Archive through July 25, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Right Stuff often, and it is incredibly good stuff, in spite of being kind of pricey. I have now even used it in place of anaerobic sealer on an automotive transmission because it holds up to Dexron ATF, which is something most gasket makers can't do. They should have called it Awesome Stuff.

KEITH - Best place for Right Stuff IMO is on the end gaskets of V-8 & V-6 engines where the bottom of the intake mnifold tries to seal against the block. Most gasket kits include CORK gaskets. First thing I do is THROW THEM AWAY. Run a large bead, about 1/4" dia of RS across the top of the block, let it set up a bit, drop the intake on and NO LEAKS.

IH truck dealers sell tubes of a gray sealer for sealing up the Powerstroke diesel engines, things like timing covers, oil pans, etc. I've never actually heard who makes it but I think it's RS in a different package. I will say this about IH's PSD, they used formed o-rings in many many places, they really don't leak much.

The hardest thing I ever had to seal was our glow fuel powered RC engines. If the nitro in the fuel didn't attack the sealer the alcohol in the fuel did, and the blend of oils in the fuel made everything a mess. Permatex aviation form-a-gasket would last maybe two weeks on them. Finally started using the red high temp RTV very sparingly and that seemed to stop the vacuum leaks.

Great job on the grill brace, Kraig and Ron. Just what I needed.
Thanks, Bob

Hey guys, heres some sneak peeks of the project nearing completion. my custom flat top fenders and my multi hitch as i call it. it can be either a sleeve or a CAT 0 three point...neat huh? I see a couple weak spots but theyre gonna be fixed shortly. ignore the hank wire holdin everything in place, just need to bolt it all up once its painted.

228028.jpg

228029.jpg

228030.jpg

228031.jpg

228032.jpg

Glen, clever. One thing that concerns me would be the turnbuckles. Are those aluminum? If so, I don't think they'll hold up to much lifting. Nice job on the fenders.
thumbsup.gif
Where did you get the lights?

Kraig, the turnbuckles are just temporary, and yes theyre aluminum (I cheeped out haha). i looked at em at tractor supply and thought "theyll work for now" im thinkin about getting two more top links and puttin em on for a super strong setup, length may be my only issue, i had also thought about getting two of the lift links from CC Specialties. The lights are submersible trailer reverse lights for boat trailers available here http://vehiclelight.com/ledbainli.html
theyre super easy to mount, come with pigtails and are also very bright.

Gerry-

Another ditto on what Allen and Kraig said.

Glen-

How did you weld those lift arms to that casting? I'd really to know how that holds up so let us know when you put it to work.

Wayne, used a mig welder with alloy wire cranked all the way up. the casting is actually cast steel (luckily, i forgot my uncles mig wouldn't weld cast iron, not enough amperage), im anxious to see how they hold up too.

Wayne:
I wondered the same thing when I saw Glen's pictures (nice project, Glen) and it leads to a question..is the IHC original cast iron or cast steel?? I've wondered for a long time about that lift arm (I'd think cast iron would be a little fragile with the amount of stress that arm is under).
If it is actually cast steel (not all that rare in these types of parts) welding to it is not only feasible, but with proper preparation, done quite often..

A couple of links here and here too.

Glen: You answered before I asked
beer2.gif

Wayne, Glen, Gerry, I was wondering about that part as well...

Glad I could help guys, it is cast steel (least the rock shaft is, im curious about our front axles too)
I just took a wire wheel to it to clean it up and hooked up the ground lead, and HOLY CRAP! IT WORKED! feel free to borrow my design or add your own to it, Id love to see more cubs with my hitch or even better versions.

"curious about our front axles too"..
If you've got one that you don't mind marking up, try the cold chisel test as outlined in the first link - rolling chip=cast steel, short flake - cast iron....

I'm just about positive the frt axles are cast gray iron. IH to my knowledge didn't have any steel foundries, they could have bought that part from an outside foundry, OR it might be cast ductile iron, which was known as "semi-steel" when it was first created, it has many of the advantages of steel and many of the advantages of cast iron.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ductile_iron

An "Aquaintance" of mine tried to tell me the two IH 706 gasoline powered tractors his dad bought new back in 1965 both came from the factory, FARMALL, with cast aluminum engine blocks. IH had many many foundries, and not a darned one poured any aluminum. The 263 cid 6-cyl. engine was a truck engine, used ribbing on the outside of the block for strength and rigidity, but it WAS cast iron.

Anyhow, the steel foundry I worked for used thousands of pounds of welding rod and wire every month. If they couldn't pour them right they'd make them in the weld booth!

Hmmm, this sure makes it sound like it's a cast iron axle.

228034.jpg

From a Model 71 datasheet:

228038.jpg

From a Model 147 datasheet:

228039.jpg

From a QL datasheet:

228040.jpg

the rockshaft i have has the IH stamp on it along with the serial number and a couple various marks here and there, it couldve been outsourced since its cast steel. Im 99.99% positive the front axle is cast iron like all the info below says.
also, off note question, can i stuff the 18x8.50-8 V61's on my current front rims? Ive got the 16x6.5-8 tri ribs on it now, but one:theyre hard on my turf (knew that goin into it...but you know how the yard can look after) and two theyre already needing tubes and are cracked to no return on the sidewalls. i want bigger tires up front for a "nose up attitude" and to make it look beefier like the 4 digit internationals its built after.

Latest posts

Back