• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 25, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info on the pin, and the type of material I should look for, plus the size information. Helps the wallet not to buy one of what looks like the possible size, plus one on either side!

Any chance you can try to load the picture again? It apparently didn't show up.

Terry B. -

I answered your lubricant question as far as what is supposed to be there. Twice. Charlie chimed in with what he used.

You can even get the bearings from McMaster for a bit less.

Dale R. -

It's been said that MTD's "reprints" are crappy photocopies - about as bad as the yahoo on ePay that sells manuals...
wink.gif

Judging from Cap'n Kirk's pic, I'd say McMaster might be a good source for said pin.

Earl... here ya go...
\here's mine,
25311.jpg

along with some other designs of forum members that i've drawn ispiration from:
25312.jpg
25313.jpg

25314.jpg
25315.jpg

Here's a hydraulic chute rotator that Dan H. put on his snowblower.
25318.jpg

25319.jpg

David P. -

BTW, you get an A+ on your homework
lol.gif

Terry B. -

Come to think of it, that pin seems familiar - looks just like the clevis pin off an Original's brake band...

Anybody have a retro fit for the "U-joint" thing (#397043 R1) on the chute control rod for the QA throwers?? They are +/- $35. for that pressed tin can!! For that kinda' money I can get a "Snap-On" 3/8" swivel

Charlie -

Or a monster GRIN to go with it!

Tom H. -

McMaster's got all sorts of u-joints and stuff - something's gotta work. But it may not be much cheaper.

Tom, Bryan, I bought one from McMaster-Carr. I installed it this past fall. It works but due to the tight clearance of the u-joint it tends to freeze up more so than the OEM one did. This might change as it wears in. I had to drill out the holes in it slightly to fit the control rod and drill a holes for the cotter pins. But all in all an easy mod. I believe it is MC part number: 6445K3 about $8. This model has a 3/8" ID bore.
McMaster-Carr

25323.jpg

Kraig -

I wonder if there's some way to put together some kind of boot over that joint...

And that PN checks out. $8.24 now.

Kraig -

Hmmm, I know...

Ya know that clear plastic sleeve that covers up the coiled part of a brand new keyboard's cord? How 'bout a hunk of that and two twist ties? Ugly but functional.

Bryan, good idea on the boot. McMaster-Carr sells some but they are more than the U-Joint! :eek:O

I think I'll just give it a good coating of WD-40 before and after each use.

Tom, I'll try to rememebr to take a photo of it tonight now that I have it installed.

HAS anyone ever used POR 15 to coat the inside of a snow thrower or mower deck? I've got my CW36 ground down, need to STOP the rust forever. Plan to top coat with graphite paint, but the POR 15 is really glossy. Maybe no slip coat? Any comments from the experts...? Dave P

Charlie,

Safe to say, considering the circumstances, that was the best use for that item at the time!!!!!

Kraig -

I saw that. Crikey!!

Jerry H

Thank you for offer of photos of the gear box, but I figured out what happened.

The snap ring on the outside of the box failed and allowed the pulley/bevel gear shaft to move inward. This reduced the amount of engagement between shaft and gear. Snap ring is still there, just not in its grove, thats where I was a little confused. Ordered high carbon steel key stock and stainless snap rings.

Thanks again

Jim P.
Check that groove really well, they do have a tendency to take out the end once and a while, I've had it happen.
25327.jpg

25328.jpg

Latest posts

Back