Archive through June 07, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Jerry,

I thought it should but after I wrestled with that thing for an hour I was wondering. Guess I new to find the right hanger. When you say hanger do you mean the mule drive?

Eric-

By "transmission" I'm assuming you mean the hydro pump. Yes you can drive the pins in too far. If that's what you've done try and turn the trunion shaft with your hand. If it moves you might be able to correct your situation. The pins are exactly 5/8" long (diameter of the trunion shaft) and this is the limit of driving when trying to remove the swashplate. The trick is to drive the pin you contact with your punch centered into the shaft. This drives the pin you can't see out the other side.

I hope you can understand this as it is hard to explain but if you can turn the shaft you may be able to move the pin just enough to allow the shaft to be removed.

Also, be sure and keep all of the pistons with the block they came from. You have nine in the pump block and nine in the motor block. It doesn't matter what hole they come from but they must remain with the block they come from.

Reassembly can be tricky so pay attention.

Good luck.

Tom H - you ain't been here since '06. You better check your calendar. You been here since '98 just like me, back when ole Bob Necker, was operating this set up. And as for the T-shirt, it just goes with the saying, Been There, Done That, Got the T-shirt - mounting those Taiwanese, Indonesia, Chinese, or where ever they may have come from. Their freight is cheaper if they flatten the tire out so they wrap that shrink wrap around them real tight to squeeze them together. I'd say it's more like a flat peg in a round whole. You must'a figured out a way to really soften'm up to get them back to some shape to work with.

Martin H - looks like you put together more of a super steer set up. The collar you installed in the back side of the channel may be to big for anything more than a 10hp engine with the flat pan. Hope it works out well for you. I hope you also got the super steer bearing and washer for the outside of the steering box while you were at it. That by itself makes the steering almost seem like a miracle improvement.

Don T - doesn't surprise me you had a collar problem on a unit with a loader. That's alot more front end pressure for everything to take.

And just to make sure there is some 169 input, I can't poste any pics today cause the sun ain't shinning out here and my camera don't have a flash
biggrin.gif

Thanks Wayne.
The pump swash plate still swivels as it would during normal operation. When I drove the pin the sound changed, so I thought it was a stopping point. If you look down the hole the pin appears to be at the depth which would make it centered in the trunnion shaft. Is there any trick to removing the trunnion shaft when the pin is centered in the shaft? If I drove the pin too far, are my only options a machine shop? Thank you.

Here's what I come up with, LOL
Tom Hoffman - 09:24am Mar 11, 1998 EST (#32 of 799)
Harry Bursell - 11:29pm May 8, 1998 EST (#234 of 800)

I guess I can't read my own profile. Oh well, back to the Hockey game now in double OT. 8-(

Eric Plavney

I thought I should add that the pin in the swash plate closes to the trunion is really TWO pins. Turn the plate to one side and then you will have clearance for the bottom pin to fall out. The instructions I had when I had my pump apart did not mention that there are two pins on that end.

Martin Healy

you have covered most of you front end and made it quite strong with the trailer stub axles. I would add a few plates as I have to make it much stronger. I did this to my 129 loader and I`am happy with the end result. Pictures tell the story.

259287.jpg

Just leave room so you don`t break off the grease fitting.btdt

Harry B - The 1650 is setting in the basement! I'm close, but got to many irons in the fire. Summer activities ain't helping either - I need more than 24 hrs in a day!

The 126 and 122 are carrying the camp duty load and my other color tractors are working the house and a few other yards here and there.

Eric-

You shouldn't need a machine shop. When/if the pin is exactly centered in the shaft the shaft should turn freely and you should be able to "work" it out. Like Don (and I) mentioned there are two pins. The pin you can see drives the inner pin and they both need to stop at a certain point. I have driven them too far but was able to turn the shaft by hand and get lucky. By turning it the pins were pushed back just enough. Another trick is constantly try and turn the shaft when driving (tapping) the pins in. Again, when they get to the right point the shaft should turn and come on out. It may help to have someone with you putting constant turn pressure on the shaft as you tap it. In other words, it's easier with three hands.

When you get it out pay attention to the washer making sure it gets put back and now's a good time to go ahead and replace the seals. There are 4 of them.

There's also a trick to putting the two halves of the pump back together. Let us know when you get that far.

Well I was able to collect on one of my birthday presents yesterday that my wife got me back in January. Was fortunate enough to see a guys private collection of Cubs. All I can say is WOW! Yep, I had a major case of
drool.gif

Spent almost 2 hours chatting with him about Cubs and looking over his collection. Surprising, he doesn't quite have one of every model yet. Extremely nice guy to talk with, knowledge like you wouldn't believe, great Cub day!

Here's a teaser of what I was able to enjoy!
259291.jpg

259292.jpg

Finally Cub with a recoil start, an electric bath tub style Cub, 50th Anniversary Edition, as well as some REALLY neat attachments!

Man, I love this addiction!

I certainly would enjoy my time at his shop! Looks more like a museum, sorry about that. I see a build going on too. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the help. I was able to get the trunnion side out. What a pain not knowing it is a two pin setup. This site is saving me.

What about the other side? Are there two pins there as well? Thanks again. Wow on the collection!

Eric-

There's only one pin in the opposite side but you need to do the tapping thing and try and get it centered as well. If not I believe you can punch the pin on through so that the shaft will slide out. That side isn't as difficult.

Mike thanks for sharing those pics,
I would love to visit that muesum/garage/shrine...

Mike P - someone has that many units on the other side of the border????? DANG!!!!!
That sure is a show case. Having one of every unit would sure be alot of machines. How long has this guy been collecting? I know a guy that was going for 2 from each series and that's still a bunch. Hey, is that an IH fridge in the corner, or a tool bin?

Brian H,

Well its the mule drive front with the two idlers and belt tensioner and the lift frame. The frame is humped up and its a little offset to one side. If you have the deck it likely has the correct lift frame. The frame from a 42" or 48" deck will not work.

Mike: Thanks for posting that. Made the sun come out on a dreary day here.
happy.gif

wow,sweet lookin collection! Wish I had a chance to go look at them in person! Any more pics??

Latest posts

Back