• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 13, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dslater

displayname
David Slater
Looking at the FAQ's I see that the manual transmissions are to have Hy-tran is this correct?
Thanks,
David

Timothy, are you really having that much trouble with the set screws? The second short set are to "lock" them in the holes. Don't think anyone has complained about them falling out before. If you are kidding just kick me later
blush.gif

I havent had any problems with them backing out since I cleaned the anti sieze compound off of them.They did back out on me when I put the anti sieze lube on them. It took about a week of running. Then I heard some clanking from the front of the engine. I shut it down and the set screws had come loose. So I pulled the PTO off and cleaned the sieze compound off the screws and put it back together,only putting the sieze compound on the bearing. That was back in March of 08. I havent had any problems with them backing out since so it must have been the sieze compound I put on the set screws. Now I just make sure they dont sieze up over time by loosening and retightening the set screws bout once a month or so. That way I dont have the problem of removing them in the future.
pcwhack.gif
noshare.gif

Timothy T.-

I anti-seize my setscrews, and I haven't had them come out. If you have 2 setscrews per hole like you are supposed to, you won't need to loosen/retighten them every month. You never said you had the proper number of set screws installed...

David, yes that is correct.

Timothy, Matt, Jerry, James, whomever, I put anti-seize on the set screws in my PTO and so far all is well.

Hard starting 129 Hydro.
I am having trouble starting my 129 in the cold. One thing that it is doing is to kick back on the starter. I was thinking that the timing is too early, but I was reading a posting from Dec. from Ken Ide and he mentioned that they do that. Is this normal? I think I will check the points, but I do not have a way to check the timing. There is no mark on the fly wheel, so I have just been playing with the point gap. Does anyone else have this problem? If so would an electronic ignition system, or a point saver help with the timing?
Thanks for any help
Have a great time blowing snow
elamott

the other day steve was asking how the snow blowers work here is a photo of the snow flying also is a photo of my homemade skis to float the blower on my gravel drive and thanks kraig i think i found my photo problem
113168.jpg

113169.jpg

Jeff B., looks like you have that QA dialed in!
buttrock.gif

Earl, any Kohler I've tried starting in the cold does that kick back. I believe that's caused when the compression release kicks out. Best thing I've found to prevent that is to preheat the transmission with a magnetic heater. This helps the engine turn over faster and prevents that kick back when it tries to fire. There should be a timing mark, might just be hard to see.
dunno.gif

Jerry B,
I forgot I had that liftrod until it was being talked about. I'd like to find another CCO, but it will be awhile before another Cub comes home with me I'm afraid.

Keith, I am in with you. You can hide the next one out here!
Timothy is there a chance that the threads in the pto pulley are a "loose" fit? If someone has already ran a poor quality tap"oversize" it can make a mess. Have ran into some poor stuff in Harbor Freight quality tools. An oversize tap is not funny. You can check the tap in a NEW nut.
There is enough room to drill the hub-pulley to the next size if you have to, The centering will still work for the bearing lockup.

Santa came today:
113173.jpg

Aaron told me he'd send me one -- then he sent me two. He's already posted pics of a pump-in-tractor trunnion repair installation, so I'm going to show a pump out-of-tractor repair. Very soon, because I want to be #1 after Aaron.
I got some Cub time today. A lot. Took Lucy a mile or so down the road and fulfilled my obligation of cleaning my Uncle's driveway (while he's warm and happy in Mississippi. Got back home and Fernando did me the favor of starting (again) so we threw snow for another 3 hours. And I know --
worthless.gif
I think we saved the life of our $1200 temporary quonset by cleaning the built up snow from its sides.
Please excuse me, I'm on a roll. Watching too much (or not enough) of Fox TV.
But wait: There's more:
beerchug.gif
I try very hard to be honest, especially when it comes to the Cubs. I know there's a disclaimer in the Classifieds and it should be there. I made an order with Charlie and he sent it out before he even had a chance to get the check, never mind it clearing. I'd like to think that that's the way we can do business in the Classifieds. Whatever.
This is kind of neat-- a moderator can
explotar2jr.gif
this post.
bottom.gif

(under edit) Who stretched this, or even better,who's gonna unstretch this?
happy.gif

Earl my 129 kicks back occasionaly in the cold. Just seems normal. If memory serves me right the points are set to .019" thats is all there is to setting the timing. I have never used the light or anything else. I'll check the Kohler manual in the am when I get to work to make sure on the gap.
Shift.gif

the bar across the inside of my 100 hood is missing how would i replace that or should i even bother?

I set the carb at the starting points and get the engine up to temp. Then I adjust the points while it's running to where it sounds like it's running right and then lock the points down. After that I adjust the carb to where it's running great.

Works for me.

Matt,
The cross brace is missing on my 100 also. Jerry B measured his and if I remember right he said it should be 13" across and 3" wide. You should be able to get some 16ga strap at a good hardware store to bend up and weld in place. Something I've been meaning to do for some time now. The rattle drives me crazy at low idle.

Keith:
No timing light ?? I'm not sure how close you can get setting timing by ear - by the time you can hear it getting "lazy", the engine could be firing after TDC.. and you'll really know it if it's early! As much of a PITA as it is, I've found the best way to set a small engine is to timing marks, if it's got 'em.. BTW - I used to set small block Chevy's by ear - crank that advance in 'till it kicked back against the starter....just right!!
clappy.gif

nice pic i guess they work good i will have to make a set of thoes skids for the snow blower i'm going to pick it up today an then rewire my 126 an get it going when i get it i'll take pics an keep you guys posted

O.K. Gang... I replaced the clutch assemply on the 104 seem to go rather smoothly until I went to start it up... The metal cage/screen protecting the flywheel has broken off the pulley (Not the clutch cage, the one attached to the engine). could this have been the cause to break the roll pins off in the clutch assembly? How do you get that sucker off with out removing all engine bolts clutch etc??? Any reason why that would break off the bolts connecting the pulley, if you look at it you couldn't tell until you start the engine a sparks start flying...Thanks Guys!!!

6" of nice medium fluffy snow last night...looks like fun after work today, provided I get it moved before it drops down to less than -10 deg like they are predicting for tonight.

And the most important question....blade on 1872???? or thrower on 782???????...or both?????
happy.gif
happy.gif

i whent outside this am to the local coffe shop an it was 6 outside i'm kinda glad we didnt get any snow

Back