• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 22, 2015

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snicklas

displayname
Scott Nicklas
Steve,

That is the truth. This is my first season with a hydro angle blade. That thing ROCKS!!!!!! For the last 30+ years I have only had the hydro lift, so yep, on, off, on, off, on, off....... This year, I got out of the seat once, that was when I got on the 1650 to play .... umm ..... use the snow thrower... first year with one of those also.

The hydro blade also came in handy Monday when I had to push my VW in the garage after it decided it didn't like the passenger side half-shaft anymore. It was nice to be able to keep the blade flat on the bumper no matter the angle difference between the two. Never knew what I was missing......

Steve nailed it with his FARMALL comment. I don't have a spinner on any of my Cubbies, but I don't think I could drive a FARMALL without one.

I know my 72 & 982 both had spinners when I bought them and I took them off. My Super H did not have a spinner when Dad bought it, which I thought was surprising. I bought the good sealed ball bearing spinner at my IH dealer as soon as I could. I'd had too many blood blisters from the wood knob with the steel pin that was worn out like the M has. Never been pinched with the spinner on the Super H.

I am all hydro at my place and the snow pusher is manual turn on a 169, so yep on off on off.

But I hope to this summer get a 2072 with dual hydro running so I can look for a power angle blade.

Boy oh boy oh boy - Steve got it started talking Spinners, and I had to go an mention girlies. Everyone I see has to many clothes. Charlie has one getting pretty close to the really good ones but it is looking a bit tired. I'm surprised in this day and age you'd think they'd be all over the place.

And what's all this discussion now about hydraulics being a must have for a blade. I thought using a blade had gone out of fashion for snow - as far as I'm concerned a Thrower is a must have, and using it on a Hydro tractor is another must have.

Jeff - don't waste your money moving up to the bigger/better 2072 Cub on Steroids - just go get yourself a QA42A Thrower.

Hey guys, I just bought a creeper for my original...having troubles finding a short drive shaft without dropping a pile of money on it... Does anyone know how difficult it is to modify a 'non-creeper' driveshaft to fit? Is it worth trying or too much of a pain? I cant seem to find anything on it or any measurements anywhere. Thanks for any help!

Harry I don't know about you or others but my QA36 does not play well with the 150 feet plus of gravel driveway. Nor does throwing with the mower the rocks that manage to eat their way thru the throwers auger.

IMHO blades and gravel go together alot better.

As far as the 2072 goes, I aleady own one, and I also own a QA36

293561.jpg

Jeff - when ya run out of places to push the snow, a thrower becomes a necessity. I always started the winter with a blade and when the driveway was frozen moved to the thrower. Launching the occasional rock that the frost popped up was all part of a days Cubbin'.... I now, of course, side step the entire issue.
clappy.gif

Harry,

I completely agree with you, concerning the use of a snow thrower. Where I live, the snow comes in the fall and leaves in the spring. (Except for this year.) Using a blade to move it causes piling problems. The thrower gets the snow up and out of the way.

Now, I have to figure out how to modify my QA-42a to fit my 782 Problem, once the thing becomes operational. I guess a couple if the mounting/lifting arms are supposed to be changed and a different scheave is necessary for the drive. Is that correct?

So much stuff to fix and restore/rehab/refurbish.

Jason: Many drive shafts from IH were marked where to cut them to accommodate a creeper drive. Look closely at the one in your tractor, you may find a mark on it. I'm not sure if the hole for the Spirol pin was pre-drilled, but I'm sure the drive shaft is marked for a cut. Kraig can probably dig up some pictures. If all else fails, or you simply need a new drive shaft, one of this site's sponsors, I'm sure, can supply exactly what you need.

Note: I know that the drive shaft in my CCC era 782 was marked for cut-off; and the tractor would never receive a creeper gear; so the mark was specific to the drive shaft part, not the tractor/transmission in which it was installed. I think.
smile.gif

Jeff - if you have a 150ft drive you got along way to push the snow - or you must make alot of little piles along the way. I sure have to think a thrower would be better so it moves the snow quite a distance and you don't end up with piles on either side of your drive - basically what Gerry was saying. As for the stones, well it's a hazzard using a thrower - just make sure you're throwing them the right direction - not toward your house or car/truck/kids (but towards your neighbors might be ok if they are far enough).

