• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 31, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaytay

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Home of the Plow Special
Kraig-
Thanks for the comments on the photo. It was literally one of those situations where you pull the tractor out of the garage, then turn around and think, "Hey, that's a pretty cool shot" so you whip out the cell phone and take a pic. Zero thought was given to angle or composition.

Now I'll have to take another 10,000 photos before getting another good one. LOL

Dave K-
I was there when Kraig installed that breather cover. I specifically remember him going, "Who the HECK needs directions for a breather-cover?" Then he crumpled them up and threw them over his shoulder while laughing. I think he DESERVES what he gets!
1a_violin.gif

Allen, I need to get the replacement dipstick from Art, no need to "get him" for that.
happy.gif

Art,
lol.gif
the breather cover was installed by Dave when he built Killer for me.

There was an inch and a half long icicle hanging off of the breather hose. I snapped that off and there is ice well up inside the hose. It was cold enough that the hose did not want to come off of the brass barb so tomorrow I may have to cut it off. I have a couple quarts of 10W30 synthetic for tomorrow's oil change as well. Before the sun went down I walked around the driveway looking all over for the missing dipstick. No sign of the dipstick or any trace of oil.

Speaking of dipsticks, I'm surprised no one (Art) has done the obvious and referred to me as a dipstick... yet.
happy.gif

Kraig, I thought you, if anyone would track that dipstick down( not my friend Art) It must still be there

Kendall H - hmmmmm, something fishy about your 14hp in the 147. That engine came with a screw-in dipstick in the cam cover which was only to be used to check the oil level. Then, on the top of the engine there was a fill tube stick. That top stick was about half the length of the tube. Those grenade gears were in the way to use a full length dip stick in the tube. Is your engine modified by chance? Did someone remove the grenade gears, install a solid cam cover and go to the standard full length dipstick in the top of the engine????

Art - I may have missed something here, but it sounds like Kraig thinks his dipstick flew all the way over to your place. If he tells you to have a look see around your yard I wouldn't waste your time. Just tell him it never made it that far. And another thing, I still think you're right about "Who the HECK needs directions for a breather-cover?"

My 147 did not come from factory with a screw in dipstick. It had the 2 sticks as you describe but neither screwed in.

BRIAN B. - Before you remove & shim out the gearbox, can't you slide the driven pulley further onto the shaft? If the pulley is like the one on my QA-36, you may have to remove the pulley and slide it on the other way, the hub is much wider on one side than the other.

LUTHER, HARRY - As I said, the K321 in my 72 was originally installed in a 147. Just had the cam gear cover dip stick. Yes, the grenade gears makes using the top of the block location impossible for a dip stick, I've heard of some CC's having two dip sticks, but really only one is needed and I think was most common. Probably depended on what block casting Kohler had available to use.

I'd really rather have only one dip stick. And I'd prefer it to not be the cam gear cover location but can deal with it. Since I've removed the Grenade gears in the K321, I guess if I bored the hole on the top of the block and tapped threads I could install a top of the block dip stick tube and replace the cam gear cover but the time to have done that was about ten yrs ago before the block was bored & honed.

That second "dipstick" on some K321's makes for a wonderful WTF moment!
happy.gif
happy.gif

My 127 with the 12hp has the same setup. Dip stick on the cam cover and half a dipstick on the right side. Kraig, mine blew out the dipstick pulling out of the garage once, never did it again. Always wondered what caused it. I thought I didn't put it on tight when I checked the oil.

Dennis you are correct. I had to replace the pulley with a new one to go to a 5/8 belt and the only thing they had in stock at the time was a tapper lock which at the time seemed like a pretty good idea but it does limit the amount I can slide it a little. My plan it make a plumb-bob and see just what needs to move and how far. I have a feeling that had I gone with the fixed hub, it might have given me enough clearance to line the pulleys up.

Had another 5" this AM so thought I'd see how the O and the IH Danco BB36 would do. Got to be careful where I go with her though because I have no chains on it. As long as I stay level and off the Ice I'm OK. Does a great job considering!

