• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 31, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know i've asked this before, but where are the timing marks in the cam and crank, as well as how do they line up? I found a dimple on the crank and the cam, but i wasn't sure where they had to be lined up at, HELP!!!
Thanks Glen

Hello.

I am a new member to the Cub Cadet Forum. I have just been given a 1969 Cub cadet model 106 with the 42" mower deck. The tractor is in remarkably good condition. Everything is there (except the battery) and every thing seems to work. It does need a new wiring harness, but I was given a brand new one with the tractor.

I have purchased a new air filter and spark plug for the engine and new blades for the mower deck. Now I need to figure out what size belts are correct for the mower deck and the PTO to the mower deck. Any one know the right sizes?

I'm sure there will be other things I will need help with as I go through the restoration. Is there anything specific that I should look at right away?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Dave "Lammy" Lamoureux
USAF Retired
Oklahoma City, OK.

Lammy: Welcome. Maybe I can point you in the right direction this morning. Just below the sponsor buttons at the top of the page you can click on FAQ. Then go to cubfaq.com and your question should be answered in #4. Loads of info, here -- good place to poke around on a rainy day.
wave.gif

Glen:
Same answer as Charlie gave Jessie D... Look in section 12, it's all there..
rtfm2.gif

"Lammy: Welcome. Maybe I can point you in the right direction this morning. Just below the sponsor buttons at the top of the page you can click on FAQ. Then go to cubfaq.com and your question should be answered in #4."

OK. I thought all Cub Cadets were GARDEN tractors. Can you tell me which models are the garden tractor models?

Lammy

Lammy, your 106 is a garden tractor. Pretty much all <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> built Cub Cadets are garden tractors, however <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> built lawn tractors are called simply Cadets. Here's a list of Cub Cadet garden tractor models, Original (Not the actual model name but it's what we call the first Cub Cadet) 70, 100, 71, 102, 122, 123, 72, 104, 105, 124, 125, 73, 106, 107, 126, 127, 147, 86, 108, 109, 128, 129, 149, 169, 800, 1000, 1100 (some argue about the 1100 being a true GT) 1200, 1250, 1450, 1650. After these is the 82 series where it gets a bit trickier as there are more that are borderline, 482 and 582 Special. Having said that, the 582, 1282, 682 and 782 are without question garden tractors. The 982 is a Super Garden Tractor. Also during the 82 series <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> sold off the Cub Cadet line. After <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> sold the line came the 782D a diesel version of the 782. I'm sure someone will add to what I've written or point out that I forgot something.
blush.gif

Kraig, thanks for the info.

I did go to the CubFAQ.com page as Frank suggested. That has answered a lot of my questions. I think I have a lot more work to do than I thought. I'll keep you posted.

One question for the group though. I know this is a newbie question, but, the FAQ says the PTO belt for my 106 is a 3/8 x 80. That is the size that I had looked up on line but the folks at the two places that I asked for one said "you must mean a 1/2 inch belt, 3/8 inch belt is too small".

I assume that the 3/8 belt is used because the belt has to turn through 90 degrees to go from vertical on the motor to horizontal on the deck. Is that right?

Lammy

Lammy, it IS a 3/8" wide belt not a 1/2". Also, you do NOT want to use just any old 3/8" x 80" belt it won't last for more then a few minutes due to the twist through the mule drive. At the very least use a Gates brand "Green" belt. However your money will be best spent getting an actual Cub Cadet belt that is designed to handle that twist through the mule drive.

Hoober says the same thing as Messicks.
http://www.hoober.com/product_details.asp?pn=492087R91

Sounds like Eric works at a CaseIH dealer so that's proof enough for me.

I wish CaseIH parts lookup was more like the MTD empart site where you can put in the part number and it'll tell you what model equipment it's for, but instead you have to have the model number of the equipment to find the part numbers.

And no, I didn't know you were from MO. What part and why did you leave?

Has anybody ever pulled a hydro rearend (axles and all) and installed a gear rearend (axles and all) in one of these old Cubbies. I am getting to many tractors and just thinking about my next project?

Thank you for any help---------Pops
old.gif

Pop's, now why on earth would you want to do that?
angel.gif

Lammy, Stick with a Cub Cadet belt, I have 3 years on my pto belt and it still looks great and my wife is kind of abusive with it. Well worth the money.

Send me a deck and mule drive that needs them and I will!!!! haha To fit a 100 will work
baldguy.gif

Sounds like James is the one that needs them... Hey James, take that number that Eric posted to your local CaseIH dealer and see what ya' get!

Keith L.
I did that very thing at a different Case/IH dealer yesterday, I gotta know for sure myself.

On the Missouri thing, I was in Columbia for many years and left because I found a good woman in Minnesota.
biggrin.gif

Keith and Charlie: I called my local Cub Cadet Dealer with Numbers 588825-r91, 492087-r91 and they came up with 941-0979 number so I told him to order for me I'll let you know when I get them if there the right ones or not. Thanks everyone. James S

Pops- I made a 123 into a 122. The hydro was bad, and I had a gear drive, so in it went. I had to scrounge up a clutch, etc. As I recall, it was a simple bolt-in.

Charlie:
Does your wife know about this?????
confused.gif

Latest posts

Back