• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 25, 2016

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
IHCC Supporter
displayname
Digger
Bill J.
Here's your DANCO UD6 creeper shaft without all the bearings and gunk on it, LOL
307309.jpg

Attachments

• 307309.jpg
    307309.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 307309.jpg
    307309.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 126
Wayne - hey my apologies. I missed a whole page of archive info and just discovered you're working on that 1200 for someone else.

However, with all the talk about the thick gasket for the QL carb, I have a friend that likes to use the thick gasket on all the engine carbs. What are the pros/cons to doing this? seems like it might keep the carb a little cooler. Isn't that a good thing for better performance/power?

Thicker ql gasket -

Wondering also if thick gasket would have any performance difference, greater distance/air fuel mixture to travel, Although minute seems like I guess any advantage or disadvantage would probably be minute also?

EDIT:

Wondering also if that thicker gasket was a Kohler change during the ql time period? Did engine ship to cadet assembly w/ carb and gasket installed? Could it have been just a ql feature or change?

Harry-

It would seem to me the reason for two snubbers is because the belt pulls down on both sides of the pto pulley. I'm guessing but I think when the deck is mounted the snubbers would be in constant contact with the frame. A properly tensioned belt provides quite a downward pull and proper snubber adjustment only has a few thousanths of clearance.

This unit was made in March, 1979 and has the aluminum grill. It also has the round snubbers but they are somewhat warped/out of round so I plan on going back with new. I'll probably use the existing top ISO bushings but replace the toasted bottom bushings with new as well. Right now I'm dealing with front and rear oil seals. I just removed the head and there was very little carbon...I was surprised. It does appear that the head gasket was just before going. It was quite oily and darkening between the #1 and #7 head bolts. This unit has never been gone through so I'm finding things left and right. The owner, for example wasn't aware of the grease zerk for the front axle pin and the channel needs the squeeze something bad. It's one of those jobs in total that will involve some charity work because the labor bill would be extravagant. I like doing the work, especially on a well kept machine such as this plus I have no doubt the owner will treat me right. I'd like to do as much as possible like going through both front spindles but I will have to draw the line somewhere. Since it has never had major attention it needs quite a bit. He's a 73 year old gentleman that is very proud of the way he has treated this unit since he bought it new. The things I'm finding aren't things he would know about.

My main concern at this point is the oil pan. As I mentioned before,3 of the 4 mounting bolts were missing and the lower ISO bushings were almost flat. I have since removed the rails and pressure washed the frame and there are several good sized shiny spots. The pan may simply need replacing. If I don't find any stripped engine mounting bolt holes I will be surprised.

Bill J.
Wasn't my game, LOL

Besides,
Art dint say anything about a creeper, he said when this piece spins round and round.
biggrin.gif

Dunno where the creeper thing came from.

I did see pics from the convicted pedophiles website though.
bash.gif

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    419 bytes · Views: 132
  • bash.gif
    bash.gif
    904 bytes · Views: 126
You didn't hesitate to give a hint.
Yea, I'm surprised those pics are still there.
The pic was wrong for the answer.

Bill J.

Total guess on my part....basically because it's the only thrower/Cub combo that's unique......I have never even seen an input shaft for a Danco until you and Charlie posted
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Attachments

• happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 130
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 126
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 128
I just want to see the facts correct.
You couldn't pay me to take over this forum, who would buy it?

Wayne - ya, guess I didn't think about the belt pulling down. My head was thinking about the left hand torque. However, I'm still thinking rear snubbers may be helpful to the ISO-mounts. At least it could only go so far and it really might help that rear left mount which is the one I usually see all tore up.

From the pics of the 1200 you posted it does look to be in nice shape - but as you're finding out appearances aren't everything.

I actually was a little impressed seeing that rubber seal/gasket around the spark plug hole in the tin cover over the head. Charlie claimed to have about a gross (144) of them before the fire. Wonder if he has them now. They help keep the air flowing over the head rather than leaking out by the plug. Must help some since Kohler did it. Just about every QL I see these days is missing that little rubber seal/gasket.

If you get a chance to find out what type of oil (brand and weight) and gas (regular or ethyl, oops, premium) as well as any additives like MM or something, this guy may have used it would be nice to know. He's apparently done something well that kept the carbon down.

I know in your neck of the woods the units probably don't get awhole lot of winter time use, but at 37+ years old even just cutting grass and blowing leaves I figure this unit must have at least 1000 hours and more likely at least 2000 hours of run time, meaning it's probably at a critical point for maintenance. I'm glad to see you're giving it the attention it really needs. Also, since you're replacing the front and rear crank seals I'm wondering how the field coil looks for the PTO clutch. If that's original it must be showing signs of heat and likely soon to fail. It's pretty well enclosed and doesn't get much air being under the muffler box and having the QL side panels.

