• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 27, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmull

displayname
D. Ryan Mull
...darn bug...

76301.jpg

Todd-

Bare aluminum will transfer heat much better than painted aluminum. That's why the head is bare from the factory.

Art A. Here is something for ya!!!

CHICK MAGNET
biggrin.gif

And for the Wannabes. Ask April

Man.... cabin fever has set in. I need to do something wtih the Cubs other than move snow around. I am sooo ready for Plow Day... or lawn mowing.

Thanks to all for the info on the cyl head. As I thought, I will leave it bare

Thanks to all for the spindle upgrade links and info. One more ??? for today. Is the drag link straight or does it have a curve in it?

Thanks!

Todd - Bead blast looks good on aluminum. It'll smooth it out a little too.

William - steeeeeeraight....I was thinking baseball , straight
happy.gif

"Thanks to all for the spindle upgrade links and info. One more ??? for today. Is the drag link straight or does it have a curve in it?

Thanks!"

Mine is straight, 1650.

Kentucky, I might try that. I have never used bead blast, always used double OO for paint/rust removal. Thanks

Todd:
Back in the oooold days, 2 stroke racing mechanic theory said that the best aluminum heat radiant was bead blasted (rough surface - more surface area), then anodized black.. IIRC, Cycle World or Cycle had a tech article on it, sometime in the mid 70's). Musta been the 70's, cause I remember it..
clown.gif
.On my Cushman rebuild, I media blasted the fins, then files the edges shiny (for looks)..

Ran into a problem starting the 782 this weekend. The key was dead, though the rest of the system worked.

Since it seemed like a safety switch problem, I started playing with things, until playing with the PTO switch got things going. Before I buy a switch, is there a different problem I should check out?

Thank God it was 45 degrees in IA this weekend. Made it more fun to figure this out.

Kendall, the 70's? So that would make you... Just kidding. Ok bead blast the head, can you bead blast through a Matco speed blaster? I have used this for sand blastin, again I have never used bead media to blast. Also, are there different media's for bead blast?

Its been a good cub day in Florida. Until today I haven't been able to rotate the crankshaft of my 127 acquired 12-1-07. Today with the use of a pipe wrench between the starter pulley and the PTO pulley I was able to move the crank some. It gave me hope that nothing was serious broken.
My son-in-law, a pretty good personal water craft mechanic, had the idea that rain water may have gotten down the vertical exhaust (put on by PO) and into the engine. This afternoon I got the exhaust off and sure enough there was a pile of rust in the exhaust port. Seeing that, I decided to take the head off and see what it looked like inside. WOW, what a mess. Apparently the last time the engine was shut down it stopped with the exhaust valve open. Here are pictures of what I found. Roaches (and possibly spiders)had been living in the cylinder. I scooped out the mess then used the shop vac to clean out the top of the piston and around the valves and exhaust and intake ports.

The piston would go to bottom then back up but not to the top. Then I realized it was stopping because of the rust on the walls where the roach nest had been perched on top of the piston. I used some steel wool and worked on the walls untill they felt smoother. I cleaned after scrubing with the vac and a magnet. Then after flooding the piston edge with oil I slowly brought the piston up until it came all the way to top. I was pleased that the valves operated as a four cycle should. I have hope I can get this cub running without breaking further into the Kohler ... Sorry for the long post but I feel really good about my progress.
76306.jpg

76307.jpg

76308.jpg

76309.jpg

I wasn't too clear in my last post refering to media. When I said media, I thought that meant the consistency of the material being used.
dunno.gif

Kendell or anyone, can you school a young buck on this?

I figured it was new thinking, I do remember the older air cooled bikes being bare aluminum. Even my 79 Suzuki street bike was bare. When I was racing in the late '80s they were always painted flat black, even the new ones now are black unless it a "high dollar look how much better I am" Harley. The base Harley's are black painted. I don't know, guess it doesn't matter much. Does it really make that much of a temp difference ? I never tested it to find out. Bead blasted aluminum does look better though.

Sorry Charlie, I got caught up in the moment from responses to my own Q. If anyone has an answer or thoughts to my last post, feel free to e-mail me.

Just realized I didn't get captions under the pictures. They are from top to bottom:

My cub work area rust in the exhaust port

looking down with the head off the mess on the piston top

Strait H, if I opened an engine and saw that. I would be wanting to overhaul the entire engine.Especially if it was froze. Sorry, happy cubbin...

KenTuck (and others),

Is there anywhere a DIY'er can buy just an air tank in the 40-60 gallon size? The only places I've found it would be cheaper to buy a new unit and scrap the compressor and motor. Then I could get my Cub painting done quicker.

JimE

Strait, Were you hammering on that piston? Looks like something got in there that shouldn't have. Almost surely gonna have to grind those valves. Might as well go all the way...

Latest posts

Back