• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 18, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couple of questions:
1. Do I need a special clutch driver for the 1200 I'm building?
2. Can I change a s/g engine over to electric starter?
Thanks

Hey guys I just joined your site a friend of mine refered me to this site because I race lawn mowers I don't pull. But I did join to hopefully get some information on how to get every last bit of power out of my Kohler 17hp magnum. Only problem is rules in my association don't alow after market parts or getting parts for my motor machined. So would you guys bi any chance know some little secrets to how I can modifie my motor with whats allready on it to get that little extra some thing out of it, Thanks.

Justin,

I worked with a guy whose motto was "if it is not in the rulebook, then it is our full responsibility to go there until they tell us not to” thank you USAC.

With that being said. Sounds like your assoc is pretty tight on machining of any parts - which they would notice. So take these for what they are worth.

Make it handle. Lower your CG. Move all you can to the left. Can you offset the engine? Scale it and keep track of your tire pressures to see if you can tell a difference (never noted on a garden tractor). What is the balance front to rear, cross weight? Does it push, is it loose, you run asphalt or dirt. Offset the left had rims to the left and the right side to the left to get more left hand weight, is the 17 mag liquid cooled? Put the radiator on the left. Fill the left side with lead. Use thin oil in the rear end, make it roll with the touch of your finger, are your fronts aligned, make every thing as efficient as possible. Reduce any rotational weight as much as possible (drive line, tires, clutch), put the tractor on a diet (aluminum/carbon fibre/drill bolts/tires/wheels) Practice and time laps to see what works.

Make it breath. A dyno tuned header will give you 8-10% more hp, bore your carb, velocity stack on your carb, no filter or a k&n, take out your choke plate, thin your throttle plate (sand/surface grind it very thin), use flat screws to hold the plate to the throttle post, thin the throttle post, add a spacer or two under the carb, dont paint the head or the carb (get rid of heat), run a fuel with oxygen additive - Torco fuels ~36.00 a gallon (you have to rejet), run copper shim for head gasket, reduce the valve stem diameter, run a finless flywheel (electric fans for cooling), run a light flywheel, dry film lube all friction parts, balance the engine, index the plugs, I could give you a few more, but then I would have to shoot ya
happy.gif

Anybody else want to add in.....

I still have not heard from anyone on the Cub 982 frame dimesions. Anyone have a 982 out there that can help?

Hey thanks for the help I apreciate it but my magnum is a 17 hp opposed twin. Its not liquid cooled. And as much as all of that info did help I have no idea what you were talking about it most casses. Now I would love if we could continue this to keep picking your brain because you had tones of great information. I will post a picture of my lawn mower now its is not a cub cadet sorry. But the motor did come out of a cub 2200 and so did the hood the tractor it self is a craftsman. And After puting that motor in it i needed to pute it on a diet. But all of the chassi is set up to the nine's. And that Kohler putes out bounties of torque. But as any racers I'm allways looking for that little edge.
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l70/treky67/DSCN0418.jpg]
url]
[/URL]
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l70/treky67/DSCN0405.jpg]
url]
[/URL]
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l70/treky67/DSCN0404.jpg]
url]
[/URL]
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l70/treky67/100_2481.jpg]
url]
[/URL]
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l70/treky67/Photo004.jpg]
url]
[/URL]
tell me what you think I know you guys are cub cadet fans and this is kinda the best of both worlds I pute so many pictures so you guys could get a good idea of what I'm working with thanks.
St.John,

C.D.,
These are a version of the old Titan tires. They may be ideal in some uses like plowing and such but are not a great performer in pulling applications. From what we have seen and have tried, if you are buying a 23x10.50x12 tire for pulling then the Carlisle Super Lug seems to perform best. It has nice soft sidewall and a good tread pattern with good distance between the lugs for a big bite. The Duco or Titan style tire is quite hard on the sidewall which is not really conducive to pulling. The tread is good and hard but the tread pattern is more like a field and road design (lugs close together)which is a compromise between off road dirt use and good wear. The two best pulling tires, in my opinion, if you are speaking of 26x12x12 is either the 23 degree Floatation Firestones or the Carlisle Super Lug. Both seem to work good. The Firestones are a little harder, especially on the tread and can take more aggressive tread cutting/grinding before hitting the cords. Again, this is my opinion and it is based on tractor pulling, nothing else. I figured you were inquiring about pulling since your post was located here.

