Archive through June 07, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who needs 169 pictures on the main forum???

I just go to the shed.
err.gif

I learned some valuable lessons the last week of so.
1.) Those tire spoons/irons for garden tractors from Miller tire are prett nice. Very smooth and curved end, but could be a bit longer.
2.) Leaner how to not kill youself when using the either system to seat tires.
3.) In my best Elmer Fudd voice "Be vewy vewy caweful" when buying tires that come from sleeze pay or where ever that are shipped in srink wrap style condition. They are a M
censored.gif
censored.gif
R to mount! It's like mounting a square tire on a round rim. What a PITA! <font size="-2">(But I got 'em)</font>

Doug - I've removed a couple collars and my rough recollection is that the collar has a shoulder that seats in the axle carrier. I've never tried it but boring the existing collar for a bushing seems like a great idea to me. Not sure where to get bushings the right size but I would certainly like to know. Curious what you come up with as some of those old front ends are pretty rough.

What's this stuff about 169 discussions no longer being posted here on the Main Forum AND WORSE YET - maybe the 169 is an off topic tractor. There sure enough is discussions here about 169's. Heck, they are the same as the rest of the 1x9 line up cept for the engine, the hour meter, and the decals. As for being off topic - WELL, it might be the King of the Line Up, but it sure as heck ain't off topic.
I think things have been sorta quiet on here recently and just not to much posting. At least not much I could address.
In fact, I'm surprised Bill J's post didn't have a "Quick Question". I been wondering about the 1650 project.
And ole Tom H with your brand new squished tires, where were you about 15 years ago? I got the T-shirt for those things. I'm betting they were front tires.

Now, about the collar on the front axle frame channel. I believe the Service manual talks about checking it and "replacing" as necessary. I remember early in my days where I had a sloppy axle and thought one of those collars was the problem. I believe they are or were available but they did have to be welded to the channel. In my situation at the time, and everyone after I discovered there really was no problem with the collar - it was really the channel had spread open, along with the pin itself being worn. Squeezing the channel back together, and installing a new pin always solved my problem. I had seen someone else have the rear collar poppped out, and I believe they just re-welded it back on the channel. And for what it's worth, the 169 uses the same collar and channel just like the rest of the 1x9 line.

Harry - I had a axle pin problem with my 129 loader a few years back. Seems the collar will come loose from the frame . I do remember welding it back in place with a few tack welds.

259238.jpg

259239.jpg

Spot welded fast with hopes it never falls out of the frame again lol.

259240.jpg

Harry,
I've been here since '06, where were you?
I was mounting rear tirs but I've seen fronts like that too. And what's the Tee shirt story?

The collars are definitely a problem with mine.This was my Dad's tractor and has set for a long time. Apparently when he was using it the pin was frozen in the axle. The spirol pin broke and the axle and pin pivoted on the collars instead of the axle pivoting on the pin. The pin and the collars are toast of course. There was no channel spread at all.

On the axle collar/bushing topic, when I was working on my 105 recently I threw every single thing I could come up with at the steering to make it better. I bought two 3/4" ID 7/8" OD flanged bushings at my local hardware store and installed them. To be honest I changed so many things all at once I can't give you an objective assessment of what worked and what didn't. I am happier with the steering now. I switched out the "from the factory" axle and spindle set up for later Quietline style equipment. The diameter of the pin in the later axle worked well with the bushings but the axle pin I found installed would have been oversize. I don't know at all if what I started with was "from the factory" or an attempt by a previous owner to solve the same problem with a different solution. Perhaps a proper pin NF/WF would be the same. Also I only have about 6 hours on all my changes so I still have to hope I didn't create a new problem that will only show with wear!

259251.jpg

259252.jpg

259253.jpg

Good news today. Measured my crank today and it measures standard. Might be able to clean the motor up and install new rods in it after all. After the crank is completely out and all the aluminum is off I'll remeasure it to make sure.

259257.jpg

Do you think that this chunk out of the jug it missing too much?
1a_scratchhead.gif
I have considered dressing all of the edges and reusing it. The jugs have no ridge at all, I mean NONE. The cross hatching is still clear and even. What are your thoughts on this?
259258.jpg

Brian,

With that chunk out of the cylinder, I think I would have the block magnafluxed to see if there is hairline cracking that could have started as a result of the piece breaking away. It would be very possible for the breakage to continue to spread if the engine was restored with a possible weakened cylinder.

Maybe a sleeve would fix it, but I don't know. It looks scary to me, but certainly there are better engine guys than me here who will weigh in as well.

Good luck with your project. I like to see the red series run. They are nice tractors.

Hi guys and gals,

Does a 44a mower deck mate up with a 149?

Thanks,
Brian

I would have pictures of my 169 to post today but I am at work and the 169 is at home working by pulling the yard kart for my wife..
pics tomorrow

well heres one I had in my folder here

259266.jpg

Thought I'd take a picture of the vacuum cub. It's been coming in handy this year with all the grass growing going on.

259268.jpg

259269.jpg

Brian B,, I have a K301 that runs with a chunk that size missing

Brian B.:
Smooth that smile out and go with it.. It's below the rings, so it won't be taking combustion pressure and it's small enough that it won't let the piston rock... I've seen clearance like that actually put in the bottom of a block to clear rod bolts on a stroker crank....

1968 125 Hydrostatic help please -
After much debate and never ever being able to stay in neutral, I took apart the transmission. Looks like the first it has been apart. The only issues I see are the massive amounts of slop in the transmission linkage (trunnion, etc). So, I need to do something with the trunnion. My problem is I don't know how to get it out. I have driven the roll pin, is it possible to drive the pin too far? Once the pin is in the right place, how to you remove the trunnion from the swash plate? One other item, what software are people using to fix picture size and file size? Thank you.

Latest posts

Back