• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 07, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kraig
The 1100, 482, 582Special, and 580 (yellow & white or CCC version of a 582 Special) all used the Peerless transaxle. 1100 and 482 had a 11 hp single cylinder B&S engine, 580, 582 S had a 16HP B&S twin. The creeper gear is a 1st gear or "granny gear", as someone else noted. On the 482 at least, you had to lift a gate or lock out to put the shift lever into the creeper/granny gear. The 3 point hitch is the same as the wide frames/82 series except for the lift bar and the mount plate. They were sold as Garden Tractors by IH and CCC, and as John can tell you, there is an 1100 in Michigan that has a lot of added on homebuilt equipment such as homebrewed hydraulics, rear grader blade, belly blade and front snow plow, cab with heat, etc, that performs as well as, and maybe better than, some real Cub Cadets I've seen. I didn't think much of the Peerless transaxle until I saw John's and the one from MI in action. Don't sell it short, it's a lot tougher than you might think.

(Message edited by pbell on June 07, 2004)

Brian J., what I can see of your 149 it looks as good as the day you took the photos of it after the restoration! Don't you ever use it? :eek:)

Paul, you caught my mistake on the 1100/482/582S comparison. I was reading on the 1100 and 482 and had 11hp on my mind when I wrote about the 582S. Ooops! Thanks for the correction. :eek:)

Of course I do Kraig
happy.gif
. One pic is far away and the others are in the shadows. Don't look too closely. ;)

Paul B.!
Thanks for the kind words and as usual 100% accurate.The 1100 has that little flip-gate as well to keep from engaging the Granny Gear.

That little flip-gate reminds me of the tranny on a JD 110. I wonder if it's not the exact same peerless model...

Although I'm not a fan of most belt drive tractors, I have seen quite a few JD 110's at plow days having no problems keeping up with the rest of the pack all day long. Keep in mind, the 110, along with the Originals, 1100's and some of the 82-series tractors were marketed as Garden Tractors even though they were belt-driven, which implies that they're able to handle the abuse a garden tractor gets during normal use.

I really wonder if belt-driven tractors are maybe given a bad rap because you've got a #250 rider trying to tow a full load of landscape gravel up a steep incline with a lawn tractor who then wonders why the belts/pulley gave up the ghost halfway up the hill.

<font size="-2">Charlie, I don't know anybody who'd do that on a Hydro-80....</font>
hide.gif

Does anyone have pics of the where the front guage wheels are welded onto a 50" deck. Also, do you grind off the old skid bars or leave them in place?

Thanks,

Jim E

Richard C: Your excellent pics of the underside of a QL led me to upgrade the linkage in my EARLY, not late, 1650. I installed the upper ball joint connection with self-locking nuts. I hope I never have to take them off! I already performed the trunion plate weld repair and new springs. I still have a small amount of linkage slop, but the tractor maintains speed much better. Note to early QL owners: the linkage is different. Get the upper ball joint link and contort your hands to install it. You will like it !

Some grumpy old bastage from Kentucky sent me some goodies today, hehehe
From what I hear, they might just be the last two made.
19339.jpg

Thanks Digger, my deck is like the lower one in the first picture, I will be making my own brackets.

JimE

Jim,

You have to grinde the right hand side off (it's where you weld the braket to the deck), but I left the guide on the left side, figured it couldn't hurt and might even help.

i changed the center spindle today on my 44inch deck today just wasn't ready for sticker shock
jawdrop.gif
$100 bucks. the good thing is that you can rebuilt them. i just need to get a loan for the next two!

Boy oh boy, take a class for 3 days and the whole place goes up for grabs...

I expect everyone to behave for the next two days (riiiiiiiiiight...)
wink.gif

Back