I posted this in the "Machine Shop" section where there was a coupler discussion but thought someone might be interested in it here as well since it pertained to a pulling tractor. Here is the approach to a driveshaft coupler that we have successfully used in garden tractor pulling. It is strong, makes easy work of disconnecting the driveshaft, and allows for some misalignment of the components without getting vibrations, etc. In this picture the bracket for the driveshaft support bearing is not shown in place but is there in application. This is a double #60 sprocket. We used to fool with the hardened 3" long coupler but were not satisfied so we came up with this. We have had no failure or problems with it after a couple of seasons of pulling. This picture is during assembly and the driveshaft is hanging loose which makes it look like it is running downhill. The clutch is a Vogel Spline drive which uses a 1" Chromoly tube driveshaft.
53461.jpg

For anyone interested in pulling their Cub Cadets please visit our club website at www.blueridgemountainpullers.com

We have a class for just about anything you can dream up. Good people and a lot of fun. You do not have to be a member to pull and we invite anyone from any state to come join us. Thanks.

Thanks Greg. I heard about the Duros, but was kinda set on the 26-12x12 Stones. Never hurts to ask.

Howdy guys. i just have a few questions that you guys might be able to answer for me. im rebuilding my k241 but i would like to do a slight performance build. would you recommend me to bore it out to a k301 piston and use a 301 rod too? or just go for the 14hp piston and rod? what would you guys recommend to build a nice refreshed engine?

Oliver K.,
Welcome to the IHCC forum!

Rather than give you my opinion regarding your first & second questions, I'll go right to making a suggestion regarding your third question, "What would you guys recommend to build a nice refreshed engine?"

Now I'm not an old hand with these Cubs, but I have been here long enough to have seen some folks come & go. With that being said, I get the impression that you're looking for ideas and suggestions and are in the process of formulating a plan for your K241 project build.

What I think you should first do is go to:
https://www.ihcubcadet.com/KillerKohler/killer%20kohler%20part%20i.pdf

The above site covers a straight forward warmed-over rebuild by David Kirk. Much of his rebuild MAY be what you'd like to do to your engine. It is easy to read, follow and contains good information.

Then go to:
http://members.aol.com/pullingtractor/tips.htm

There is nothing magical about Brian Miller's site. However, he has already provided many answers to many questions like yours and including some you haven't thought of yet! By reading some of the information at his site and linked sites, you'll know a whale-of-lot more about building up these little Kohlers than you did. He has engine kits & performance packages that will give you ideas of various levels of performance versus cost. You don't need to buy from him, as there are many folks with similar services and parts out there. It's just that I find his information very readable and informative and will likely be helpful to you at this point. His information will also provide you with some parts interchangability information.

Now, repeat after me:
-- I CAN build a fire-breathing (pulling tractor) engine, but it will not be a good engine to mow the grass or push snow!
-- I CAN spend more $$ building up your K241 than you would need if you bought a complete OEM utility tractor!

The bottomline is this: Determining what you want your engine/tractor to accomplish and what your budget will be BEFORE you start buying parts is major - a big first step. By coming here & asking questions is a good first step toward that goal. Rather than re-writing David Kirk's or Brian Miller's info here, go there and read over it. Then come back here and let's discuss what you want to accomplish with YOUR TRACTOR & YOUR IDEAS further!

The last thing you want to do is to start buying parts that won't serve you best for your intended purpose.

Just my humble opinions, Sir....

Good Luck with your K241 project!
Keep us posted on your progress!
Ryan W
beerchug.gif

Kraig Mc C.,
(In my best version of impersonating Elvis' voice)

"Thank you, thank you very much."
bubbly.gif

Ryan W
beerchug.gif

Back