• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 28, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan G., your middle photos are the earlier version of the 1x6/7 series PTO engagement handle. The top photos are the later style 1x6/7 series PTO engagement handle and the bottom photos are of the 1x8/9 series PTO engagement handle. If you have a model 71 with that style PTO engagement handle it has been swapped out as the 71 would/should have had the older flat, "bar stock" style handle mounted on the right hand side of the steering pedestal.

Kraig,
I think he means a year 1971?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Shultzie, I do believe you are correct!
blush.gif
bash.gif

Dan G., I have no clue as to when the change was made. Then I could be entirely wrong and that is a PO mod.
1a_scratchhead.gif
But it sure looks like a factory part.

yeah, I meant model year 1971, I have 2 147's made in 1971..and they both have different pto handles..so now I'm curious when exactly they did the change

Dan G,

The parts lookup does not show a change the PTO lever/bracket on the 1X6/7 models. I have always preferred the 1X8/9 series PTO lever over the 1X6/7 design as they are easier to engage/disengage the PTO. It may be possible that the change was implemented at the tail end of the 1X6/7 series production run before they switched over to the 1X8/9 series but there's no indication of that in the parts lookup. There would typically be two part numbers listed with a serial number range on each if that was the case. IH was generally pretty good about keeping track of changes implemented in their parts catalogs provided you had the latest revision. Who knows what revisions MTD used in their online catalog. Someone with a set of original IH Parts Catalogs might be able to shed more light on this. Alternately a previous owner may have just swapped the lever out, preferring the 1X8/9 series lever over the original one. Based on your newly acquired 147, we now know that they are interchangeable!

Hey guys don't believe it's a swap on the pto handle. My dad has a 127 with the same style as the 147 like that on the 1x8 1x9 series tractors as to when they changed it I don't know.

my early 1971 147 made in march has the older style, the 1971 147 made in august has new style..the newer one appears to be all original paint and such..it really looks like it belongs

Fred, do you know what month your dad's 127 was made?

Harry, After I reread your post I saw that you said it was a WAG. I should have read closer before posting.

Scott N: Both of my QLs have the WF steering wheel. The 1000 has internal brakes and the 1450 has external brakes. I wish the 1000 had external brakes. I shipped it out here (CA) from Illinois. I live in the mountains and I am worried that I could lock up the brakes easier with the internal brake than the external. With the internal version braking before the differential there is a chance the wheels could still spin in wet vegetation if I were going downhill. Yes I know one will spin forwards and the other backwards. I still think external brakes would be better.

Bob E - if I were in the Mountains I'd also prefer the external brakes just for the reasons you noted. There are plenty of the external brake rearends around if you want to pay shipping to CA.

Back