Brian - yup, as far as I know you only need those bent arms and the 5/8 drive pulley. I think you might even get away without the bent arms if your 782 grill is missing - don't know for certain but it may still hit the upper grill housing.

Jason S - unfortunately I have to disagree with part of Jeremiah's info (sorry Jeremiah). It's my understanding the driveshaft for the Original is not made or marked to be cut. That doesn't mean you can't tho. You just have to know how long it needs to be and then where to re-drill the holes. You should be able to figure out where to put the holes based on the original shaft. Hopefully someone on here can advise if it is possible and how long it needs to be for use with the UD-6 Creeper.

Jeremiah, thank you...Ill check it out...and that was my concern was drilling the hole exactly where it needed to be.

I'm with Jeff on his thinking. I, too have a gravel drive and prefer a blade. I do have a blower, but it needs some parts to make it complete. Used to have a QA42A on my old 169. Did a nice job, but at hard as I tried, it still threw rocks in my yard. Now I hop on one of the smokers with the Haban blade. Works like a dream. Any big drifts, I pull out the loader tractor.

I bet Jeff could clean up the big piles with his loader, too. Jeff, you still have your loader right?
proud.gif

Jason, as Hydro mentioned there are no markings on the Original's drive shaft. I do not know what the length of the drive shaft needs to be for use with the creeper. The Danco Underdrive gear aka creeper originally came with a short drive shaft as part of the install kit. Perhaps Charlie knows the length.
dunno.gif

I don't have one at my location and looking for the diameter of the disc brake rotor on a cub cadet 1200 or any other model.

Josh, you bet, and someday a power angle on my SUPER.

No I don,t have little piles, I do have long windrows the whole length.

And not to sound conceded but an excperienced snow pusher can work miricles with a 169 and snowblade.

heres my 2072,my drive cleaned with a cub hydro with snow blade, and my 129 pusher

293571.jpg

293572.jpg

293573.jpg

Jason S. if no one has the correct measurement for you (I'm sure someone does)mount the creeper and measure twice or three time, cut once. To cut I would recommend a metal band saw, sawzall or good old fashion hack saw. But take your time using the hand saws to make sure it's a straight cut.
As far as drilling the hole, install the shaft and mark the hole using a alignment punch. Now for the critical part, drilling the hole straight through. Using a drill press and V blocks is the best way. If you don't have V blocks you can use the part of the drive shaft that you cut off to center the drill bit. Clamp the old piece in the vise and adjust until your drill bit aligns with the hole smoothly. Then place the shortened shaft in the vice and drill. If you don't have access to drill press, pay someone who does.

Jeff - geez, your 2072 has that 60" monster deck on it, which I think weighs more than the tractor. Had one on an 1872 and didn't even try to pull the deck from underneath - I think the deck was made so you just drive/back over it.

Now, as for pushing the snow and the pic of your plowed driveway - where would you push the next snow if you got 2feet? Your blade ain't 4feet tall so you're gonna be pushing it into the snow already there. Your thrower would have moved the snow 30feet away. I think a blade is ok for a few inches but once you get to about 6-8 a thrower is the real way to go.

Harry I have not used a thrower/blower in 3 years not counting this year. After it snows I do a VERY good job at pushing it out of the way. and if we get 2 feet at one time(does not normaly happen here) then I plow the drive multiple times.

An if we have a warning I go out and clear away any piles I have created.

I really do not understand why others have a hard time pushing snow.

I am not disagreeing with a throwers ability to get rid of snow, I just prefer pushing and the seat time that comes with it.
The only reason I wont ever sell my QA36 is because it is there,, if I ever decide to use it.

OT i got rid of the deck, the 2072 will be a dual purpose summer/winter "plower"

293580.jpg

Latest posts

Back