• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 01, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW Bryan,looking at the Monster homepage was a real good start to my day!! ;-)
Man,Charlie is right,that stuff has "W.M.D." written all over the ingredients!!
Seriously,right on about the belt situation;if we all run down to our local "will-fit" supplier and buy some might-work belt,instead of supporting our dealers and using the correct parts,all we are doing is hurting the sponsors of this site,the Cub Cadet dealers,and even the parts end of the Corporation we need to keep supplying us with parts.
Might as well just buy a Murray or Sears then;-(

Richard C>> What a nice piece of work that sunshade is!! Looks perfect on that 782,and to scale also according to the farm tractor pics.! ps>> that neopreme gasket material is the real deal,my friend!! Thanks for the tip!!

Bryan et al-
All kidding aside, I think it would be helpful to include a belt-chart in the FAQ.

I realize that this dips into "manual territory", but like you said, "given how much this question comes up..."

This would also give the perfect opportunity to include a tag-line on the FAQ belt-page which could included a phrase that explains why fractional HP belts just don't cut it. I have to admit, 5 years ago I just didn't understand why the blue belt I just bought from Fleet Farm shredded like a piece of rope in a blender the minute I kicked in the PTO for the first time. To the non-tractor types out there, "a belt is a belt" even though you and I know that such is not the case.

I realize the FAQ is not always read by the new folks who come around here, but at least there'd be something to point them toward...

Art -

Not just manual territory, but "currently available from MTD or your local dealer" territory.

I bought a copy of the book. So did Bob.

Tell ya what, I'll tell their lawyers to call you
lol.gif

Ben, have a closer look at that number on your mower deck. I bet that the "0" is actually a "U". And it's a model number (or better yet a version number) not a serial number (at one time I thought it was a SN too). You have a 42" stamped end deck. I have the same deck. What do you need to know about it?
19239.jpg

(Message edited by kmcconaughey on June 03, 2004)

Since I was part of the the discussion about after-market belts I guess I'll chime in. I've personally done a good deal of business with the forum sponsors and my local CC dealer. That being said, my local CC dealer doesn't do the best job keeping his stock up, he will order anything for me, but when the grass is growing/snow is building up, it's hard to wait a week for something like a belt.

I've had really good luck with the Gates belts (Power Rated or something like that?) that I've run in the past.

I wonder if a reference could be made that simply stated the application and the size needed, leaving the CC/IH numbers out? Would that keep the lawyers from knocking on the door? It seems like it would be tough for any after-market supplier to survive if things were really that strict.

I guess what I'm saying is try you CC dealer first, but I can understand the need for "other" belts in a jam.

Bryan,

That monster stuff looks just as good as the "programmer pills" I used to get at trade shows. :p

I just know that Art is going to post and point out that it's an "IDENTIFICATION NUMBER"..... :eek:p

Matt K. -

When the grass is growing/snow is deepening, I just go to the peg at the back of the garage and grab the next belt
wink.gif

That said, the ONLY reason I use any Gates green belts is because (1) there are no <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> belts specified for the 59M shredder, (2) the custom smaller pulley on my QA42A dictates an odd belt size and (3) there is no <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> belt specified for the Jiffy <font size="-2">de</font>Balling sickle.

I keep a bunch of spare <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> belts around too. :eek:)

19241.jpg

I could be wrong, but I'm tempted to say that we may have a "snook" on our hands as I don't believe <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> ever made a toothed belt like the ones in the 6 O'clock position in Kraig's photo. <font size="-2">I'm not talking about the cogged belt for the Orignal deck at 9-O'clock either....</font>

Kraig, care to explain your off-brand belt purchase?...
happy.gif

Bryan-
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Tell ya what, I'll tell their lawyers to call you<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
Certainly you're not trying to suggest that the phone would ring off the hook if a page of belt numbers were posted in the FAQ???? I could see a scan of a page out of "the book", but just the numbers on a webpage?????

Art -

Well, you have the summer off, I don't, so you can type all the numbers out. Osmosis won't work in this case
lol.gif

Otherwise, scanning is all I have time to do...

Gentlemen, I just became the proud owner of a Cub Cadet #2 tiller. I know nothing about the tillers, so am wondering what the differences between the #1, #1a, and #2 are. Also, anything special (good or bad) about these things? Also advice on belts - it doesn't have any now, so I want to buy the correct ones when I buy them.
Thanks in advance.

Art, wrongo bucko! One of those small cogged belt is the original belt that came with the QA42. Yep I said original belt, it dates from 1969! The other one is for the Dexter Sweepster which uses the same gear box and subframe as the QA42. Next time you stop by I'll show it to you. It's a 487-043 R1
19243.jpg

Does anyone know why there are four "female threads" on the back of a seat on a 1450? and...there is another empty slot in the dash just to the right of the steering wheel?
Dean

What? <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> made a small toothed belt?????
I stand corrected!
<font size="-2">That'll teach me to keep my yapper shut!</font>
happy.gif

Hi Dean, the holes in your seat are for arm rests which were available as an add on. As for the slot in the dash, you're probably missing the hydro control limiter that was intended to give you a stop for your lever so that you could always find a predefined speed. Kraig, got any pics?

Steve

What's the difference between a 147 and 149? I'm looking at the photos in Updike's book (pg 84 & 88) and they look the same. Both 14HP Kohler, hydro drive and lift, and wide frames - right? Is the difference the location of battery and gas tank?

Roy

I am no expert but a 147 is a narrow frame...a 149 is a wide frame. Correct me if I am wrong!!!
Dean

(Message edited by dreinbold on June 03, 2004)

Roy N. -

Dean is right.

The picture in the book is, I believe, a "goof" in the <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> literature. I'm sure Kraig has all the pictures handy...

i have a 421 u 1113 deck on a 1250 went to a cc dealer and got 2 belts one for the deck and one for the mule drive the deck belt fit perfect but the mule drive belt is at least 2 inches short anybody have a sollution thanks

Latest posts

Back