Archive through July 30, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody see anything from Scott Reinbolt today in ref. to his installing a new harness in his 71 ?? Hope he didnt get so fustrated that he hanged himself with it !
eek.gif

For years I have checked the spark plugs with an ohm meter before I put them in new..You would be surprised what you find new out of the box..Take the probes and put one probe on the tip were the wire plugs in and the other one on the threaded part. It should read open. If you get a reading that means some of the electicity is going to ground instead of jumping the gap.I have found in an 8 pack of Champions you will have 3 were you get a reading. I like Autolite as you rarely find them to do this..

Kevin:
Just out of curiosity, what resistance range are you measuring the plugs on?? What you are reporting is verrrry strange (shell to electrode conductance)
eek.gif

Gerry, Years ago I had a Nova SS with a 350 small block, and after giving it its fall tune-up of new Champion plugs fresh out of the box and newly gapped, I got in and it would not start. I knew it had to be the plugs as nothing else was done. Pulled the plugs and checked with a ohm meter and 6 out of 8 were grounding out. I put old plugs in and it started right up. I check the plugs on the lowest scale as there should be no resistance at all with brand new plugs. To this day I check all plugs this way and I have found bad plugs every so often.

Kevin:
NOT doubting you, I was wondering whether you might be using megohm range and seeing stray resistance from surface contamination (or as I've seen done, inadvertent skin resistance measurement...
clappy.gif
)..
Given the supposed total isolation that the ceramic insulator (B) is <u>supposed</u> to give (see cutaway), did you ever figure out what the path was??
194759.jpg

No Gerry, I have installed thousands of spark plugs in about 35 years of working on engines and I know what you mean. No it was not the meter or grounding thru the human body but was defects in the manufacturing process probably cracks in the porcelain or internal damage where you can not see..I must say that the plugs today do seem to be better than they used to be. If you look at cutaways of the different brands of plugs, Champion plugs have very little room between the porcelain encased electrode and the case, where Autolite seems to have much more insulation in that area. I think it is just an occasional manufacturing defect that causes this.

IIRC, the assembly steps involve insertion of the insulator and then a die operation to crimp the shell - I just saw a video someplace of this being done in China on some pretty poor equipment...maybe the insulator cracks at the crimp and the shell actually touches the center electrode. HMMMMMMM. Since I only, for the most part, change plugs in my own vehicles, I've only put in one set in the last 10 years (Ranger 4 cylinder w/8 plugs..). On the other hand, I've probably put a hundred or so in Cushman flatheads in the last 10 years, mostly because fairground cruising on a 60 year old engine creates smoky Autolite 37's ..
clappy.gif

I'm thinking they get damaged in the crimping process too..I am far from an expert on plugs, only reporting what I find. I do know that Champion spark plugs are notorious for blow-by, If you have ever seen a plug that is very gray looking on the outside porcelain between the plug boot and the metal base, it is caused by compression blow-by between the porcelain and the metal case. Possibly by improper crimping?

Well we are not camping this long weekend so I got the 149 and the spliter out and split and hauled in some winters wood.Got some seat time in on my 149 and the Diesel. Tin just came in for the Cub storage building and will install that at the end of the month. What a great day here ,the pool is 85 deg lol and Frank C the refershments are kool lol.
194768.jpg

Don T:
beerchug.gif
Here, too!
Jimmy Long: I just got the 125 that we hauled home last weekend running and watched the gas shutoff on the sediment bowl screw itself shut! Thought I'd throw that into the pot. That
deadat30.gif
varnishy old gas sure holds a stink!

Dave Ross

yep i`am with you on that,but the wifes still has three weeks left of her vacation and till she goes back to work i`ll be on the go with her.
I have so much to do that I think I`ll send out some parts to get sand blasted soon. Have a great day all
ihrotate.gif

Well another cub is saved. a 107 was sent our way and is now in the truck. Thanks Charlie! Some minor repairs and it should run again. Much better shape than the last 107 I had.

I just got a tiller mount & gearbox for my 125. I also purchased a lift.

194822.jpg

Did I get a complete lift or am I missing some parts?

Thanks
Jeff

Need some experts. I just started my rebuilt M18 and am getting 55 to 60 PSI on oil pressure. Seems high to me. The manual says "20 psi or more". What is more? Is this too high, and, if so, what could be wrong? I'm afraid I'm going to start blowing seals & gaskets.

Norm

Norm-

I do not have an oil pressure gauge on mine, but I think that sounds pretty normal from what others have posted.

Norm, oil pressure is kinda relative. What does the gauge read when it's warmed up good at idle?

Gerry,

You ask a good question! “I didn't see asked is whether, as it is stalling, if you have tried choking it, and what the results of that were.”

That is one thing I have not tried in the past but did try this morning. As the engine starts to stall at ¾ throttle and I choked it, the rpm’s increase and the engine came out to the stall momentarily. I could repeat this process 3 or 4 time before it died completely.

The confusing thing is this, in the past when the engine stalled / died I immediately clamped the fuel line near the fuel line fitting near the carb. I then removed the float bowl, which was full. ???

Your other questions: I have run the engine with the muffler loose and off with not change. I have viewed the ACR thought the inspection portal. The small springs are in place and I can see the ACR actuate as I rotate the engine by hand.

Thxs

Jimmy:
Find, beg, borrow or steal another carb. If choking it as it's dying improves the situation, I'd put $20.00 bucks and a dead cat on it being the carb OR the fuel supply and you've already run it with an aux tank, I think.. (I've just informed the cat of the bet..)
clappy.gif

Latest posts

Back