• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 10, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't match Kendall Ide's extension cord reel (operating at 50 feet per second), but I did discover that a dog tie-out cable also retracts rather rapidly and stores neatly. Oh, and as an added bonus, that pesky hand rail on the steps off the deck won't be bothering anyone anytime soon - the one the cable was connected to.

219409.jpg

You know, it was easier when my daughters were kids - I could ground them (or something!) if they did something stupid like connecting a dog tie-out to a rail and then leaving town with the cable under new snow!
bash.gif

Frank C.
You call that a minor tuneup on the 125. I'd hate to see a major one
bouncy.gif

Greg Lippert

Snow throwers can be fun lol. How did you get the cable off the drum ?
1a_scratchhead.gif
Did you remove the pto belt and attach the cord and then back up slow ? Or was cutting pliers used ?

Don - There were actually two separate cables that had gotten twisted up and left that way. (Two daughters each had a dog tied out, then left town with the cables under snow.) The gray one
in the center was loose enough to just unwind. The red one was jammed pretty tight between the end of the auger drum and the chain sprocket. I used a cutting wheel on a Dremmel tool to cut it
into segments. It actually came out pretty easily. It took longer to get the chain back on and adjusted. Could've been worse!

All-right Kraig jump in and fix the streched forum
cwm.gif

Greg : I bet that red cord was a B~#*%%! pain
To get out of there, The dogs where off the leash right !!! lol
roflol.gif

Hi guys! Have a tire and rim question. I just bought some Vredestein V61 18x8.50x8 and Carlisle Tru-Power 26x12x12 tires for my 1572. Anyone have any experience (or pics) mounting the Tru-Powers on the standard 8.5" width SGT rim vs. a 10.5" width rim (more curved vs. flatter profile)? I am looking at the differences in stance this will provide with the V61s on front. I have seen pics of the V61 and standard 18x8.50x8 tires with the V61s sitting taller. Will the 10.5" width rims make the back of the tractor look noticeably lower? Thanks for any recommendations and pics that you may
have, especially with the 10.5" width SGT rims.

Also, how big of a difference will be noticed running these 26x12x12 Tru-Powers in a plow furrow when mounted on 8.5" vs. 10.5" width rims?

Charlie, if it makes you happier, how about posting some pics of a red 982 instead of a "157whatever" - Geez....

S. Blunier, I see you have V61s mounted on your 2072. What's on the rear rims?

Frank C,

You might as well go for axle seals, brake pucks, new Hy-Tran/filter, rag joint, and perhaps wheel bearings... Each part isn't too expensive, and it's a lot easier to do now, instead of when it fails....

BRYAN C. - I don't have any experience with Carlisle Tru-Power 26-12.00's, but my 26-12.00 Firestones seem to make the back of my 982 sit just a bit lower than the old Carlisles (Not Tru-Powers) did.

I'd really like to put a set of V61's on the frt of my 70 & 72, the factory tires on both are getting very weather checked, and the casing, cord plys rip/fail occasionally, but they don't make a 4.00/4.80 X 8.

ANYHOW, the narrower 8-1/2" wide rim will round out the tire profile more than the 10-1/2" wide rim, but watching inflation pressure, running a couple pounds less PSI will make them put the full width of the tire on the ground. The over-all dia. of the tire shouldn't vary much with either rim, maybe 1/4" of dia. at most, the narrow rim just sucks the sidewalls in more. If the V61 18-8.50's are taller than your current frt tires your 1572 will have a nose-up attitude, but probably not that much.

Far as plowing with those 26-12.00X12's, you won't be able to tell ANY difference between 8-1/2 and 10-1/2 in wide rims. The 12" wide tire will compact a bit of the last furrow turned but won't effect your traction on the furrow wheel. I've plowed with my 982 a bit following 10" Brinly plows and the land wheel ALWAYS spins first. Even with full size tractors you struggle fr grip on the land wheel first. We ran 15.5 rear tires over thousands of acres plowing with 14" bottoms without issues on the furrow wheels, I've even used 18.4's in 14 inch furrows!

Scott Tanner... 149 showing signs of life!!!

If he does all that we mentioned he will have a tractor that should run quite some time before he has any breakdowns.I think that would take a day if he had all the parts on hand.

Its going to be a 125 day here. The steering wheel is giving me a pain,It don`t want to come off.I think I`am going to pull the rear end today. by tonight I should be able to stand the tractor on its end. I just have to get started
coffee.gif

Dennis Frisk
Air pressure, I`am a little hesitant to run low air pressure in some of my Cub tires because of weather checking. I thought with all the flexing with the weather checking It would cause the tire to separate.I will put lower air pressure in the 149 tire this morning when I install the two sets of weights. I bet low air pressure will make the chains ride smother on the paved drive.
thumbsup_old.gif

If we get the snow they say we will, I'll have to get the 70 out and throw some snow from the drive so I can go checkout some Cub Cadets. Just talked with 3 different people who want to sell me some tractors. Here's the list: 4 "O"s, 100, 102, 108, 106, 122 restored,127,129 and a 1250 w/new motor. Plus 2 "O" fender sets and a nice pan seat. Now if I only had Frank's money (you know, the guy with the Vette)
dunno.gif

Mike LaMar

Wow that is quite a list of tractors. Frank is probaly like the rest of us lol, no money , its all invested in man toys lol.
clappy.gif

DONALD - This summer, one day out grading with the 70, one of the 45 yr old GY 6-12 turfs was getting a little lower on PSI than I thought and the sidewall RIPPED a hole about 4-5 inches long. I was really leaning on the old girl, making her bark in 1st gear and imagine the tire only had maybe 2 PSI.

As long as the sidewalls aren't Buckling it shouldn't hurt much. And if the tire fails like mine did, well, they really weren't in very good shape anyhow. I've had several tire casings rip apart that were weather checked, even had one blow on my old cart yrs ago. I'd just parked it from hauling some tree branches to the burn pile, cart was empty, then "BANG!
poof.gif
I made a trip to the hardware store for two new tires & tubes. One frt tire on the 72 blew about 2 yrs ago sitting in the shop, put a boot in the tire & patched the tube, and the old rear tires on the 129 were ripping apart down the center so bad I finally replaced them when I had tire boots half way around the tire.

These little tractors roll easier with more tire PSI, but they do ride rougher. I checked the 1X8/9 manual and 12 PSI is recommended for all tires, and in my opinion that is as high as I would go. For comparison, the 70/100 manual recommends 6 PSI for "normal conditions and 8 PSI for heavy load conditions. Sometimes I will air up frt tires to 18-20 PSI if I mount something heavy on the frt tires, helps them steer easier. But you have to have decent tires for them to hold that much psi.

Back