• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 31, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charlie - Why stop there ...

Lucas - Man you better rethink your "close to a gallon" reservoir as the trans and rear end need fluid too ya know ! Suck down the level to much and the upper shafts , bearings and gears will be high and dry.

Why tear up a good Case anyway ?? I had one with the pump and hydraulic motor , wish I had it back.

Lucas J. For all the hassle involved the $400 investment for a factory system would be a LOT cheaper and more efficient. Plus you'd need to configure a filter system AND you'd be overfilling your transmission housing having to add more oil. My thoughts are that it isn't worth the troubles.

Hey Charlie...I wonder if Lucas' "angel blade" has a halo or wings for those "hydrolics"... giggle, snicker...

Myron B

Kentuck, the 222 case has. Blown motor so it is my parts tractor for my 444. If I were to complete this project I would top off the trans after I ran the fluid through the hydraulic system.

Marlin, on the case lgts they did not have a filter for the hydraulic drive/lift system.

Myron, did you receive my e-mail I sent ?

After I started adding up the cost the factory lift would be cheaper and it would look the best.

Lucas J. Yes, you are correct about the Case not having an oil filter built into its system. It is possible to do that on any system. Just leave out the filtration part. Remember .... Even the little hydraulic system on the Cub Cadet remote hydrualic doesn't have a filter. Filters help to remove contaminants. As to why Case chose not to have any filtration systems added is beyond me. Their choice to do so. Basically what you are thinking of doing is trying to run something similar to the big tractors with their hydraulic systems. One thing to remember is even the big tractors have a filter system incorporated.

Now a little question for you? Are you thinking of going open or closed circuit hydraulic system? One takes a little more power than the other. I'll let you figure the answer to that question out. It's your tractor.
228692.gif
228693.gif
228694.gif

BTW.... If it were me... I'd sell the Case parts tractor and apply that money towards the cub Cadet system that is meant for your tractor. (<font size="-2">Just my thoughts though.)</font>

Good morning, Lucas. A closed circuit means the fluid travels from the pump back to the motor. Open circuit means the fluid travels from the reservoir to the pump to the motor then back to the reservoir. Both systems can utilize a filter if desired.

Now here is a thought. Way back when I used to have some pctures of someone that used a GM truck power steering unit from a junked truck. They had to mount the pump in such a manner to run correctly. The person claimed it worked great for them and their needs. Depending on what you'd all like to do with it you may have to add another reservoir since I believe the GM unit only holds around 2.3 quarts and only puts out 2.5 gaalons per minute. Maybe Kraig M. has some pictures and someone else can give more details.

Have a good day!!!

Marlin - Mornin'
There's been a few around the forum that have used PS pumps. Seems like they said they put out 600psi ?

I've been waiting for you to tell him that if he tops off his fluid with the cylinders retracted that he'll run short of fluid when he extends them. On the other side of the coin , if he fills it with the cylinders extended then he'll be swimming in fluid when he retracts them.

Lucas,
What you want to do is possible, IH did it with the hydraulic system on the 154, 185, 184 Cub Lo-Boys. The Pump was built into the front of the engine like it was on all Cubs with a hydraulic system, and was rated at 2.5 gpm at 1600 RPM, and used the transmission case (same basic transmission as use in the Cub Cadet)as a 7 quart reservoir. There were two different systems used, one below a given serial number, and one above that serial number. Because of the size difference between the Lo-Boy and the Cub Cadet, you cannot take the complete system from the Lo-Boy and use it as is (you would still have to have a pump), and you would need to have a very good working knowledge of hydraulics to modify the system to fit the Cub Cadet. It would be much easier, safer, and less expensive to find a factory add on hydraulic system for the Cub Cadet, or as was suggested, use a power steering pump to build a simple system. Just mount the pump so it turns the correct direction (for the pump, not the CC engine).

Lucas J: Yep & replied today. With the triple-digit heat wave we have been having here in Texas, I have been avoiding the Cub
Cadet parts building....or should I say the oven...:)-}

Myron B

Latest posts

Back