• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through July 08, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbuttke

displayname
Lonny Buttke
Every once in a while you just need a 3rd hand to get the job done.
193606.jpg

Dennis, Lucas
The same pan will fit both the K161 and the K181.

Kendal Harvey, thanks for the pic, but I don't think that is a QA36/42A mounting bracket, it looks more like a QA36/42 mounting bracket.

Below I combined your picture, my mount and tractor, and a section of the parts diagram from the Cub Cadet Parts lookup link above. If you look at the sections at the ends of the green arrows on my bracket and the parts list diagram you will see a sort (2 inch maybe) pin on yours there is a hole. Couple more days of trying to figure this out and I'm giving up and drilling that pin out and going with the "modified" QA42A mounting bracket.

193609.jpg

L.W:
Have you looked at the manuals for the QA-36 (42) and the QA-36A (42A)? Those pins that you're going to cut off are for the top links on a QA-36/42A, which uses a parallel link/lift whereas the 36/42 just pivots up like a snowblade.. Before you start cutting stuff off, you should assemble the entire thrower to make sure you aren't taking a necessary piece off.

BTW, the end yokes on a drive shaft must have the centerlines of the yokes parallel when laid flat on the ground.

I can get a pic of the QA42A that I used on my 147 tomorrow. Its at my sons house, we widened it out to fit his 149. If you cut off the pins how will it lift?

This one didn't follow me home, it's too hot! So I let it ride in the back of my truck.

193614.jpg

193615.jpg

193616.jpg

I started not to get it, but after seeing all the extras on it I changed my mind. Especially when I saw the wheel weights and that little round knob in front of the gear shift arm!
bouncy.gif

My wife saw it and said I was a sick man.
screwloose.gif
I agreed with her, I have cubcadetitis! I tried to explain to her it is kinda like Lays potato chips ("no one can eat just one") "no one can buy just one!"

If I cut off and drill out the pins I would have to replace them with something a rod that will go from side to side or something because as Gerry says the upper arms of the support (you can just see them in the part list picture under the pin labeled "19") need something to be attached to. On another board someone said that the "A" throwers will not work on the 102/122 and I should sell this one and get a QA42. I guess I will need to make some calls and I may need to run up to Madsons soon.

Bill Rehm - glad to see you haven't given up yet. I still think there must be a way and would recommend checking with Scott. Here's my thoughts tho - before you drill the pins out and go to a rod make sure you have the clearance around the PTO and that the belt (from the PTO to right angle gear box) would clear the rod. If the rod idea doesn't work then I think you could still drill the pins out and use bolts slipped in place from inside the tractor frame thru the snowthrower bracket, then held in place with a nut, but then you still have to connect that no. 19 bar onto the bolt and there would have to be a hole in the bolt to pin the bar on. The bar has some play so the nut shouldn't be an issue, but if it is you could rip the nut to half thickness.

R Julian - HEY, get me some close ups of that 1450. I need to know how well you're taking care of it. I'm growing concerned since you lost the 86. I'll keep my eyes out for a 12hp but being in Seattle, well.... (but my son might come across one).

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (they get to attached to ya).

LWH, did you download the articles I mentioned a few days ago from Charlies stuff?
HTTP://ccmanuals.info/pdf/
QA36 and 42 snowthrower operator man.pdf
QA36A and 42A oper manual
Both have excellet drawings that could be of real assistance in possible modifications. JMHO

Allen, yes I have the manuals and for the most part IF, and right not that is a really big IF in my book, a QA42A was intended to work on NF 102/122 tractors those manuals are pretty much useless. They are great is you have the models in the pictures, but I'm starting to think it will not work without modifications.

LWH, I have only seen the blowers from pictures here on the Forum, I'm wondering if you find a way to mount the frame, will you also be able to get the PTO and drive pully lined up. Maybe advertise in our Buy/Sell section and swap with someone else...

Just thought I had better clarify my earlier post. The cub 100 that came home with me today is not hot (stolen). The weather is hot! (around 100 degrees) I purchased the cub from a 72 year old gentleman whose first name is John.
angel.gif
That's ironic; bought a 100 when it was 100 outside. Hope you guys get those snowblowers going soon!
err.gif

Bill Rehm. Theres a bolt used to hold the top cast piece on some lifts. It's a bolt that only has threads so far down and the rest of the length is smooth (like a pin). Those bolts prolly don't have enough threads but it's your answer. If you decide to cut your pins and drill them out take a half inch bolt and have a machinist cut the unneeded threads down to the pin size. Don't forget the hole for the cotter pin. All that being said, have you considered trying to trade this snowblower for one that fits your tractor?

Got a little more done on the 682 loader today. A friend of my dad's welded up the muffler box and oil pan, and I re-machined the pads on the bottom of the pan. It didn't warp much, but I wound up having to lap the gasket surface on my sheet of glass and sandpaper since we had to drill all the way through those two mounting holes, build up material, drill/tap through from the back, and then weld plugs into the holes on the gasket side.

193618.jpg

193619.jpg

I also moved the hydraulic lines further forward on the front crossbrace to get more room so I can hopefully slide the loader back another inch.

193620.jpg

I'm also using a spare frame and junk aluminum rear to make it easier to build the subframe.

193621.jpg

My steering column parts are in, so tomorrow I'll get those, get some steel to brace the engine mount rails, and get more steel for the subframe.

The following is from the descriptions at the Binder Book site...

"International QA-36A & QA-42A Snow Thrower. 36" and 42" models built from 1971-1980 with S/N 400,000 and below, including models 70, 71, 72, 73, 86, 100, 102, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 147, 149, 169, 800, 1000, 1200, 1250, 1450 & 1650.18 pgs"

The only thing that the manual says about models is that for tractors with serial number 400,000 and below require an adapter package to operate the snow thrower. All I can think of is there is something in that "adapter package" that will solve my problems, but I have had no luck with that parts list.

What would be slick is if you could set the subframe for a WF then make a bracket to fit inbetween the 2 and use the QT front pins and the frankenstien bolts to the rear.

How does the cap for the steering wheel attach? there used to be a retainer that was available, now no longer available. So how do you guys attach the cap?

Tom

Tom, for which tractor? Up to the WF they just push on.

Bill R - we talked about the adapter package. The parts book doesn't list anything special that would allow it to work on a non-QA tractor. That's why I recommend checking with Scott Madson - if there's a part you need to make it work I'm certain Scott will know what it is. Maybe it's a part that would normally come with the tractor?

Marty G - geez, never even gave a thought to the tractor being "hot", but now that you've mentioned it, you outta get one of those temp gauges these guys were discussing awhile back. That way, when the Police arrive you can tell them - Hot??, the gauge never even read above 100.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (but they sure can get stumped).

Latest posts

Back