• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 18, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charlie,
I might have been more excited about the muffler if it had been for an 800 rather than the other QL's.........
lol.gif
but I guess it is still a neat find.

I would like to know where to find Cub stuff, I never find anything around here(guess it helps to look once and a while). LOL

Don you can use a self tapping screw that will go in and grip the zerk and try prying it out or if the screw is the right size and long enough just screw it in and it will hit the spindle and force it out, BTDT

Ok guys - I know this is out of season but wanted to see if anyone has seen these or come up with info on them in the past. My son picked up this 3-gang reel mower set-up awhile back with a 149, from the original owner. It's the one in the brochure pic, and was apparently made for IH by Sun-Mastr'. It's actually looks like a nice 60" mowing set up.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die
(they just find another resting place)

234526.jpg
234527.jpg

234528.jpg
234529.jpg

Hey Charlie - all of us on here have the ole "Yellar and White" fever, so it don't matter if there is a little bit of dust on that muffler. Just wipe it off with a soft cloth, put her back in that IH box, put her on the shelf, and start making notes for stories you can tell your grand-kids one day when you discover it on that shelf again. And the same goes for the Headlight set up.

Don T - as long as the entire top is broke off you should have any problem punching that zerk all the way thru, and then you can just install a new push in type.

Harry,
That reel mower is listed in my 1974 IH accessory equipment booklet. I don't have any pics of the booklet, but I can tell you what it says.
"Heavy-Duty Reel Mower-SUN-MASTR Trailing; cuts 60-in. swath. Three 21-in. cutting reels, each with 5 crucible steel cutting knives, are 6-in. in diameter; Timken tapered roller bearings. 11x3-in. rubber-tired wheels are solid rubber with slip-proof tread. Gang frames are heavy-duty 3-inch channel iron with patented spring arrangement for 4-way controlled action. Five reel, 97-in. cutting swath model also available." Manufactured by The Sun-Mastr Corp. 603 S Kansas Ave., Olathe, Kansas 66061 Phone: 913-782-3456 Order Model No. T-321-R or Model T-521-R (5-gang, 97-in. swath)
Hope this helps. Remember this is in a 74' booklet, so I wouldn't guarantee the phone number to work!
ihrotate.gif

Well. As was said years ago for the tuna commercial... Sorry Charlie.
sorry.gif

I guess I'm "Old School" and quiet line stuff just don't get it done for me... But that headlight setup does make me smile...

Harry/Paul/Charlie,
New to the 800 tractor gang. Is the muffler on a 800 different that a 1000-1650? I did notice that the fuel tank is different on my 800 than the other QL's I have. How about the front electric PTO? Mine needs some TLC. Any other differences?

Marty G - thanks for the description details of what's in your booklet. 1974 is the correct time-line for these since they came with the 149 tractor.

Charlie - thanks for pointing out the Sun-Mastr' catalog. Looks like they did alot of mowers approved for use with IH equipment.

I'm still hoping someone has seen these in action. They mention using them on playgrounds, golf courses and cemeteries (not necessarily in that order).

Tom H - sorry I never got into an 800 and only ever seen one, but my recollection was that just about everything is different, including the muffler and the PTO.

Thanks again to everyone

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (and sometimes they even move around after dark).

I went to the back earlier this morning to check the wood in the stove and decided to see if one of the 1650's would start at 25.8 below.
It just growled at me and said NO!
But the 1450 didn't let me down!
It snorted a little but fired off.
So rather than disappoint it and leave it out, I brought it in the shop to really warm up.
thumbsup_old.gif

HARRY - I don't have any experience with the Sun-Master gang reel mowers behind CC's, but a company I used to work for used an old refurbished Ford tractor and a 7-gang reel mower to mow their HUGE 4-5 acre front lawn. Thing took a really wide swath, the old retiree who came to mow every couple days didn't mow fast but it did a beautiful job mowing, took two zero-turn riders flying over the yard to mow as fast as he did when he stopped mowing due to poor health.

The reel mowers are touchy to set up correctly to mow well, the blades are fussy to sharpen since they shear the grass against a stationary cutter bar but they're really good for the grass. And since they are only 21 inches wide they follow ground contours. They don't like twigs, sticks, or other debris in the grass, dulls the rotating blades and shear bar, plus the sticks can cause the rotating reels to stop.

They pull really easy, a 149 on a 3-gang mower is WAY over-kill on HP. A 7 HP CC can easily pull a 5 gang mower. They don't mow tall grass or weeds well but they cover the ground so fast you can mow much more frequently. They work best on dry grass of course, so the drive wheels don't slip.

Your SON made a great find there. That will make a nice display at shows when it's all cleaned up nice. Be fun to mow with too.

CHARLIE - If you poked me early in the morning at 25.8 degrees below zero and tried to get me started I would have GROWLED at you too!

TOM H. - How much snow are you supposed to get tomorrow? Up here where Dan B, Paul R. & I live they're saying 4-6 inches and heavier down by the state line, maybe 8-9 inches. yeah.... I've cleaned the drive twice and I'm ready for spring already!

Tom H
On the 800, the muffler, the aluminum air box casting that bolts to the front of the engine (the part the tin duct work around the muffler bolts to), the air cleaner, and the starter are different than what is used on the other QL's. The PTO clutch assembly has a different P/N than the other models, although some of the replaceable parts are the same. The gas tank should be the same as the others. The original starter was very small in diameter compared to the others, but was NLA by the early 1990's (Revision 25 of the parts manual, dated 3/92) and was replaced by one larger in diameter that required a slight frame mod for it to fit. I can find nothing that really tells how to do the mod other than what the parts manual says, quote: "Starter Motor Assembly (Order replacement starter KH-41-098-03 which is a larger diameter starter that will require a slight frame modification)" end quote. All that is required is to grind a small amount off the inside edge of the top lip of the frame rail, to provide clearance for the starter. Probably have to cut the bottom lip of the side panel some, also. I have seen some 800's that had some pretty nasty butcher jobs done to them in this area. The muffler, air box bracket, air cleaner, and an original small starter, that are NOS or in good condition, are not easy to find. The air box bracket and starter are probably the hardest to find...........unless Charlie has some stashed in his "Cub Cadet gold mine"
dunno.gif

Dennis over here in freeport/rocford they are calling for 5 to 7 inchs. Tom H.is due east of me about 75 miles and i think will get close to the same

now to a ? I have only used my push blade with manual lift 129 and was thinking of putting it on my 149. Has anyone ever damaged a lift cylinder pushing hard snow or having the snow force the blade up?

Dennis,
I usually don't worry about it until it's on the ground. You know how some of the weather guessers can be.

Harry/Paul,
Thanks for the input on the 800. I guess I should be happy that it's pretty much all original (Until I have to replace parts).

I have some issues with the front pto. Looks like the PO did some "fixing" which is usually scary. Not sure what's going on in front, but pully looks loose with some sort of collar fix thing. Too cold to mess with it now.

The fuel tak is definitely different, the "neck" of the tank is smaller and different cap too. I've never seen this kind of cap before. Looks like I've go some learnig to do on this 800.

234542.jpg

Tom I have the same cap with gauge on a 149 roller I bought. I know it wasn't stock and the float for the gauge is gone.

CHARLIE - You're just a SHOW-OFF today! Last MMC catalog I got was #105 I think. Still one of the "little ones", now there about the size of a Chicago phone book!

I know they have a on-line catalog but you miss so much not flippng pages in the paper catalog.

Between MMC & Grainger you can find the solution to just about anything in the shop.

Latest posts

Back