Archive through July 24, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gentlemen- I have a Cub Cadet 104 with a 42" mower deck that I would like to get spinning.I've looked on YouTube for movies that shows a close-up of the front PTO working, and can't find one. Engaging and disengaging. I believe my PTO has bad bearings....or stuck something....or bad mower spindles...or knuckleheaded operator....or....

If someone knows where a movie of a front PTO and a mower deck working the right way is, let me know. Thanks in advance. Nice job on the website.

Charlie - I thought you were gonna set up a production company for a whole series of music videos starring the entire IHC Cub lineup. Whatever happened to that??
groupwave.gif

Avery, with the mower deck or at least the drive belt off of the tractor, do the three spindles AND the belt tension pulley all turn freely? Do the two pulleys on the mower deck mule drive turn freely? If these all turn freely then you should turn your attention to the PTO.

Charlie nice looking tin there. i hope mine looks that good.Video lol owners manuals are all that you need for most repairs on cubs and i know i do ask questions when i could just look it up for myself. I don`t know where the grouch is but i hope he comes back. maybe we should all pitch in to get him a wireless connection lol. Kentucky hope the back is better soon ! Have a great day

It followed me home last night, roadside sign said it needed a good home.
89204.jpg

89205.jpg

Its my first single lung Kohler cub. 44" Deck looks nasty from top, but is solid. Tractor needs a Battery, air cleaner element, a new seat (Ouch), new starter, and the right side external brake repaired. 12hp Kohler is not original, per original owners manual documentation. Put gas in her, hooked up large automotive batter and fiddled with the starter until it turned over. A shot of ether and I heard the poetry of a single piston Kohler last night. took it for a victory lap around the yard, no motor noise, no smoke, just smooth sailing!

1200 came with sidepanels, manuals, & copy of original sales invoice.

Thanks Kraig, I know you love those K301's.

Maybe I should be thanking Anna??
89208.jpg

Anyone know if the starter from other Kseries (non-cub cadet) Kohlers will fit? My friend has a Ford tractor with a 16 horse Kohler that said I'm welcome to his starter. The piston/rod knocked the starter area of the block out, so he said removal should be pretty easy!

Neighbor's Kohler needs the carb shaft fix (CubFaq 24). After searching "Carb+washers", "Multi+layered+ washers", and about a dozen permutations, including "washer and dryer" I can't find that anyone ever admitted to a source of the "unobtanium" type layered washers, other than the mystery man from Kohler. Charlie appears to have evaded answering, (I think he knew even back then that he'd be selling the actual Kohler kits).
bouncy.gif
Anyone ever remember seeing a source of the multi layered ones identified ?

Kraig,
The worn clutch pivot mount might make sense. though the scatter shield around the clutch is still in place, and I really can't see what's going on. Might try to fire it up, though the previous owner said it knocked and smoked.

I'm gonna try to snag my Dad's engine hoist when I go down to VA this weekend to help with the engine lifting chores. Those engines seem to have gotten heavier than they were when I was a young man.
clappy.gif

Ok I have a 1250 hydro and since i have had it the belts have never fit quite right. I went to my local cub dealer ask him and he said He wouldn't be sure without looking at it ($). He had said i have the right belts. The problem is i have to have a bolt in the slider side of the tension pullys to hold it out far enough. If this is not done the pullys rub on the front axle. (there are marks there forme previous owner) It doesn't matter if it has the tiller or the mower on. They don't fit right. I works this way but makes the belt wear fast. And at 125.00 for the tiller belt i don't want to have to replace it to often. I have already bought two. Any help would be appriciated

Jason, look down this page a bit and you'll see where Myron and I already posted some info for you.
happy.gif

What length/width belt goes from the PTO to the deck on a Cub 1200, with the 44A deck?

This thing is giving me fits.

The clutch from the driver to the rear coupler is 100% new, or was when i put it all on a couple years back. It always shook after that..I shortened the driveshaft to take some stress off of the trans, the new shaft was about an inch too long to work properly.

If i push in the clutch just slightly, the vibration stops..let it up all the way...nasty vibration.

I put it all together from guessing..it was all gone when I got the machine, got all new parts from a dealer, but the dealer had no idea how to put it together.

The mule drive up front doesnt look right, and the left pulley has gone up and eaten well into the front axel at some point...

It also goes through belts pretty good to. About 1 a season being used sparingly.

I figure Im going to have to replace the driveshaft, throwout bearing, and the clutch spring before the end of the season...But as costly as this stuff if I want it to last more than about 40 hours.

Kendell, I got a pack of them washers from Charlie awile back. Worked great!

Charlie:
You own the world's supply of them multi layer washers?? (probably knocked that old Kohler guy out and took his whole stock)....
I suppose I should check McMaster-Carr..

Kendell I.
I used to have about a 100 of them, but am down to less than 10 right now. I really haven't researched them as I dint need to. That would be a good project for ya.
thumbsup_old.gif

I had kind of a weird thing happen when cutting the lawn with the 129 this afternoon. I had been cutting the grass for about 45 minutes when I decided to take a break for a cold drink and to get my sunglasses. As I pulled the tractor in the shed I looked down at the ammeter and noticed it was discharging. I stopped the engine but the generator, minus the drive belt to the engine was still running, even with the ignition off. I had to disconnect the battery to stop it, but when I momentarily reconnected the battery, the generator didn't do anything.

A quick call to Liberty Discount (my local dealer) hooked me up with a new drive belt. While I was at the dealer I mentioned that I just picked up a 102, and one of the employees said he had a 123 he was looking to sell. Told him I need to digest the one I just got, but hey!
After getting the new belt on everything worked normally, now the mowing is finished, and I have a cold golden beverage in my hand.
beerchug.gif

Latest posts

Back