• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through July 07, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya, something doesn't look quite right there. But if its really torqued, wouldnt that shaft have sheared, or at minimum sheared the lands off. ??

I'm finally just about finished with paint on the 102! Got the second coat of primer sanded, and touched things up with a skim coat of spot putty here and there on the hood. I got the wheels masked off again and mixed up a pint of International White (which is the off-white white) and laid down the finish coat on the hood and wheels. Just a couple of nibs in the paint, but I laid down a nice wet glossy finish with no runs, at least I'm getting better at this by now. I also learned my lesson from my first attempt at spraying the yellow parts and moved the wheels and hood inside the garage as soon as I could. All that's left now is the black parts, such as the coil, footrests, and reflectors, and the grille, which gets painted silver.

I'll let the wheels dry overnight, then tomorrow I'll make the tractor a roller again, and get it out of the weather and give everything a chance to harden up over the weekend before I start reassembling it. I also ordered my decals from Binder, hopefully they'll be in stock.

I'm getting psyched, it's starting to come together after nearly a year.
beerchug.gif

154206.jpg

Hey guys, I have a newbie clutch question for you all. Some may remember me posting a couple of weeks ago about a 100 I bought. Well, I bought another 100 and the clutch is "out" on this one. I got it from my local CC "expert" and he said the throwout bearing was bad. My question is this, will a throwout bearing alone keep the clutch from disengaging(won't go into gear w/out grinding)? What else could possibly cause this? I've changed clutches on vehicles before, but for the life of me and can't figure out if the t/o bearing is the only culprit. The tractor is at home(Oklahoma) and I'm in Mississipi right now. I'm wanting to order my parts so they'll be home before I get there. What else should be replaced while I'm in there? This 100 is new to me, so I haven't dug very deep into this issue. Thanks, Ian

Ian,
If the throwout bearing is defective, you will have a couple of problems. If the bearing has completely self-destructed, it will no longer serve the function of being able to compress the spring with the inner race when the outer race is engaged by the throwout lever. This will cause the clutch pedal to have little or no resistance, and the bearing will probably be in pieces.

If the inner and outer races have seized, the throwout bearing may still "work" for a while, particularly if a little grease is applied to the driveshaft where the throwout bearing slides. If not, the clutch pedal will tend to bind up, the clutch will be noisy, and a nice deep groove will form on the driveshaft where the driveshaft spins against the frozen bearing.

Another possibility is that the clutch plates are rusted together, in particular the rear one is supposed to slide along the driveshaft a bit. Once they are freed up, a little dry lube of some type carefully applied where the plate slides will help keep it from seizing up again.

i have a o that needs a gear replaced. it is still working but it is a pain in my rear. my question is can i get new gears.
explotar2jr.gif

Thanks Bruce
I bought this 100 the day before I came back to work and really didn't have time to dig into it. The tractor is pretty nice and I wanted it, so I took a chance on this clutch issue. Hopefully, I'm not opening up a can of worms. I did a little research and found that some guys change the clutch w/ it still on the tractor. I bookmarked an archive from 2004 w/ a very helpful step-by-step. Is this the preferred way these days? I've got the service manual and have read its steps. Thanks again, Ian

the diagrams arent exactly helping me much. basicilly i want to know what to hook a negative and a positive wire to to wire in a ammeter on my 100

Paul after i posted my problem the problem got worse to the point where it didn't pull itsself in 3rd lo or hi. I can see other damage in there so i will change the whole unit when i can find one. Thanks for the input very much.
Matt the shaft looks twisted to me also but after closer examanation i don't think it is.

Ronald B. According to Hank Will's book "Cub Cadet The First 45 Years",which lists the production numbers, the 126 was not produced in near the numbers as most of the others in the series. I have restored mine and it is also a worker and are real trooper.

Latest posts

Back