outside3.jpg has two in the picture.

(Message edited by rmunday on June 22, 2004)

JEFF - I can't WAIT for Art to post about welding in sandals! ;-)

Rick- That is for either a Rear engine rider, or a Cadet...the 86 uses the regular Cub Cadet 42" or 54" blade.

Don B., here are some photos of Originals, these may or may not be '62 models but from the details you can see in the photos they'd look pretty much the same as a '61 or '63: One of them is for sure a '62, see if you can figure out which one it is. :eek:)

19750.jpg

19751.jpg

19752.jpg

Art -

Milwaukee Road #261 will be here today:

Station: Milwaukee, WI Amtrak Station
Going To: CUS, Chicago, IL One Way
Departing: Jun 22, 2004, 10:30 am
Arriving: Jun 22, 2004, 1:30 pm
Total capacity of this train: 186 passengers.

Station: Chicago Union Station
Going To: Rock Island One Way
Departing: Jun 25, 2004, 11:00 am
Arriving: Jun 25, 2004, 5:30 pm
Total capacity of this train: 346 passengers.

Station: Davenport, IA
Going To: Savanna, IL
Departing: Jun 26, 2004, 9:00 am
Arriving: Jun 26, 2004, 5:30 pm

Station: Rock Island to Bureau Jct
Going To: Rock Island
Departing: Jun 27, 2004, 9:00 am
Arriving: Jun 27, 2004, 5:00 pm
Total capacity of this train: 346 passengers

Station: Davenport,IA Union Station
Going To: Dubuque One Way
Departing: Jun 28, 2004, 10:00 am
Arriving: Jun 28, 2004, 1:00 pm

Station: Dubuque
Going To: La Crosse,WI Amtrak Sta.
Departing: Jun 29, 2004, 10:00 am
Arriving: Jun 29, 2004, 4:00 pm

It will be back around your area for the Independence Day weekend, along with Canadian Pacific #2816 (also steam), which I think is already there (it was in the CP Bensenville, IL yard last week, tucked out of site with a RR cop keeping us out).

More pics of #261 are at http://www.mcmeen.net/Galesburg2002 when it showed up at the Galesburg Railroad Days. Unfortunately they were taken when my old Kodak was starting to head south and everything was fuzzy...

Steve Blunier,

Balancing the rotating assembly on the K341 crankshaft - only worthwhile if you have a bobweight to attach to crankpin to check the balance factor that Kohler engineers decided on.

I've found all Kohler K301, K321, and K341 engines (that I've measured) to have a recip balance factor of around 40 to 45%. Increasing counterweight mass to get a 50 to 55% BF will decrease vibration noticeably in the vertical direction, at the expense of slightly more lateral motion. It's the vertical that I think one feels on the tractor.

I'm contemplating a balancing service for my business. Customer would send their crankshaft, piston, and con rod. Parts would be weighed and correct mass added to counterweights by machining and bolting. I'm working with one forum member right now to test out how well this works. I would like to provide for under $100.00.

Update on the tachometer signal generator - Un Good! This is a tough nut - hope vacuum tubes will not be necessary. Still gnawing on it.

DAVE K. #I - Keep Us posted on the balancing & tach for the points saver. I'm kinda a few steps behind Your "Other Customer" but headed in a similar direction.

For the New Englanders (and anyone else who is interested), it appears that CAMA (Connecticut Antique Machinery Association) has put its website back online after about a 6 month hiatus. However, it is back in only a very basic format right now.

See it at:

http://www.ctamachinery.com/

For those who do not know, CAMA hosts the shows at Kent, CT that you may see reference to on this page from time to time. The Kent show has had a steadily growing Cub presence every year.

Bryan,

I hope you get better pictures of 261 than I just did. I was staking out the tracks here at work during lunch and it came within about 1/2 mile of me and stopped. 10 or so people jumped off the train and milled around for 10 minutes. Then a northbound freight came by and they decided it was was time to leave, so they took off. Unfortunately I was on the other side of the freight. Grrrr...

Went out the other morning to get the paper and noticed someone had managed to drive over my mailbox. Must have been a pretty good driver as he missed my neighbors mailbox and a power pole just a few feet away. When it's 106 degrees out putting up a new mailbox is not the highest priority on your list. Since I keep a stock of square tubing around I decided to grab the mig and make a fitting mailbox stand. Maybe later I can come up with a better mailbox, for the time being I just beat it back in shape.

19755.jpg

Hey Richard-

We had a stint here a few years back where some kids were driving over, or baseball-batting mailboxes in a friend's neighborhood. After my buddy's got whacked a few times, he took it down. I made a new mailbox shell JUST like the old one...out of 1/4" plate. Looked like the real thing... I even re-used the door and flag. Then we mounted it on a piece of 2"x3" I-beam, in a 5-gallon bucket full of concrete. He covered the beam with a 4x4 wood column and stained it to look real.

A few nights later, the kids came through, smacking all of 'em. When they hit it with a ball-bat. The bat broke, came back in through the (closed) back window of his car. They got mad and stupid, backed up, drove over it, tore a tire off the rim, ripped off one brake line, and jammed the box inside the fenderwell. The kids had a nice experience with the sherriff, the postmaster, the towtruck, repair shop, insurance company, and their folks. We touched up the exterior, and put the mailbox back up :-} nobody's done that since... :-}

Latest posts

Back