Archive through June 18, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey all, Im havin a heck of a time with my kohler, yesterday it ran fine, started right up and idled well, etc, even after being on an open trailer in the rain goin down the road a while. parked it in a friends shed over night, and now it wont run worth crap, hunts and surges except at WOT and wont idle at all, ive cleaned the carb out and the needles, tried adjusting them but I cant seem to make it happy irregardless of what i do. Any ideas? water in the fuel maybe? or a governor issue?

Tom H: +1 on the 100 pt. thing.... That OT greenie looks correct, though.

Dennis: It'd be nice to find someone with a CNC plasma to cut a bunch of them stars (hmmm - now who could do that??)- I've been aerating heavily and then light fertilzer and good grass seed in the back yard (I kinda let my yard go for a coupe of years and boy is it tough getting rid of all the weird weeds that start spreading..

Charlie or Kraig - is there any access to older than March of '03 Archives? (still can't remember exactly when I first registered, I know it was in '99, after the big crash (I was using Voyager as my ISP and Bryan commented on it - no love lost there IIRC)

Gerry, what exactly are you looking for? I do have some older stuff archived from September 2001 on. The old Voyager archives I also saved and can be found HERE I also have the early Discus archives from much of 1999.

Ok - have a k-301 with new overhaul and measuring crank end play at .001 to .002. Crank spins ok w/o binding. Book calls for .007 - .020. Am I ok? Out of shims! Bearings are seated fine. Thanks

Kraig - ahh, not much - I was just looking for my first post.....

Gerry Ide - hows the biking weather down there. I just looked at what Kraig posted and found a guy from my area was posting way back when , Peter Knowles - 10:36pm Mar 19, 1998 EST (#60 of 799) . He lives in River Port ; about 16 miles away. We did meet up a few years ago and he still has his Cub and mows his grass with it,I`am just home for a few hrs and then away for the rest of the week. I know i`am missing some great seat weather . My 125 is needing some small things painted to I can run it.Life is busy in N.S
beerchug.gif

Terry D the crank needs to grow,you need more shims ,no less than .007.David

I got the hydro to work again. The charge pump needed to be filled with Hytrans. I pulled the pressure valve and poured the Hytrans in after taking the pump back apart and checking it.

Spun it with the electric drill and the tires move and can make them go in either direction so it looks like it works again.

I have included a picture of the 125 and the funky test set up I used.

259656.jpg

259657.jpg

Glen,
It sound electrical to me. Look at the points and for any bare wires.

Thanks David. Made any homemade shims? Want this thing together yesterday!!

Hey all, Where is the light switch located on a 70/100 on tower like rest of NF? no holes drilled by IH?

I recently changed the oil, greased and otherwise checked over my 1250 Nightmare, and in doing so, I was a bit surprised to find the bolts that hold the engine to the engine cradle were all loose.

Is this something that is normal with a Quietline and needs to be periodically checked? Has anyone put in these bolts with blue Loctite, or is this not recommended?

Brian,

Definitely use loctite on those bolts. When I acquired my 1650 the engine was tight. Only two of the four bolts were left and they were loose The previous owner used it this way and the vibration eventually wore the bosses down and the bottom of the pan started to rub the cradle. This wore thin enough the pan cracked and the oil leaked out. I bought a different pan, the bosses were good but two of the holes were sorta stripped. I heli-coiled them with a locking style heli-coil. I also used lock washers when I installed the cradle to the oil pan.

Jim,

Thank you for that information. Last year, I did the engine cradle modification, and when I re-set the engine i the tractor, I used Grade 8 bolts and lock washers from Caterpillar. I thought they would stay tight. When I get some time, I will pull those bolts, one at a time, and coat them with blue Loctite. I noticed far less vibration when on a hike through the neighborhood this evening.

Thanks too, for the Helicoil information. I have another pan that has one stripped hole, and I will definitely do the locking Helicoil process to save it.

Harry: Unsure who makes ACE motor oil. Right now I need a 85.5" deck belt and I'm 40 miles away from by quickest shot at one. However -- I took the taillight bases off Andy and they're marked REFLECTO-LITE 300 SAE-PC-67
asthanos.gif
happy.gif

ok, re adjusted the point gap to .018 which pretty much eliminated the backfire issue when starting, disassembled the carb and blew out/cleaned every spot on the dang thing, new fuel lines and filter, lotta trash coming out of the tank so that is an issue but the new filter is helping that for now. Still wont idle or run past half throttle at all...is it the coil goin bad? maybe the condenser? I know that the generator stud for the positive wire is stripped out inside and I cant tighten it (PO's "rebuild") - its got the carter carb on it with only 2 needles and I cant seem to find the sweet spot. strange that literally overnight it got cranky
bash.gif

Latest posts

Back