• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 21, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am looking for a complete manual for my 102 I would like to start pulling it apart to restore it

Either day should work for me to meet at RPRU.

Never been to a Red Power before. How much do you have to pay to display a tractor, and will there be space to put up a canopy?

FYI,
Because Art whined for a week to get it done,
There's a topic for the 20th Annual Red Power Roundup, July 23-25, 2009 for everyone to post in.
clappy.gif

I really need to make this my sig line I guess.

You could click the link to Binder books above to get a hard copy, Which is a VERY good idea. Or you could read the last page where I posted the link to download manuals.
6 of one and a half dozen of the other I spose.

Charlie-
I only whined for a week because it took you a whole week to "get-er-dun".
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the topic though..
thumbsup.gif

Ian,
If the tractor runs at all, you should be able to make basic checks on the workings of the electrics, the engine, clutch, transmission, and mower deck pretty easily. Some serious red flags are if the transmission pops out of gear, knocking noises from the engine, lots of smoke, etc.

Don't expect a perfect tractor, but assuming it runs, you can gauge how much work needs to be done by getting a feel for the controls, how things sound, etc. Does it look all monkey rigged? Does it look like it's sat outside for ages? How much play is in the steering, how smooth is the clutch, how does the mower deck look and sound, even the condition of the tires come into play.

If the tractor doesn't run, try and figure out why. If the engine is "stuck", it could be as easy as squirting a little oil into the cylinder and working things free, or as serious as a seized piston or rod journal. If the engine spins too freely, it could be as easy as a blown head gasket, or as serious as a broken rod. If it seems to have compression, it is probably an ignition or carburetor problem, which are usually fairly easy to fix. Checking the spark plug fouling can clue you in to the engine's condition as well. Try to spin the engine by hand to gauge an engine's condition if you don't have a working starter. It might be a good idea to bring along a charged lawn and garden battery "just in case" the owner claims the battery is dead.

If it doesn't run, you can still try to gauge the condition of the rest of tractor by doing basic checks like checking the steering, seeing how crisply it goes into gear, examining the mower deck for rust and spinning the blades by hand to check the condition of the bearings. It won't tell you as much as a running test, but it will uncover obvious problems.

With the exception of transmissions and possibly brakes, there isn't a whole lot of difference between a 100 and a 149 in the way things work. The engine, electrics, PTO and steering are very similar, and there are really only minor differences in the mower supports and mower decks.

MATT - "Spectators" cost probably around $10/person admission but remember it's for a GOOD CAUSE, IHCC Chapter #4, and The Archives. "Exibitors" get in free, and there hopefully is enough room to put up Your tent, set up Your lounge chair and open up Your cooler right by where You park Your 100. Most times the Cub Cadet Corral is so small they don't allow tents but they're pretty common in the FARMALL and International tractor areas. I haven't checked Charlie's thread on RPRU #20 yet but I posted a thread months ago in "Plow Day's & Shows" that has a link to the official RPRU website.

Son & I studied the map yesterday, short of running the M & SH down the Beltline (THAT isn't going to happen!) there's no way to get ALL the way to the Coliseum from here without running HEAVILY traveled roads or taking the bike path which is clearly posted "No Motorized Vehicles". There's supposed to be a frequent poster from RPM bringing a PTO dyno. Sure would like to get the M on a dyno for a couple minutes! The 2-1/2" dia by 2 ft stainless steel straight pipe is half blue already, Five minutes at full load would meke it ALL blue.

From what I was told earlier by Mike Schmudlach, most display tractors/vehicles at RPRU will be on pavement, including Cub Cadets, so putting up canopies may present a problem (I normally put one up) but I will try to get some more information about it.

Paul:
We use EZUP style canopies with a weight at each corner when we're on paved surfaces at scooter meets.... Just a thought
dizzy.gif

Thanks Bruce.
I got the 100 running. I was told it needed a new coil, turned out the green wire from the voltage reg was broken. Once I fixed that, and with the help of some carb cleaner, it came back to life. Still need to clean the gas tank and carb, but it seems very solid. I'll try to post some pics later. Thanks again, Ian

Kendell
I have both the EZUP type (Quick Shade brand) and a 10' x 20' conduit frame type, and planned to make some 80 lb concrete weights for the ezup's. I like to stake them down, but depending on how strong the wind is blowing, if any, the weights should work, but I have also seen the wind scoot them across the pavement, even with weights.

Can anyone tell me what a set of those 2 piece wheel weights that attach to the inside of the rear wheels rather than the outside of the wheels are worth. As I understand it, they are rather rare and worth quite a bit. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Well I need to asked for some help on a 124. I rebuilt the engine and set the govenor to static. But the engine is running to slow. how do you raise the RPMS? If I turn the governor shaft any it runs too fast. Also any hints on a good tach for these?

Daniel:
Uhhhhh you might want to check out bullet 4 in the rules - this isn't an appraisal site.. however if somebody has given you a price, you might ask if that's a fair one for the weights
thumbsup.gif

I didnt realize you were not allowed to ask the value of an item. I just aquired a set of them and was wondering what they were worth. I was not trying to sell them or even get a value so I could sell them. I have heard that they are rare and very valuable and was just curious. I apologize if I was violating any rule.

No apology needed - just trying to help a newcomer avoid the dreaded "poof" - please don't take the advise as a smackdown.. I'm sure that somebody's gonna tell you if they're rare - you might want to post a pic so the weight experts can verify what you got...

Matt, Kendell,
I just talked to Mr. Bill Kohl, the RPRU point of contact for Cub Cadets, and he said the Cub Cadets will be in the grass, and we can put up canopies. Problem solved
thumbsup.gif

Latest posts

Back