Are you including a "wash and wax" job as part of your deal? I'll bet she'll sure look pur'ty.

Jason,
Maybe the thicker gasket was used on the QL's for clearance issues with the air cleaner housing or the choke and throttle linkage.

Lewis P -

OMG!!!

jawdrop.gif

I just Looked at your profile,,,,

307314.jpg

Well, Packin all that IH Artillery there ain't no way in "Heck" I'd second guess your "Maybe" EVER!!!

I am 100% Satisfied the ql "Thicker Gasket" issue is now Officially put to Rest!!!!!!

Man that's a-lotta IH

307315.jpg
greenthumb.gif

ihrotate.gif

Attachments

• ihrotate.gif
    ihrotate.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 126
  • greenthumb.gif
    greenthumb.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 143
  • 307315.jpg
    307315.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 139
  • 307314.jpg
    307314.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 161
  • jawdrop.gif
    jawdrop.gif
    995 bytes · Views: 124
  • greenthumb.gif
    greenthumb.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 136
  • 307315.jpg
    307315.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 117
  • 307314.jpg
    307314.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 119
Harry-

It's funny you mentioned the little plug grommet. It's one of the first things I noticed and I actually thought about you from some previous discussion. I have one on my 1650.

I asked the owner about the gas and he has always used mid-grade. He also knew to use 30 wt oil but I didn't ask the type. I do plan to tell him about Rotella which is what it will have when he gets it back.

I'm not well versed on electric ptos either. I've been studying the manual because I have to do an R&R to get to the seal. Fortunately that's the only part of the engine I'm not familiar with so the rest should go fairly easily.

Another thing I noticed was that he uses both side panels at all times. I'm sure that has helped him with the longevity.

The pressure washing the frame got today will be the only washing I give it. I was careful not to get the nozzle close to the fenders and maybe peal some of that original paint. The only rust I've found so far was on the bottoms of the rails where IH didn't care to paint and on one side of the muffler box. The muffler box has already been sanded, cleaned, and repainted with some high heat flat black. I've been jumping all over the place today doing this and that. I like to clean parts as I remove them too. It makes reassembly a little nicer/faster. I have probably twenty plastic bags of parts...labeled, of course. I also have a 3 week window in which I should easily be done. He lives about 1 1/2 hrs away and even left his trailer here last Saturday when he delivered the tractor. I just hope everything works out and I don't encounter any major setbacks.

Wayne, maybe I've missed it in the past but are you saying you use Rotella straight 30w in older cubs? (my K-301 for instance)

David

Jason W--I hope he realizes how cool it is to be nearly Six years old and own a fully functional 52 year old piece of machinery that is both fun and useful!

A good friend came over tonight who was "THE" lawn mower guy at Chief equipment for about 10 years in the late seventies to late eighties. He helped me set up the steering box to work extremely well. It was fascinating to watch someone who knew the little tricks work his magic right before my eyes. In less than an hour it was set up and back in the Mule. In the past Jeremiah has given me a hard time about never being in any of the pics that I usually post on here. This one is for you JC!

307318.jpg

After Pat left, Judge of course wanted to drive his Mule for awhile. I needed to get some lawn cut and so I fired up the Smoker and went to work in the front yard while he was cruising in the back. I grabbed Caleb (my oldest) to snap this pic of us for you guys here! Gotta love these yellar and white mochines!

Attachments

• 307318.jpg
    307318.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 128
  • 307318.jpg
    307318.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 136
Jason - as far as I'm concerned the questions about the thicker Kohler carb mount gasket "ain't" put to rest. I'd like some input from the engineering and scientific experts on here about pros/cons, etc.

Wayne - well I sure hope everything goes well for you. R&R the electric PTO isn't to bad. The manual has very good details. As long as everything is in good working order it should be fine. I mentioned the field coil but it also has a shaft bearing which I hope is still in good shape.

What else could be or go wrong with the 1200? Well another thing I'd have a look at is the long spring connecting the governor arm and throttle cable linkage. This spring likes to wear thin right at the point it connects on the governor arm. It actually starts to bend there and give you the impression the high speed throttle setting has slipped when in fact the spring end is bending. I'd have a good look at it.

You didn't say anything about the clutch. It has a newer style with thin metal center that tends to crack and break. It can be converted to the 1x8 style but never done it myself (as you know I'm really a Hydro kinda guy
happy.gif

Otherwise a QL 1200 is just one tough machine. Good luck with it. I know you'll be proud when you see it going away on the trailer down the road.

Joshua - I don't know what to say, except "nice".

Attachments

• happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 121
David-

Yes, I've used it for quite some time. I do use a cheaper 30 wt for a couple of smokers I have but it's a good alternative oil non the less. It just doesn't have the additives Rotella does.

Latest posts

Back