• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 14, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kide

displayname
Gerry Ide
Wayne - wow........the 124 looks like it's grinning in that pic - probably glad it got missed.

Dennis - good to see you here...

Kraig,
I didn't say they were still around in S.D.. LOL
2 days and around 600 miles, there's 158 less there now.

Wayne S - I experienced something similar last year about this time. I had a troop of Boy Scouts at a summer camp when a derecho hit. All of the adults and Scouts huddled in a dining hall while the storm raged. It was a miracle no one was hurt. Here is a link to a video showing pictures after the storm. Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFeVds_A_Fc

125 hydrostatic rebuild -
Ok, I have my parts to put the hydro back together. Is there any tricky about changing the seals? What other issues or tricks do I need to be aware of? Thank you.

Craig, Thanks for the feedback. I haven't had much time to work on it, but I did verify adequate gas flow to the carb. The chocking did not seem to help also. I know I have a bowl gasket issue to tend to. A question I have is if the float is not adjusted correctly, what effect does that cause?

Brian: Float adjustment determines when the needle valve shuts off fuel flow to the bowl. It has to be pretty out of whack to flood or starve the motor, IMO.for that, IMO. That said...I'm an R&R guy with carbs...adjustment is not my forte.

I've never experienced this problem before and not sure what it is. There is a small black device under the seat and next to the battery that is clicking loudly when I key the ignition.

That would not bother me at all...except the starter is not doing it's thing and there is no joyful noise emanating from the motor.

I have two question:

1. What it is...and
2. Do it go bad?

I have discovered it is the starter "contactor" or "relay". Commonly called the solenoid.

Why is it not passing current to the starter?

Craig, a "clicking" solenoid is usually a sign of a weak battery or bad ground.

Craig,
The "small black device" under the seat and next to the battery, is the voltage regulator. The starter solenoid is under the dash, on the right side of the dash pedestal. You need to look at the wiring diagram for the tractor model. Look under the "Wireing Diagrams" page.

Paul & Paul:

The tractor is a 782 and the relay I'm working on is under the seat and you can feel it actuating when the ignition key is engaged.

I read a write-up on another site that mentioned when the relay begins to fail, it will take out the ignition switch, too. I had a ignition switch burn up on me last year. Replaced it...but the engine still cranks very slowly, laboriously. This is why we decided to pull and refresh the starter which is when my son unknowingly pulled the left cylinder head off, which is when I returned to my favorite forum...ihcubcadet...for learning and guidance.

Anyway, I'm just trying to get it to start to mow the lawn before father's day to keep SWMBO happy.

Could it be something as simple as a bad ground??

Hi all, I have a mule drive question. I was mowing today, and noticed that the mule drive moved off the bolts sticking out of the frame. I put it on correctly, as per my instruction manual. This is really weird, and I'm not sure why it is doing this. Pics are enclosed to show how far off the bolts they have come. I made sure they were up against the bolts, and was set correctly before putting the deck on. Did i screw something up? Is this normal, and safe? Thanks for your help.
259466.jpg

This is the Left Side of the drive
259467.jpg

This is the Right Side of the drive

Bill, Did you lock the front of the mule drive in the hooks and pull the lock bar up ...

So this 122 I'm working on has the older style bushing/bearing in the top of the steering column, the one that's tapered and sets into the metal holder that on the top of the column.

My question is what holds it into the metal piece? It I push it down in there's very little slop so it's not worn hardly at all it just wont stay home.

I know they have that little foam spacer, is that all that does the trick?

Keith-
Yep. The lock bar went all the way up, so I knew it was locked in place. I even grabbed ahold of it and pulled on the front of the drive to make sure it was in place. This has me puzzled; the darn thing was locked in, how the heck could it have moved?

Bill, it's most likely due to wear on the retaining pins and the QA latch. Get a couple of 1/2"-13 x 1-1/8" bolts and add them in. I now use them on my mower deck sub-frame and QA 42 snow thrower to keep every thing tight as it's worn enough that mine wants to do the same thing. I only use one bolt per side in the hole that has the captive nut in the frame. The excerpts from the manual below are for the non-QA 1x2/3 series.

UNDER EDIT: You might be able to use longer bolts than the 1-1/8" just be sure that they do not hit the oil pan...

259469.jpg

259470.jpg

Kraig-
Thanks, I will follow your suggestion. It makes sense that the QA is worn. Your suggestion seems reasonable. Thanks for the help everyone.

Billy J,

I see you have a 108. Check your idler shaft that the mule drive pulley arms pivot on and are installed. This shaft runs across the mule drive frame and and also locks into the quick attach slots. It could be your shaft is failing in the middle at one of the cotter key holes that hold the mule drive pulley arms in place and is deflecting to the rear due to the belt tension and consequently pushing your mule drive frame forward. I had that happen on my 149 several years ago. Hope that helps.

The 124 ended up hauling 7 loads of laps to the woods today. I don't burn maple so the farmers that work the land here are coming tomorrow to get the big stuff. They have an outside stove like ya'll northerners have.

There is still a lot of stress on a couple of large limbs that are leaning on what's left of the cedar tree. I started to take that cedar down a couple of years ago and I'm so glad now I didn't. It saved the 124. Now I'm concerned for the rest of this massive tree. I have two large limbs going right over the house. It appears that the center of the tree has rotted and the whole thing may have to come down. That will break my heart if so. It's like an old friend I've had for 30 years and has shaded most of the front yard. The cats loved their new jungle gym and were all over it this morning before the saw started running.

Latest posts

Back