• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 23, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Daniel-

I'd be willing to bet Dennis hit the nail on the head. It sounds like the trunion slot, trunion springs, and the hydro linkage all need attention. Chances are they have never been addressed and at forty plus years of age the grease is all dried up. The steel to steel wear leads to what I call "the slop and wobble syndrome". To fix it right get prepared for several (a few) hours of work. Being a nf makes it even that much more fun.

It's all worth it though.

Okay Guys, still confused (but it doesn't take much). Do I have my snubbers correctly installed? Doesn't make sense!

Norm:

From the explanation that Richard C gave us, looks like it is installed right, just the wrong snubber style. Looks like you need the newer "rounded" bottom type - 922-3004

The 922-3004 converts to IH-61510-C1, which is the flat style and the only style you can get from Cub Cadet today.

Is there any way to determine the year of manufacture of the deck with the numbers on the plate?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Charlie "Digger" Proctor
I`am so glade we move on to new topics ! let`s go to decks. I have a few here that I could use a refresh on ,,,,lol. Is it hot and dry up there ?

Recently, I saw a 582 Special with a hood support latch in place. This kept the hood locked in the open position. I thought it was a great idea. I cannot ever recall seeing any IH garden tractor with a hood support latch to keep the hood steadfast in the open position. Can anyone tell me if the red series (582, 682, 782) had a hood support latch, if any earlier series used a hood support latch, or is this just a fluke? I think it would be a good idea if there was a support latch to keep the hood in the open position. I wish I had one for the 1250 nightmare.

Of all the things I have lost, I think I miss my mind the most.

Brian Wittman: The IH engineers evidently thought as you do, and developed the "stay" latch for the 82 series of tractors. As I was getting my 782 into shape (an ongoing affair) I could never get the latch to work, it seemed to have been bent to the point where it failed to function, or the spring wasn't correct (or wasn't installed correctly).

However, I removed it when I learned on this site that a strong wind, combined with an open and latched hood, could result in a very bent and damaged hood! The consensus on the forum was that the latch was undesirable because of the risk of damage.

I don't know of any other series in which a latch was used, but I have seen references to various sorts of "stays" which people have come up with, or cushions to preserve the paint.

My 149 hood is nearly identical to the Quietline series, and I don't like the way it lays back so far: strains the hinge, in my opinion.

Perhaps there is an accepted method to "hold the hood," for a Quietline, but I haven't seen it posted in the two years I've been on the site. I'm sure some folks have found some ingenious solutions, perhaps we'll hear from some of them.
smile.gif

Edit: If you go to Parts Lookup, for 1711/782 you will find the Hood Latch under "Grille," not Hood/Side Panels (go figure!); it is listed as NLA (No Longer Available).

I made the dead grasss and weeds shorter today, Lot of dust, just thought I'd share.

Dave that may be what the 129 with a 44deck is going to do tommorow at my house

Back