Archive through July 25, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbrennan

displayname
Mike Brennan
Ron R.
Thanks for your info on the deck. Last question do I have to change the type of mule drive or keep the one I have. My 127 drive is, in my opinion, a weak link while this 108 seems just great. When I was rebuilding i was really impressed with how much better the mule is on the 108. So would I just change the pulleys or the whole damn thing back to the spring, which I wont do I'll just keep the deck.

Just a refresher photo on the mule drive question. Have to break in the rebuilt engine and and that is going to bea Pain. Did you see the break in procedure on the previous page? How luckey am I? And thank you for the nice comments. Yes, it is pretty,almost hate to use it. drive

227987.jpg

Okay I have a question, the super steer axle upgrade, what wheels or rims were used in the writeup in FAQ?

Mike, so long as your pulleys within the mule drive arent angled off center for the off center drive pulley you can keep your existing mule drive. if however your pulleys are angled you will have to change it out for a regular one. my 149 uses the 42" deck and i can provide pictures of the deck carriage and mule drive as well as the deck if you like/need them. theyre all currently off the tractor awaiting paint. Oh and i have to break in my engine the same way too haha so dont feel alone!
bash.gif

Also, is it possible to stuff an 18x8.50-8 tire on a rim meant for 16x6.50-8? its only a half inch narrower, but the diameter may be an issue... just another brain fart

Robert R. WELCOME!
WELCOME.gif

I'll try to get measurements of the grill brace for you in the morning before I head to work.

Troy, sorry I never got the measurements for you on the Windbreaker cab brackets. It was so hot here the past week or so I couldn't stand to go in the shed.
bash.gif
Good to see you found some.
thumbsup.gif

I was out mowing this evening and had to stop for a few minutes. I parked on a modest incline and went inside. (tractor was turned off) About 5 minutes later I came out just in time to to see the 1450 rolling away, crash through the fence and pick up real steam heading down the steep incline through the back yard. It flew down the hill (i'd say easily doing 20mph or better at top speed...), until it crashed into the wood pile - about 150 yards away.

The crash (into the wood pile) bent the front of the frame but the tractor fired right up and climbed back up the hill to the house.

I was lucky more damage didn't occur to tractor, me or the fence. The wood pile was in just the right place. Honestly, for something as crappy as this to happen - it couldn't have gone better. Missed the truck, went through fence rails perfectly between the posts and missed everything in yard, excluding wood pile, which stopped it from punching another hole in the fence.

Anyone know what happened? I was under the impression that the tractor wouldn't budge when it wasn't running (ever try pushing one - even with the lever lifted?). It was basically free-wheeling. It is like the hydro just completely lost pressure or something. Is this normal? I did not have the parking brake set. Again, it started out on a modest incline and was actually mostly level when it started to roll. One thing is for sure - I won't ever be doing that again. I'm just wondering if it indicates an issue (before - or since rolling all that way...) with the hydro...

Thanks,

Calvin

Calvin, it happens with the Hydros that have the auto releasing valves as found on some Quietlines. Does your 1450 have the release lever on the right side of the tunnel? I seem to recall that we were discussing about this a week or so back...

Yup, as we talked about last week, the pressure behind the manual ones will bleed down too. <font size="-2">( don't ask- don't tell)..</font>.Sorry to hear of the hurt Cub, hope it's better soon...
a_weep.gif

Paul R - not sure why you're chasing Eric to the CCC/MTD area for his answer - that's no CCC/MTD Cub in the FAQ....just the front axle's later model.... (MOO)

Quick question about installing the oil pan on my 1250 k301AQS. Purchased a Kohler gasket for the oil pan and am wondering what you put on the gasket to seal it? Or do I just put it on dry?

Mark:
I've used the Permatex aerobic stuff (smells like strawberry jam) sparingly - don't use to much of whatever sealer you use, you don't want glop squeezing into the pan. See the last picture on FAQ 94...

Calvin L. About ten to twelve years ago I read an article about a farmer and his CASEIH combine. He had long used up the brakes and never fixed them since he had hydro propulsion he used the hydro system as a braking system. It worked fantastic until one day he was crossing a narrow bridge with his corn head on (wasn't one of today's huge corn heads). The bridge had a slight incline approach and he idled down the engine so as to crawl/inch forward. It would be a tight fit that he had accomplished before. Things went awry in a hurry when the engine stalled and the combine now had nothing to stop it from going backward. AND backward it went until he luckily ended up with the combine going sideways and not rolling completely over in the ditch. The combine was totalled and yet the farmer felt very fortunate to be alive. Had it rolled he would have been killed. When interviewed he said that he learned a valuable lesson.... ALWAYS have the brakes in working condition and NEVER rely upon the hydro as a total braking system. If the engine stalls out then the hydro doesn't work.

Now back to your question. Yes, in time even the manual release valves will bleed out. Automatic ones sooner once the engine is stopped. You are also very fortunate that pressure didn't build up in the system and ruin your hydro. (Remember about a weekand a half ago whereas the new member wrote in of how he towed his Cub Cadet with his automobile. He hasn't replied back to what the end results were.)

Summing up.... ALWAYS put the BRAKES ON when leaving your hydro Cub Cadet parked on any kind of an incline. Have a beautiful day.
227999.gif

GERRY, MARK - I really like a gasket sealer called HYLOMAR, Permatex used to package and sell it but they stopped a couple years ago. If you stop at a good auto parts store they should have it or be able to get it. http://www.hylomarsealant.com/_resources/_html/products.html

CALVIN - Sorry to hear of your 1450 running away on you. I have the same problem with my 982. I hate to leave it set idling because it creeps away, and if I shut it off it sits for a minute then runs away.

I guess I should design and build some wheel chocks especially for use on hydros. As a gear drive fan, I've ALWAYS found my gear drives sitting right where I parked them.
Shift.gif

Robert, here are some photos of the grill brace with a tape measure next to it. The brace is 3/4" wide x 1/8" thick bar stock. Overall length is 17.5". It was hard to get exact measurements of the hole spacing with the brace mounted in the tractor. The top and bottom mounting holes you can measure from your grill frame. The <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> logo is mounted into slotted holes to allow for variations in the mesh grill.

228001.jpg

228002.jpg

228003.jpg

228004.jpg

I've used the Permatex <u>aerobic</u> stuff

Gotta love spell checkers that work overtime...apparently it thought I was into exercises.. for the record - it's <u>Permatex Anerobic</u>

Robert, I have mine off as I'm in the process of painting one of my Original's.
Maybe this photo shows the holes better

228013.jpg

or this one

228014.jpg

or another one, sorry its kind of fuzzy.

228015.jpg

Ron, did Vince use that grill brace as a pry bar?
1a_scratchhead.gif
lol.gif
Thanks for the extra photos of it for Robert. Looks like the <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> logo mounting holes (slots) are 2-1/5" center to center and the slots are approximately 1/2" long. And the center of the top slot for the <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> logo is 4-1/2" from the top of the brace.

Kraig,
Yes, it kind of does, I'll have to have to find him a better tire iron!!
Thanks, Ron

Gerry Ide

I find the right stuff is great for a gasket sealer. I use a lot of it here with no leaks or problems with it breaking down from different chemicals.I use the width of a pencil lead for rear pan gasket and have had no leaks. here is a link to the site http://www.permatex.com/brand_right_stuff.htm Later Don T

Not that it matters at this point, but I'm no smarter than the spell checker... third try - <u>Permatex Anaerobic</u>... Bad day here (would have been 42nd wedding anniversary).....

Latest posts

Back