I restored the BB last fall and this is it's 1st outing. Still have to finish the clutch rod for her though. So just engaged it and snapped on a small pair of vise grips.

283240.jpg

Art,

Per your quote -

" was there when Kraig installed that breather cover. I specifically remember him going, "Who the HECK needs directions for a breather-cover?" Then he crumpled them up and threw them over his shoulder while laughing. I think he DESERVES what he gets!"

I agree but the only thing I'm concerned about is that I gave Kraig a lifetime warranty on that engine and I may have to fix it for free!

Kraig, all kidding aside, I think your choice of lubricating oil is wise. During all this sub-zero weather, I was planning on leaving my 1250 outside and make a video of it starting (or attempting to) to brag about the benefits of PointSaver ignition and synthetic oil. I ended up not doing it, but still may if I get enough encouragement.

Dave

David S.,

Nice pair of machines you have, there!

I am curious to know if there is any side movement or slide on that Quietline when using the blade at an angle. Is this much of a problem?

I put your pointsaver on my 1650 last year and it starts as soon as I turn the key even letting it sit in the garage for two weeks at between 30 and 40 deg. Which isn't as good a test as leaving it outside which I'll never do. I'm using 30w oil formulated for diesel engines which has the right specs for our engines. I am going to try synthetic oil next change. So I am encouraging the test. What brand synthetic do you recommend? Or I guess I should look up old post on oil to not start another debate on that.

Luther - the dipstick on the cam cover of your 147, was it just push fit? I remember the top end of the stick being really heavy solid piece of metal and thought it screwed in - was it just a push fit? Can you post a pic.

Dave K - I vote for having you leave your 1250 Killer K outside (covered of course) to do your test. And by the way, I see now that Art was correct in what he remembers Kraig saying
"Who the HECK needs directions for a breather-cover?" but should have also added "this engine comes with a life time warranty"
rofl.gif
**Life time of the engine

Brian, no side shift at all to speak of with it unless of course you get into a big bank or really packed down/frozen stuff. I'm constantly amazed at what these little rigs will do and kinda glad we do live on a dead end street from time to time. Son and I had a blast cleaning it off this AM.

Keith O.,

Thanks for the good report on the PointSaver. And, not to start another Great Oil Debate, my personal choice is Mobil 1 10W-30 which you can run all year around. However, if the tractor was to sit outside in sub-zero weather, I think Mobil 1 5W-20 would be the right choice, corresponding to what the Kohler recommendations are. This weight would be a bit low in viscosity to run in the summer though.

Harry,

We never discussed who's lifetime the warranty is for, but I think Kraig assumes it's mine, and he knows where I live.

Dave

David S - nice action shot with your O there. Are you running a BB or CW thrower?

Brian - I can also attest to no side shift when pushing snow, at least on my old 1450 with a 42" blade. I did have to generally angle the tractor if there was any real dept to the snow, to keep the snow from tricklin' off the left end of the blade, but the tractor would always track right where you put her. When I finally found a QA42A thrower it was a whole different dream and the only way to go as far as I'm concerned. Later I came up with an extremely hard to find 54" blade which I only used a few times but it sure helped avoid the trickle off the left end. I didn't have room in my garage to keep both set up and ready for duty so I just stuck with the QA42A for all my snow removal. Sorry I don't remember who the lucky guy was that got my 54" blade but I feel certain he's still having fun.

Art - how's that 169/1650 database coming along? I haven't seen any recent ones come up and wondering if you think you've now found all that's left of'em.

Harry, It's a BB, One I restored last fall. I have another but is missing some parts, I may try and resurrect it next fall if time allows.

Right now I'm trying to figure out a 1000 w/trans troubles. The shift lever is all over the place and don't seem to stick down in the case far enough to catch the rails. Must be something busted under the cup.

And after that its back to the 1250 and it's engine and after that it's the main trans seal in the 1450 and after that.....and after that....
Good grief, and I'm supposed to be retired here!!HaHa

Back